Cow Palace 1969 - The Soft Parade (live)

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

hardrockcafe

Cow Palace 1969 - The Soft Parade (live)

Post by hardrockcafe »

Hi Vince

Can you share your recollections about the 1969 Cow Palace gig in San Francisco? Did the band perform The Soft Parade (the song) at this show?

Thanks!
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Vince

Didn't you do some 16mm filming at this show? If so what happened to the footage? What was the film originally intended for? Has it ever been released?
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

Hello Vince how are you? Hope youre doing well in Korea. How does the organ building goes ? I have toured Europe and now i am
heading back to Greece , have seen a lot of these enormous instruments and i must say they are huge and very complex instruments , very well crafted and beautiful. I wonder how long does it take to learn to play this kind of instrument.

As far as CP concert is concerned , will you ever / do you have already visited the place where you have stored it tp see If the tape is ok? Will you / do you have already transfered it to digital format?

Some other questions if youre able to answer them:

Do you remember how long does the tape(s) run?

Was it a good performance?

If i may ask what are your plans with the footage , selling it to the management , keeping it , sharing it , selling it to some collector . ?

Have you shot another concert except Cow Palace ?

Thanks Vince

Best regards from Greece , your autograph is still hanged on my wall .
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

just bumping the thread in case you missed it Vince .

Let us know about another holy grail ( 16mm footage of Cow Palace to me is certainly a holy grail )

thanks
coopenstein

Post by coopenstein »

[quote="lizardkingteo"]just bumping the thread in case you missed it Vince .
Let us know about another holy grail ( 16mm footage of Cow Palace to me is certainly a holy grail )

Yeah, anymore info regarding this footage would be highly appreciated... Does anyone else know how the quality is supposed to be, and how long it might be...?
"Let's feed Ice Cream to the Rats..."
Buda

Post by Buda »

400 feet of 16mm silent color footage (12 minutes) shot from the stage by Vince Treanor. Although Vince parted with the recordings (audio) he made of Vancouver, Seattle and Bakersfield in 1970, this mid-1969 film remains his personal property.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
coopenstein

Post by coopenstein »

Buda wrote:400 feet of 16mm silent color footage (12 minutes) shot from the stage by Vince Treanor. Although Vince parted with the recordings (audio) he made of Vancouver, Seattle and Bakersfield in 1970, this mid-1969 film remains his personal property.
Thanks for the info Buda. Been away for the forum for a while, so I am not in on all the details discussed here. :oops:
But I suppose we have asked Vince about, and he has comfirmed he still has it, but not interested in releasing it in any way...?
"Let's feed Ice Cream to the Rats..."
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

I think he wants to sell it to the highest bidder. We talked about pooling money together and buying it that way, but for some reason Vince wanted to sell it to one person and one person alone.

Correct me if I'm wrong?
vince

Post by vince »

Hello Forum People:

I still have the footage. It is in a vault in LA. I think it should be passed along as I am getting on in years. I have not considered how I should dispose of it. I know several people would like to have it. Once again, it is 16MM, silent, taken from the floor of the hall in front of the stage. The camera was hand held and the images quite steady. It runs about 11 minutes in all and remains in a single piece.

Much of the equipment I had was stoled form my house by my landlady or her children. I still have mikes and some other things - 6 slides in Hawaii.

My problem - I don't want to travel. I used to love it, even the wait in the airport. The plane, the movies, meals and occasional friendly smile form the stewardesses. Now, just the thought of going through the "Screening" is enough to keep me earth-bound.

I am not apathetic - rather indecisive - and a long way from access.

Your thoughts are welcome.....

Vince
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors