Cancelled Hollywood Bowl Show From 1969

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

MysticHeatedWine

Cancelled Hollywood Bowl Show From 1969

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

Hi Vince,

Nice to see you back. Your candor and sincerity, not to mention your intelligence, are always appreciated. I had a question:

I've been sorting through my many magazines and newspaper articles from 1969 and 1970 and one article mentions the Doors were planning to return to the Hollywood Bowl in 1969 but it didn't materialize in the aftermath of Miami. Can you elaborate on this ? Thanks. Best wishes.

Michael
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
vince

Post by vince »

Hello Michael:

A lot of things did not come to fruition in 1969 as a result of Miami. There was the wide gap between March and the first US performance in the Cow Palace and for the Belkin Brothers. Bill Graham and the Brothers were willing to take a chance and good performances led to a breaking of the ice.

It was too late in season to arrange another Hollywood performance. Bill and the Agents were frantic to get some bookings. It was a long dry spell. Of course, money talks. Record sellers bent to public demand, radio stations finally abent to the clamour of the public for Doors music and eventually it was business as usual - but nothing could make up for the loss of 20 performances and months of lost record sales.

I wonder that nothing was done in 1970. I think the stink of Miami was still pervasive and there was a reluctance to have another go at it. Who knows what the show might have been like. One might say - the Bloom was off the rose. The ongoing trial in Miami was a factor as well. What with depositions and all the investigations going on I think there was enough uncertainty to prevent scheduling and preparing for another Hollywood Spectacular.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

Thanks Vince. I appreciate your time as always. :)
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968