Riders Vocal

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Dougs

Riders Vocal

Post by Dougs »

Hey Vince

Where you there for the last recording on the Vocal of Riders on The Storm?

Was this the last time Jim was in the Studio?

What was the mood like had Jim shared his plans to move to Paris at that stage?

Dougs
vince

Quations from Dougs

Post by vince »

I was not at the LA Woman sessions except on the rarest of occasions. Mostly during the day to check equipment and see what was up. I was on official paid leave from the group because the did not anticipate further road trips.

I was still being supported by them for a vehicle, gas card with it and unlimited use of the equipment to earn money as I could. But - Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES was I to take another permanent job.

The Vocal were Jim's final participation in the Doors activities as a group. He went to Paris, stayed for several months, got tired of being boared and drunk and was considering coming home.

Shortly thereafter we heard he was dead.

Jim had been talking of taking a time off period to try to relax and get himself together. They knew he was going and they were planning to go on the road without him. They made a deal that IF they did two shows and IF he behaved himself during those two shows things would be as normal. If not, those shows would be that last shows they did. Recordings were OK but they were not going to risk any more bad shows and bad publicity.

The MOOD came when they heard about him dieing. They all felt pretty miserable and each took time off to be alone with himself to deal with the emotions. Mind you, they liked Jim. Everyone did. He was a very nice guy when sober. But they did not like the bad press when he got into one of his moods.

One thing I can assure you. They did not want Jim OUT of the group. The just felt they could not work with him in live performances.

I think that gives the answers.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Silver Forest

Re: Quations from Dougs

Post by Silver Forest »

vince wrote:I was not at the LA Woman sessions except on the rarest of occasions. Mostly during the day to check equipment and see what was up. I was on official paid leave from the group because the did not anticipate further road trips.

I was still being supported by them for a vehicle, gas card with it and unlimited use of the equipment to earn money as I could. But - Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES was I to take another permanent job.

The Vocal were Jim's final participation in the Doors activities as a group. He went to Paris, stayed for several months, got tired of being boared and drunk and was considering coming home.

Shortly thereafter we heard he was dead.

Jim had been talking of taking a time off period to try to relax and get himself together. They knew he was going and they were planning to go on the road without him. They made a deal that IF they did two shows and IF he behaved himself during those two shows things would be as normal. If not, those shows would be that last shows they did. Recordings were OK but they were not going to risk any more bad shows and bad publicity.

The MOOD came when they heard about him dieing. They all felt pretty miserable and each took time off to be alone with himself to deal with the emotions. Mind you, they liked Jim. Everyone did. He was a very nice guy when sober. But they did not like the bad press when he got into one of his moods.

One thing I can assure you. They did not want Jim OUT of the group. The just felt they could not work with him in live performances.

I think that gives the answers.
Vince, you probably know there was recently a release celebrating the 40th anniversary of the LA Woman album.

Regarding these L. A. woman recording studios you tolds us that you only attended the studio to set up the instruments but did you had the oportunity to attend to other recording sessions from other albums?

I understood from other posts that you prefer the 3 first albums but anyway did you had the oportunity to listen to the alternate takes from this 2012 release?

If interested you can find it on youtube to listen to a sample. I enjoyed because these are interesting tracks providing good clues to a recording session with a sober and creative Jim. Probably a drunk Jim was a nightmare.
vince

Post by vince »

To be honest I have not been in the USA for 12 years with very few and short visits. The doings of the Doors remnants and various releases have been beyond my ken.

Yes, I was in attendance at virtually all the other recording sessions. These were mostly in the new Electra studios which was, conincidently, just across La Cieniga Blvd from out office area. It was very convenient for us.

We did some recording in Sunset prior to the completion of the Electra studio. We also did recording in the TTG Highland studios. I believe this was the ABC studios in the hayday of radio. It was converted to recording studios which were on the second floor. That was a haul.

The sessions were interesting, as much for the creative process as watching Paul and Bruce work together to make some incredible sounds long before all the fancy stuff that came a year or two later. This was the time when 16 track machines were new and everyone was delighted with the ability to record instruments on individual tracks and do a "Mix Down" later when under far less pressure of studio time and cost.

Those were the days, my love... we thought they'd never end.

Regards new releases. I know that some time ago, incollaboration with Elektra and Warner/ bruce, Paul and the group there was a closet cleaning. Materials that Paul had rejected as not being release quality was remixed and fiddled with and put on the market. I wonder that there is really anything new to be released.

If there was ever a piece that I really liked, and upon which Paul spent a lot of time, it was the Canon. Summer's almost gone and Spanish Caravan - Brilliant. Flememco style on a steel string guitar. Has there ever been anyone who could play a guitar like Robby Krieger. A classic guitarist in a rock band - what a hoot. This guy could produce more music with five fingers on his left hand than all the other so called "Guitarists" combined. Robby was one of 4 things that brought me to the Doors.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Thanks Vince :)
Interesting capture from your answer: Robby was one of the 4 things that brought you to the Doors. Can you tell us what were the other three?
vince

Post by vince »

Of Course - Ray, John and Jim
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors