Is Stockholm 68 the best pro-recorded 1968 performance?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

hardrockcafe

Is Stockholm 68 the best pro-recorded 1968 performance?

Post by hardrockcafe »

Is Stockholm 68 the best pro-recorded stereo 1968 Doors performance verified to exist? The circulating recording is in stereo. Do multis exist? It seems like Jim was in better form for this gig vs. Hollywood Bowl.

Any chance The Doors will license the Stockholm shows from Swedish radio or whoever owns it and publish it on CD?
Buda

Post by Buda »

Besides Isle Of Wight and Hollywood Bowl this is the only superb soundboard recording but unfortunately there is still some bad blood between the Doors and the rightholders if I'm right that delays this from releasing (and also being available on bootlegs for decades).
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

Jeff mentioned it not too long ago on the LL as a possible future release, but that's not saying much. AFAIK, it's only a 2-track recording, but the masters should sound better than what's circulating right now. It will also be fantastic to hear the late show finally run at the right speed since most of the boots for that show either are too slow or fast.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Buda wrote:Besides Isle Of Wight and Hollywood Bowl this is the only superb soundboard recording but unfortunately there is still some bad blood between the Doors and the rightholders if I'm right that delays this from releasing (and also being available on bootlegs for decades).
What's the bad blood story?
Buda

Post by Buda »

Can't tell, but the Doors tried to acquire the masters a few times in the past and it always ended up as a wasted attempt. That's why I assume that there must be some kind of barrier. I guess it all comes down to financial reasons.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

In case anyone is interested, these two Stockholm Late tracks run at the right speed. Not sure what the bootleg source is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sppUMbK89TU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2p3qvsDg70
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Buda wrote:Can't tell, but the Doors tried to acquire the masters a few times in the past and it always ended up as a wasted attempt. That's why I assume that there must be some kind of barrier. I guess it all comes down to financial reasons.
I'm not aware of any "bad blood" between the Doors camp and the Swedish radio station. I don't even know if Jeff has officially reached out to them at this point. I gave Jeff master clone copies about 7 or 8 years ago and Jeff loved them. If they do see an official release, I hope Jeff gets the masters and we don't see another Matrix fiasco.

The Isle Of Wight is another story. I don't think there's any bad blood there either, just some hold ups behind the scenes.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Should we assume that, if they were to release Stockholm, they would dub in vocals for WTMO from the 1st show? I don't see what alternative they have. You can faintly hear Jim's voice leaking through another mic, presumably Ray's, during that section.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Do we even know of the Stockholm radio station still has the masters?
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Why should they release Stockholm? I would prefer a "new" concert.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Hugo wrote:Why should they release Stockholm? I would prefer a "new" concert.
What do you suggest?
marcelpilman

Post by marcelpilman »

I love that frees the cinematheque krieger 69. Is he really has?
Wow,I'm sick of doubout
Live in the light of certain
South
AK

Post by AK »

I'd say the Danish TV performance is the best. Short performance or not, it's incredible.

Stockholm is really great too.
thedoorsbootlegs

Post by thedoorsbootlegs »

i'm not believe that is the best show pro,but this depend of the different people and tastes SAMPLE:

For me the best is,La playa stadium 1968,seattle 1968,Sam Houston,Singer Bowl And Dallas 68
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I guarantee that you don't have La Playa Stadium or Seattle '68 recordings.
LizardMojoRisin

Post by LizardMojoRisin »

huh?
thedoorsbootlegs

wha happened wrote:I guarantee that you don't have La Playa Stadium or Seattle '68 recordings.
I not say that i have this audio
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

You implied that you have La Playa and Seattle, or that you heard them. You said that, for you, the best is La Playa and Seattle '68. There are no known recordings from either of those places, no rumored recordings either.

I think you get the award for most posts within one hour.
LizardMojoRisin

Post by LizardMojoRisin »

wha happened wrote:You implied that you have La Playa and Seattle, or that you heard them. You said that, for you, the best is La Playa and Seattle '68. There are no known recordings from either of those places, no rumored recordings either.

hahaha We should create a new topic just for "the doors bootlegs" :lol:
thedoorsbootlegs

wha happened wrote:You implied that you have La Playa and Seattle, or that you heard them. You said that, for you, the best is La Playa and Seattle '68. There are no known recordings from either of those places, no rumored recordings either.

Yes but,looks good the show in the footages of documentary:When You're Strange.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

ok?...but this topic is about the best pro recorded AUDIO from '68. We are not talking about Feast Of Friends footage.
thedoorsbootlegs

wha happened wrote:ok?...but this topic is about the best pro recorded AUDIO from '68. We are not talking about Feast Of Friends footage.
Ok ;)
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

If you keep it up this way , youll have 4687 posts in one day .. Keep calm and try to be more creative with your posts