Question about Univox amps

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

MysticHeatedWine

Question about Univox amps

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

Hi Vince,

I recently saw an ad from 1973 in which the Doors were listed along with Zeppelin as groups which used these amps. Did the Doors use Univox amps while Jim was alive or only for the post-Jim tours ? Your time is appreciated as always. Thanks.

Michael
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
vince

Post by vince »

By 1973 the Doors had closed. I believe they had ceased performances. I was unceremoniously dismissed by Siddons - who lied to the guys about where I was and what my intentions were. I do know that they sold their equipment to FANNY. I was asked to repair all the equipment, which was in storage, so they could be sold. It was through this that I got some of the old acoustic amps and the power cables and cord boxes in return for my services. This was later stolen in 2003. I believe this sale come in 1972 in mid summer. It included the venerable Van as well.

What they used after this have no idea. Steve Marx sold his interest in Acoustic which went on making amps for a time. Like other things associated with the Doors - they eventually closed.

Ray gave the RMI synthesizer to his brother. Other equipment was disbursed. In 1990 John Densmore gave me his ludwig Floor Tom.
It was all like a ball of mercury dropped on the floow. In our pursuit of genuine equipment for the movie we could not trace the ownership or location of the collosal amps.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

Very interesting. Thanks again Vince. :)
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968