"Laughing Stock"

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

"Laughing Stock"

Post by silentseason »

"Laughing Stock"
-Running time: 2:27
-Recorded: January 30 and 31, 1968 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Arthur Lee
-Lead vocal: Arthur Lee
-Lead guitar: Johnny Echols
-Rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-Bass: Kenny Forssi
-Drums: Michael Stuart

-The title of the song came from the fact that Arthur and Johnny, after smoking some herb prior to recording, could not stop laughing to get a usuable take of the song until after an hour or so.
-This song was essentially created in the studio. Bryan started off playing some random notes, to be joined in by Kenny, Michael and Johnny until a groove was established. During this time Arthur improvised some lyrics and the song was born.
-Alpha/Omega: In the last single Arthur references the first single in the lyrics. Clairvoyant or no?
-In a symbolic way this song is an allegory for the bands demise. Listen towards the end of the song as the rhythm breaks down and the music ends in discord and then sort of fades away abruptly. Along with the self reference to 'Little Red Book' this is an eerie preview for the band's fate in 1968.
-The 'Fred' in the beginning dirge/chant of this song is no one in particular. The name was choosen probably because it rhymed with bed.
-Myth buster: Jim Morrison did not sing background vocals on this song as been bandied about.
-Fun fact/Quotable: Arthur was a man of great abilities but he also had his deficiencies at times. If you are fortunate enough to own a 1970's LP copy of Forever Changes you will have proof of one of his more petty ones. Some copies of the record printed from this time neglect to list Michael as the drummer for the album. Michael explains why:

"I've seen copies of that particular Forever Changes. I don't know for certain (the reason that edition eliminated me from the credits), but considering the timeline, I can use a little deductive reasoning and come up with a pretty good guess.

It came out (I believe) in the early-to-mid-seventies, which was right around the time Tjay and I took Arthur to court and won a settlement for past-due royalties. Could be Arthur was miffed. He hated to lose.

Why didn't the other guys join in the suit? I wasn't able to find Johnny or Bryan and Kenny wasn't interested.

Strange isn't it, that we (yes, I've done it too) sometimes feel the need to conjure up an explanation for Arthur's occasional forays into the unexplainable by characterizing it simply as Arthur just being Arthur?

So why do we do it? Because we want to like the whole Arthur. He gave us so much joy and pleasure, his insight was so gargantuan, and his talent so profound, we don't want to think he could do something selfish, or arrogant or mean. Besides, it doesn't make any sense does it? How can the two opposing entities coexist so peacefully in the same human being?

You know...I hear Einstein was a lousy cook. Seriously. Couldn't bake a potato."

-IMHO: Even though this song is the B side to the single, it is in no way or shape a 'filler'. Although only roughly two minutes in length, it is almost like three songs in one: the beginning chant, 180 degree turn into straight rocker, then fade to dissolution. Very much a total band effort all around, it is LoVE at it's musical and mystical best.
- A quick coda on the band members after this single was issued.
Arthur: Continued to make music either solo or with other incarnations of LoVE despite personal and legal issues. Died August 2, 2006 in Memphis TN due to acute myeloid leukemia.
Johnny: Left the world of pop music after LoVE but continued to teach music and do some studio work in New York and Arizona. Still plays occaisionally around the LA area with other LoVE associated members.
Bryan: Became a reborn Christian in the 70's and made music in that vein. He had really turned his life around before he unexpectedly died December 25, 1998 of a heart attack while giving an interview about LoVE in LA.
Kenny: Most tragic of all members, Kenny went through bad addictions and never really got his life back on track after leaving LoVE. Died January 10, 1998 of brain cancer in Tallahassee FL.
Michael: Continued to work in the music business drumming immediately after LoVE. After that he has led a quiet life but continues to drum and wrote Pegasus Carousel, the only insider account about the group.
Tjay: I must admit I know nothing of his life after Da Capo. I would assume he continued to make his living off of music, beyond that I can confirm nothing. I do not know if he is still alive. I have read where he supposedly died of AIDS from an infected needle. Once again, none of this can be verified so please do not take it as fact. If anyone can help me on this, please do so.
Snoopy: Was involved in music on the fringes after LoVE, but nothing of note. He is still alive and living in his own unique way in Washington state.

Lyrics:

Here we are
Our hands are all untied
We’d rather walk than ride
Then ride and ride and ride, ride, ride
Ride and ride and ride
There you stand
Your eyes are in your head
You should have stayed in bed
Oh, Fred in bed and ride, ride, ride
Fred in bed and ride

I keep on tellin’ myself
Everything is gonna change
Then I find someone to blame
And the people that I see won’t bother me

I keep on hidin’ myself
Away from everything
But I think if it should rain
I guess I wanna be where it don't fall on me

I keep on playin’ my drums hey!
I keep on singin’ my songs,
I just got out my little red
I keep on doin’ all the
Things I shouldn’t have to do

I keep on buildin’ my hopes
And you keep tearin’ them down
What is this foolin’ around
Are we supposed to be like history

I keep on playin’ my drums, drums
I keep on singin’ my songs, oh, yeah
I keep on doin’ all the things that I shouldn’t have to do

-The Final Word: Only one proper way to end this series. Arthur Lee: "Love on earth must be".
Last edited by silentseason on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You set the scene
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

As this is the last of the series a couple of thank you's are needed.
jtk-Thanks for the advice and kind words.
Bally-Thanks for the keen eye and knowledge. The series benefitted greatly from this.
Ed-Thanks for the Forum and tolerance for me to indulge in my little project.

It was 'the greatest fun'. :)
You set the scene
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Although I haven't responded much, I enjoyed reading it a lot as you probably know.
Thanks for your research and input!
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

You're very welcome, silentseason. Thank you for all of the work that you put into this project. I really enjoyed reading it, and learned some interesting things.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Hey John...this series was & is great!

I hope you will post it all in one subject now for easy reference & a fine read, as we discussed. It would be nice to have it all in one "book" here to access at will.

re: "Laughing Stock" is a favorite which goes to show that if this lineup of Love had continued, somehow, there was still great music to be made. But it was that special chemistry that Arthur+Johnny+Bryan+Kenny+Michael had together that made them so magical, and IMPOSSIBLE to duplicate in any other incarnation of LoVE!

re re: I have a first pressing of FC with Michael credited of course....I suppose it was Arthur's own inside joke or jab...you're no drummer of mine, dude!

RE RE RE: I do wish Michael had not turned down the chance, when asked, to drum for Love on that UK tour...was that the 90's or 2000's tour?
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

An error in my entry for the lyrics to Laughing Stock has been pointed out and corrected. The lines "What a thing to fix your brain, I guess I want to be where it don't follow me" were incorrect. The correct lines are "But I think if it should rain, I guess I wanna be where it don't fall on me". These have been slotted in.
You set the scene
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I always thought it was...

I keep on tellin’ myself
Everything is gonna change
Then I find someone to blame

I think it makes more sense that way.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I agree, bally. Sung, to my logic, as follows..

I keep on tellin’ myself everything is gonna change...
then I find someone to blame, and the people that I see won’t bother me.

For another listen..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AK4E0hUB-8

..I find lyrics from various lyric sites to be often wrong.

=)
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Score another one for Bally. Change noted and entered. I also note that the last line of the song "I keep on doin' all the things I shouldn't have to do" is actually "I keep on doing all the things that I shouldn't have to do". Hopefully this is the last error or I will be a laughing stock!!

Cheers fellow LoVE-heads. :D
You set the scene