Missing studio reels

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

StrangeNightOfStone

Missing studio reels

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

I believe I read that the Doors camp still have all of the studio sessions tapes for the Morrison Hotel and LA Woman sessions. That being said, it's always possible stuff got erased.

When that studio reel popped up at auction (and was pulled) with multiple takes of WTMO, as well as Queen of The Highway and I Will Never Be Untrue, I was a bit puzzled- was it a mix of studio sessions tapes from both the Strange Days and The Soft Parade sessions?

The fact that the Rock Is Dead jam from the Soft Parade sessions leaked out on boot decades ago suggests that reel was pinched- Plus there was the tape with different takes of the 'Petition the Lord' intro of 'The Soft parade', as well as Jim's vocal from the middle part of 'Roadhouse Blues' ,

SO...looking back at all of the pre Other Voices Doors albums, which sessions have the largest holes in regards to studio reels that have vanished?

Did the Doors simply erase the material, throw it in the dumpster or were the tapes stolen? They must have recorded versions of I Can't See Your Face In My Mind in it's original fast tempo. There must be early versions of Strange Days, without the vocal distortions- hell, there SHOULD be early working demos of just about every song the Doors song ever recorded. What happened to those recordings? Did they just tape over them?

The Doors camp did turn up 2 alternate studio versions of Moonlight Drive- one had clearly been intended for the debut album but was left off, but the second Moonlight Drive really interested me- it was a polished finished version- was that from a reel of material for the first or second album? Where did they find it?
Last edited by StrangeNightOfStone on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Well that recent auction proves they do not have everything from MH, because there were reels that included Queen Of The Highway, Maggie M'Gill, The Spy, WFTS and they were dated 12-69. The Doors purchased about 6 MH reels and some of that material appeared on Perception. Bruce and Jeff claim they do not have the reel with Who Do You Love/RHB alternate and false starts.

We don't know for sure what they have and don't have. Jeff and Bruce have both been pretty tight lipped.

They have everything from LAW....except Paris Blues. I'd like to know what other things were on the PB reel.
StrangeNightOfStone

wha happened wrote:Well that recent auction proves they do not have everything from MH, because there were reels that included Queen Of The Highway, Maggie M'Gill, The Spy, WFTS and they were dated 12-69. The Doors purchased about 6 MH reels and some of that material appeared on Perception. Bruce and Jeff claim they do not have the reel with Who Do You Love/RHB alternate and false starts.

We don't know for sure what they have and don't have. Jeff and Bruce have both been pretty tight lipped.

They have everything from LAW....except Paris Blues. I'd like to know what other things were on the PB reel.

I really wish the Doors had done a better job at keeping records on what was recorded and when. The Beatles in contrast seemed meticulous in record keeping- A great Beatles book came out years back that was a day by day chronology of the Beatles in the studio, listing which songs were recorded and when, alternate versions, how many takes, etc.

Such a book exploring the Doors studio sessions would be a great resourse not only to Doors fans, but also to the Doors camp as well
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
StrangeNightOfStone

wha happened wrote:Well that recent auction proves they do not have everything from MH, because there were reels that included Queen Of The Highway, Maggie M'Gill, The Spy, WFTS and they were dated 12-69. The Doors purchased about 6 MH reels and some of that material appeared on Perception. Bruce and Jeff claim they do not have the reel with Who Do You Love/RHB alternate and false starts.

Any word if the Doors camp aquired those reels from the auction, and if the material will come out? If the Doors camp threatened the seller with legal action, it might have caused him to panic, and destroy the tapes, or secretly sell them underground..
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

Last edited by Chris M on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buda

Post by Buda »

bump
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
StrangeNightOfStone

Chris M wrote:
StrangeNightOfStone wrote:Any word if the Doors camp aquired those reels from the auction, and if the material will come out?
My apologies for the snarky tone but.....what kind of question is that? We just filled 20 pages pouring over every possible aspect of the auction and the reels..

I've been sticking to the London Fog and LA Woman thread, so if there was a seperate thread about the studio reels, then that's news to me.
The auction was pulled, Jeff said due to legal actions he couldn't fully comment on the current fate of the reels. If they were aquired and are coming out, that's news to me. Obviously i don't know the answer, hence my asking.

Tell you what, rather than mocking my question, can someone just cite the thread where the current fate of the auctioned studio reels is being discussed? As far as I know, the Doors don't have the tapes..yet. I hope Im wrong
Last edited by StrangeNightOfStone on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
StrangeNightOfStone

Chris M wrote:
StrangeNightOfStone wrote:Any word if the Doors camp aquired those reels from the auction, and if the material will come out?
I don't mean to be a prick but the endless barrage of questions of late, questions people can't reasonably expect will be answered makes the threads hard to read. Like this...

So i should remain silent?
We all share a common interest in the Doors, and are very excited about the prospects of new material coming out- and no doubt redundant questions will be asked- that is unavoidable on message boards. and some questions deemed as important by some may be dismissed as trivial by others.
I don't read every thread, so sure, i've missed some info detailed elsewhere.
Rather than lecture people posting questions and passing judgement of the quality of their inquiry (and not providing any answers), you are bringing very little of substance to the conversation. Why not skip the threads you don't like all together?
I've seen this kind of behavior all too often on Titanic research message boards, where someone asks details about a specific expedition, or details about a technical aspect of ship- yet some angry techie pipes in asserting these questions were answered in other threads, and then go on to mock the question that was posed. This just discourages people from participating in the conversation. We should be encouraging questions, not ridiculing them. I tell my students, there are no stupid questions, there are only stupid answers. In the end, we're all Doors fans, and we all love the music
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I started a thread abut them in the Audio section> Doors Latest Acquisition
StrangeNightOfStone

wha happened wrote:I started a thread abut them in the Audio section> Doors Latest Acquisition

Thanks Greg- i missed it then, I've been lingering mainly in the Bright Midnight & General Discussions areas. Crikey, i forgot about that thread in Audio. i'm usually elsewhere on Titanic research message boards, so it's hard to juggle all these threads.
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote: Rather than lecture people posting questions and passing judgement of the quality of their inquiry (and not providing any answers), you are bringing very little of substance to the conversation. Why not skip the threads you don't like all together?
I take your point and I sincerely apologize. I was out of order there.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:
wha happened wrote:I started a thread abut them in the Audio section> Doors Latest Acquisition

Thanks Greg- i missed it then, I've been lingering mainly in the Bright Midnight & General Discussions areas. Crikey, i forgot about that thread in Audio. i'm usually elsewhere on Titanic research message boards, so it's hard to juggle all these threads.
Easiest is just to look in the top right when you log in and click "View posts since last visit", which shows you all threads that have changed since you were last here, new or old.
StrangeNightOfStone

Chris M wrote:
StrangeNightOfStone wrote: Rather than lecture people posting questions and passing judgement of the quality of their inquiry (and not providing any answers), you are bringing very little of substance to the conversation. Why not skip the threads you don't like all together?
actually, re-reading my resposone, I came off as a prick, so I apologize.
We're all friends here. :)
MajorMojo

Re: Missing studio reels

Post by MajorMojo »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:I believe I read that the Doors camp still have all of the studio sessions tapes for the Morrison Hotel and LA Woman sessions.
They have the Botnick LA Woman sessions, but I don't think they have access to any of the album stuff from when Rothchild was onboard likely including his week of recording, Paris Blues and the Kreiger home demos.

Jampols recent quotes regarding locating Paris Blues("haven't exhausted all options") and regarding the 5 disc LAW box("everything we have" which leaves the possibility Rothchild estate is still holding)
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote: We're all friends here. :)
Yes indeed :)
avp2029

Post by avp2029 »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:
Chris M wrote:
actually, re-reading my resposone, I came off as a prick, so I apologize.
We're all friends here. :)
That's good, I just came here from the Doors.com forums (been there since '04) and there's certain people there that make it absolutely impossible to discuss anything. I'm glad this place is different.
"It's still alive inside of me" - Little Steven
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

avp2029 wrote:
That's good, I just came here from the Doors.com forums (been there since '04) and there's certain people there that make it absolutely impossible to discuss anything. I'm glad this place is different.
Welcome. Image
avp2029

Post by avp2029 »

TheDoorsMusic wrote:
avp2029 wrote:
Welcome. Image
Thanks
avp2029

Post by avp2029 »

I'd really like to know if they were able to acquire those reels.
Buda

Post by Buda »

If I think about lawyers and everything else associated regarding "acquiring" then I guess they are still in the process...
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk