Vionce,WAS New Orleans Recorded?

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

secrethostofthetownship

Vionce,WAS New Orleans Recorded?

Post by secrethostofthetownship »

Vince,WAS the Doors' Final Concert w/ Jim in New Orleans in Decemeber of 1970 recorded?

Thanks
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Again, I think Vince said he wasn't sure. But I don't know what other info you need except for an audio sample or the tape holder's phone number to prove this was recorded. It's 2-track. Certain people we contacted that worked at the Warehouse all speak of it being recorded, who recorded it, and who has the tape. I've heard from about 3 people that were in the audience, one still has his sparkler that Jim handed him, remember the tape machine rolling. It's not a rumor or myth or a matter of finding the person with it. It's a matter of making a deal for it. Not to mention the actual tape holder went public (after his name was known for years among collectors). Don't believe the "spin" by management and friends that want you to believe it's a rumor or the tape holder is the one to blame for no deal being made. The tape holder let at least one person hear the tape. This person described what he heard and passed on buying it. Then I read about management not wanting or not willing to offer some large sum of money for any tape. They are more concerned about how much money they will make back on the investment. It is their legacy, they should buy up any audio and film they can. Who cares how much you will get back. It's not like there are thousands of tapes out there. With such an historic show like New Orleans, no matter how terrible, should be purchased. What if Miami wasn't circulating? I have a feeling they wouldn't be that concerned with buying that one either. The band makes millions per year and worth many many more. In the grand scheme of things, is 50k, or 100k for a crisp soundboard tape THAT much? There should be a yearly fund set aside per year for buying back audio, film and photos.
I'm not holding my breath for these rare gems anymore. Judging by the rushed documentary production and 90min (?) running time, the Doors have suddenly become a bore. A true documentary/anthology by THE band themselves should be multi hour, multi dvd.