Upcoming 'L.A. Woman' 40th Anniversary Release (Part 2)

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

...for my birthday i was given an ipad and for christmas an iphone...still try'n to learn how to use these two things, lol, but looking forward to the doors app. ...........i don't even know what an app really is..lol :lol:
Buda

Post by Buda »

If this Application is done right, it can be a fruitful experience but there are a lot of dangerous pitfalls that can ruin this thing. It depends on how thorough and rightfully the job was done. For instance including photos that doesn't belong to a specific date can be pretty irritating not to mention inferior quality materials used. Nevertheless to say, I'm crossing my fingers they did this one right and more so as some good intentions were also used to make this app worthy.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

I wouldn't expect anything that we would like. Management is releasing Doors content on a new medium, to a potentially younger untapped audience. We're the guys who are happy to hear the LAW outtakes in mp3 format, dubbed onto a cassette and then copied 5 times or worse.... We are not their target market, and I am certain this app will not interest any of us in the slightest.

I hope I'm wrong.
Buda

Post by Buda »

No, you're merely right, I'm afraid but I always see this that if they would do something that please us on our fanatic level, I wouldn't dare to think it wouldn't please any average, up-and-coming fan of the current generation. Only, much more investment (money, time and CARE) should have to be made to put together such a product. Be it a book, a box set, or a digital application.
anytimecowboy

box sets

Post by anytimecowboy »

ok box sets

the ultimate of ultimate here we go- the residents box set

got a spare $100,000?

http://pitchfork.com/news/48852-the-res ... 0-box-set/
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Dead and gone. The LA Woman 5CD set or whatever. The more than 80 outtakes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxFmEskhPRA

So many days after the last post.
Damn.
Tonight I felt in the mood of listening Ray, Robbie and John in the Extras of Mr. Mojo Risin - The Story of LA Woman
Damn.
Brilliant stories about the making of such a great album.
I just feel we still had a glimpse of the whole thing.
I think we need to live till 2021 to be able to listen to this stuff. The 50th anniversary.
Damn.
Buda

Post by Buda »

bump
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

Yeap I feel the same . Its just a beautiful tight album .

I wish I could listen more of the making of that particular album .

It certainly has the third position on my must-listen list after LF and NO
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

lizardkingteo wrote:Yeap I feel the same . Its just a beautiful tight album .

I wish I could listen more of the making of that particular album .

It certainly has the third position on my must-listen list after LF and NO
Hey Teo, concerning NO I fear that soon after we listened that show it will downfall to one of the last places from your list. But yes, I'm curious too.
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

I am quite positive that the performance would be shitty but even to list to their last performance as the Doors would be thrilling.

Imagine having the "first" performance and the last one . That will be more than we had imagined 2 years ago.
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

No outtakes i guess, for a long long time, but we can pray!
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

you cannot petition outtakes with pray! :twisted:
Carnival dog
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Anyone pick up the recently released 5 disc Van Morrison Moondance set containing 1 remastered disc, 3 discs of outtakes, and 1 DVD? Produced by the same company controlling The Doors' catalogue. If a record company can justify the economics of producing a mulit-disc set for Moondance offered at about $60 at retail, certainly a comparable album in terms of legacy and sales potential like LA Woman could have been given the same treatment. Another shining example of The Doors' rhetoric about the label killing the LA Woman set likely being disingenuous.
MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

midnightx wrote:Anyone pick up the recently released 5 disc Van Morrison Moondance set containing 1 remastered disc, 3 discs of outtakes, and 1 DVD? Produced by the same company controlling The Doors' catalogue. If a record company can justify the economics of producing a mulit-disc set for Moondance offered at about $60 at retail, certainly a comparable album in terms of legacy and sales potential like LA Woman could have been given the same treatment. Another shining example of The Doors' rhetoric about the label killing the LA Woman set likely being disingenuous.
Van gets a pittance in royalties for that album and has no say in the content.

But your point remains the same. Jampol always blames a 3rd party and never himself or the band members/estates.
HungryHippo

Post by HungryHippo »

I was in Urban Outfitters yesterday and was browsing through their records when I came across the Workshop Sessions. Obviously, I bought it. It's a lot easier to not buy something online as opposed to real life. I've listened to it a couple of times since then and can't get over this 5 cd set vanishing from the band's radar. These outtakes are tight. What a shame. Another shame is side 4 of the Workshop Sessions. Who is really going to read an album's lyrics from the back of a 180g slab of vinyl? Everything else about the set is spot on. Evidently The Doors are now cool amongst the hipster kids as they also had Strange Days and Morrison Hotel on vinyl. Hopefully this generation of fans will have better luck with the Matrix, Fog and LA Woman outtakes than we've had.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

Was there ever an official announcement that this wasn't happening
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
Buda

Post by Buda »

HungryHippo wrote:It's a lot easier to not buy something online as opposed to real life.
So true!!! :D

On the other hand, I guess this will stay like this unfortunately and the rest will not be released in the future. I totally agree with you, though, they were inspired and it comes off so vividly even during Jim's Alberquerqe impro as well, not to mention the first take of LA Woman.. these LAW sessions are off the hook, definitely. Not a coincidence why these sessions became John's favourite studio times with the band. Seems the current Jampolian leadership doesn't recognise/appreciate what they have while even the less superior contemporary bands issue every given fart they recorded at the time.

I'd add to this rant the Fog, Matrix and mainly those '68 studio session tapes that has appeared at an auction 1-2 yrs ago - containing numerous takes of WTMO etc. and which got confiscated by Jeff but seemingly because of legal purposes, without any intention to release them.

What are they thinking, really?!!
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

anytimecowboy wrote:Was there ever an official announcement that this wasn't happening
Nope. They left things at a possible download. It has been a couple of years. Doubt anything happens with this. It is more likely that a few choice alternate takes trickle out as bonus tracks on other releases.