Mexico City 1969

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

lawswlaw

Mexico City 1969

Post by lawswlaw »

Vince,

If you can recall, please recount the 1969 Mexico City concert performances. How did the band feel about performing in a "supper club"? Were the gigs a necessity from an economic standpoint? What gear did you take and how did you get it there? Who was in the traveling party? Thank you.
vince

The Great Society

Post by vince »

Mexico City was the first performance following Miami and the censure that was in effect as a resullt of the bad publicity.

I have written of this event in great length but I will condense. The club was a substitute location. We were supposed to play in the Plaza del Torro. But the mexican government did not want Morrison to scream We want the world and.... after the student riots of the previous year in which students were machine gunned in a blocked plaza near a University.

The club was small and intimate. they guys did like that kind of place. The equipment we used was the full on system that I developed. You know that no matter how big and powerful the amps were there was a volume scale that went from silence to permanent deafness. I had the satisfaction of knowing that when I needed it I could make a joyful noice unto Morrison. But I could also turn the tiger into a pussy cat.

We flew there on a Western Airlines 707. We landed at the airport and had to use portable stairs to come down to the tarmac and then walk across the runway to the terminal. The baggage guys were wheeling the amps after us. Onlookers, remembering the massacre of the previous year though they were caskets and were plessing themselves while they covered the eyes of children waiting to meet parents or relatives.

It was on this trip that the only BB wo turned out to be a groupie turned up. He went home early.

It was a nice trip. We saw the remains of one of the world's greatest civilizations and enjoyed the pollution of what was once the worlds largest city. When the Spanish destroyers came to Mexico they saw before them the largest and most orderly city in the world. While Europeans were throwing waste buckets into the streets, the residents of Mexico had aquaducts, organized government, a code of law and judicial system, urban planning and zoning and a prosperous community. Spain brought disease, death, slavery, destruction and religion. How nice.

We also learned about the benefits of Organic Fruit. and how to store meat without referigeration. (In a glass display case with temp control at 30 degrees C.)

I think that Mexico was as much vacation as it was showing that Morrison could behave himself. You may know that following this we went to the Cow Palace under the sponsorship of Bill Graham and that was the beginning of a comeback.

I hope that covers it all. Thanks for your post.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
what_A_trip67-71

Post by what_A_trip67-71 »

very interesting vince, thanks for that post....
they are the ones who will rule the world
vince

Welcome

Post by vince »

You are about the newest member unless I miss my guess. Welcome to the Forum. Don't be shy post long and often.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
lawswlaw

Thank You

Post by lawswlaw »

Vince,

Thank you very much for the time and effort. I find all of this information fascinating.
$unshine

Re: Thank You

Post by $unshine »

It's an interesting subject. Thank you for your answers Vince ! :D

Yes I agree with you:
lawswlaw wrote:I find all of this information fascinating.
" The way we talk is the way we think.
And the way we think is the way we act.
And the way we act is where we are. "
thedoorsbootlegs

Post by thedoorsbootlegs »

From this show not exist nothing,the audio is from Toronto 1969,and the songs of L.A Woman album is from a tribute band called:"Wild Child"
LizardMojoRisin

Post by LizardMojoRisin »

thedoorsbootlegs wrote:From this show not exist nothing,the audio is from Toronto 1969,and the songs of L.A Woman album is from a tribute band called:"Wild Child"
Everyone here knows that. rookie!!!!! Stop!!!! :-(
vince

Post by vince »

I think you will find that "Doorsbootlegs" is not a rookie - if this is the person you are refering to. Unless someone in the audience had a recorder, no repreoductions were made. At that time we did not use a board, as such. There was no house system in use since we always did our own sound, independant of all others.

Wild Child - basically a well trained, perhaps I should say well rehearsed group made a good thing of playing Doors music. SOme of ti was extremely close to the original. This could be mistaken or substituted for the missing matierial from Mexico.

I just occurred to me that it is more than 40 years since Jim died. How time flies when you are hvaing fun.

Best to all for the coming New Year. Have a happy, prosperous and tranquil year - all faithful members and contributors. Pax Vobis Cum.

Vince
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
LizardMojoRisin

vince wrote:I think you will find that "Doorsbootlegs" is not a rookie - if this is the person you are refering to. Unless someone in the audience had a recorder, no repreoductions were made. At that time we did not use a board, as such. There was no house system in use since we always did our own sound, independant of all others.

Wild Child - basically a well trained, perhaps I should say well rehearsed group made a good thing of playing Doors music. SOme of ti was extremely close to the original. This could be mistaken or substituted for the missing matierial from Mexico.

I just occurred to me that it is more than 40 years since Jim died. How time flies when you are hvaing fun.

Best to all for the coming New Year. Have a happy, prosperous and tranquil year - all faithful members and contributors. Pax Vobis Cum.

Vince
Hello Mr Vince How Are you? :D

That I told him. This guy wanted to cheat with the assumption mexico concert. his name is Mauricio Palomares. Say Hello Palomares!
vince

Post by vince »

I am jine - hibernating from the below 0 temps here. Starting major work tomorrow or Wednesday. Doggie and cats are ok and fat with winter sur. Getting same major promo things together for a sales push. Thanks for writing.

Vince
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
LizardMojoRisin

vince wrote:I am jine - hibernating from the below 0 temps here. Starting major work tomorrow or Wednesday. Doggie and cats are ok and fat with winter sur. Getting same major promo things together for a sales push. Thanks for writing.

Vince
Thats Good. And I know this winter season is very cold :? :x hope you had a good Christmas and Have a good Thursday. Mr vince :D and thanks you too
thedoorsbootlegs

wtf,how know this?
LizardMojoRisin

thedoorsbootlegs wrote:wtf,how know this?
These guys have years of know the doors :)
thedoorsbootlegs

LizardMojoRisin wrote:
thedoorsbootlegs wrote:wtf,how know this?
These guys have years of know the doors :)
I meant as you know my name
vince

Names and who knows

Post by vince »

Perhaps the regulars and Very Old Timers on the site know whose name belongs to which "Moniker".

Have a lovely, sane and sober New Year. After all, no sense in celebrating if your so blotto that you don't know its come.

"...And to all, a good night."
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors