Pegasus Carousel

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Yes, the new one.I haven't read it now for some years, so it's nice to read it again.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For Michael,

Haven't had a chance to read 'Pegaus' yet so I hope I am not asking questions too obvious or that are answered in the pages of the book. A couple of basic ones:

1) How was the title 'Pegaus Carosel' thought up? The myth of Pegasus in regards to Love seems accurate, but I am at a loss for the Carosel part.

2) When and why did you decide to write it? Did it have any cathartic effect for you?

Thanks for your replies on the other questions.
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

pegasus

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

To Silentseason, Right you are regarding the mythical horses as a metaphor for some of the myths surrounding life in the entertainment industry. (check the Dana Andrews vignette.) The carousel represents all the going around in circles and not getting anywhere substantially meaningful, which is the feeling everybody experiences in life.

Why did I write the book? In early 1998 I ran across a copy of the "Love Story" compilation in a Reno Sam Goody's Record shop, so I contacted the Love Society's Mark Linn and he put me in touch with a young writer in L.A. named Kevin Delaney, who he said was writing a Love bio. Kevin sent me a plethora of interviews and other information he was using to write the book, to find out if everything looked accurate, and I immediately saw a bunch of misinformation, so when Kevin wasn't able to find a publishing company to handle the book I decided to take it over and just put it out on compact disc. You know... to set the record straight. Then Helter Skelter became interested and published it as a regular book in 2003.

The misinformation?... stuff like giving Hal Blaine the credit for playing drums on "Daily Planet". It was Jim Gordon. (Hal was a member of the Wrecking Crew alright, but he was tied up at another session, so Jim took his place, as he sometimes did). Another mistake contained in some of the interviews was giving Carol Kaye credit for playing bass on the same cut. Kenny played the bass part. Carol was bumped over to rhythm guitar. And that we were all crying really big tears when Elektra brought in the studio cats and chicks. Although we were, in fact, all sitting on the couch sulking and pissed off and wanting to kill somebody, we weren't crying. I think maybe whoever said we were crying, got us mixed up with "The Babies" who also did some recording at Sunset Sound.

There's other stuff as well, regarding the drugs and the part they played (or didn't play) in our demise. All in the new book. Coming soon at a bookstore near us all.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

FYI, I just received this from Amazon:

...Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Michael Stuart-Ware "Love: Behind the Scenes on the Pegasus Carousel with the Legendary Rock Group"
Estimated arrival date: August 29 2011 - September 02 2011
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

BallroomDays67 wrote:FYI, I just received this from Amazon:

...Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Michael Stuart-Ware "Love: Behind the Scenes on the Pegasus Carousel with the Legendary Rock Group"
Estimated arrival date: August 29 2011 - September 02 2011
Yeah...that is what Michael told me...they did not want to overlap with another new release. Giving Pegasus it's proper moment in the sun without getting lost with other new releases.

All we have is patience...
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
MichaelStuart-Ware

pegasus

You know, this thought just occurred to me (and I have no idea if it would do any good whatsoever,) but anybody who is interested in speeding up the process of getting the new edition of Pegasus out there, can email my publishing company at sales@helterskelterpublishing.com and let them know how you feel.
jamestkirk

Re: pegasus

Post by jamestkirk »

MichaelStuart-Ware wrote:You know, this thought just occurred to me (and I have no idea if it would do any good whatsoever,) but anybody who is interested in speeding up the process of getting the new edition of Pegasus out there, can email my publishing company at sales@helterskelterpublishing.com and let them know how you feel.
...sounds like it might be worth a try!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Good idea, Michael, never hurts to try.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

From Amazon.com:

Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience...

:cry:
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Not even a sticker?

Seems if it's about Love stuff, nobody seems to hurry.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

BallroomDays67 wrote:From Amazon.com:

Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience...

:cry:
I'll ask Michael if he will be getting us an eBook at least of the revised edition....

At least I have my signed-by-Michael first edition.

Bummer though, for those waiting for the "new" book that don't have it at all!

-Aldous Huxley
MichaelStuart-Ware

pegasus

Hey Ed, I'm told the updated version (entitled Pegasus Epitaph) is almost ready to go. I'll send you a review copy as soon as they become available.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

MichaelStuart-Ware wrote:Hey Ed, I'm told the updated version (entitled Pegasus Epitaph) is almost ready to go. I'll send you a review copy as soon as they become available.
Brilliant, Michael.

Cheers to you.

Scott

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Great news, Michael! I assume Amazon will have it back up for pre-order when they have the updated info.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

MichaelStuart-Ware wrote:Hey Ed, I'm told the updated version (entitled Pegasus Epitaph) is almost ready to go. I'll send you a review copy as soon as they become available.

Hey Michael,

Good to hear from you, it's been a while.
Thanks in advance for the review copy, let me know if you still have my address.Look forward to it, like we all do.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

The Freedom Man wrote:

Hey Michael,

Good to hear from you, it's been a while.
Thanks in advance for the review copy, let me know if you still have my address.Look forward to it, like we all do.
Michael is unsure if some of my psychedelicized pix of Michael made it into the revised book--he submitted them...let me know please if there are any credited to me. I'm not holding my breath but it would be cool.

Thanks

:wink:

-Aldous Huxley
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

When I know, you know!
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I asked Michael if I could post this...his reply--

"Sure you can post it. Thanks to you and everybody else who has maintained an interest in the further adventures of Pegasus over the course of these years. I hope the wait will be worth it.

Nothing's for sure until it happens.

I don't fault the people at amazon for giving up. If I were them I would have given up a couple of years ago.

Shortly after (Helter Skelter president) Sean Body suggested the republishing back in 2006, I was a little surprised to see amazon putting copies up for order to the public; and I thought back then that it was a little bit premature because I hadn't even written the revisions yet. Fact is, I think Sean knew he was about to die so he wanted to hurry things along. And I thought "Maybe that's how publishing companies do things." You know...put books up for sale before they're actually finished..

Then, after Sean died, the company was passed along to his brother, who had no interest and he sold (or gave) it to the current owner, the former art director, Graeme Milton. Where was I (and the people who had already ordered the new book)? Caught in the middle.

Years passed and we've all been waiting and waiting and waiting while Graeme and his new staff conquered the labyrinth of financial difficulty they faced, trying to save Helter Skelter (always a tiny company from the get-go) from the ravages of a downward economy.

But in the meantime, I've continued to make quality revisions and the revised book has gotten better, and since I had no real control over the situation anyway, I was philosophical.

I guess it's only been a couple of months since Graeme contacted me and told me the company had finally obtained the financing for the revision and now the new book was on the front burner. Since then, we've been in close contact, the revisions are done and the book is ready for printing.

Really? We'll see. I'll give it a little more time before I go ahead with any plan to put the ebook version out there, partly Scott because of what you said when I asked you what you thought about "real book versus ebook". You chose real book. Good choice. I can always do the ebook."

--Michael Stuart-Ware

-Aldous Huxley