MOFI Forever Changes SACD

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

hardrockcafe

MOFI Forever Changes SACD

Post by hardrockcafe »

Anyone picked this up? The reviews on the Hoffman forum seem positive about the sound quality.
jamestkirk

Re: MOFI Forever Changes SACD

Post by jamestkirk »

hardrockcafe wrote:Anyone picked this up? The reviews on the Hoffman forum seem positive about the sound quality.
I'll ask around...Ed?
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Anyone have this? reviews? I thought the master tapes were missing....
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-123188-lov ... -sacd.aspx

Love - Forever Changes
Numbered Limited Edition SACD from Mobile Fidelity

Ranked #40 on Rolling Stone's List of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

Mastered from the Original Master Tapes: Mobile Fidelity's Hybrid SACD Opens Up Scale of Lush Orchestral Architecture and Elegant Baroque Textures

Love Anticipates Late 1960s Turbulence Via Prophetic Songs and Dark Themes

Love's Da Capo Also Available on Hybrid SACD from Mobile Fidelity

Any discussion about the finest psychedelic rock record ever recorded is incomplete if it doesn't grant consideration to Love's Forever Changes. Ranked by Rolling Stone as the 40th greatest album ever made, and named by Mojo the second-greatest psychedelic set in history, the effort is an internationally recognized seminal work of art. Transcending language and convention, its magnitude and magnificence need to be heard again and again. For here is an effort whose mind-boggling acoustic complexities and kaleidoscopic nuances are tailored for high-fidelity playback.

Mastered from the original master tapes, Mobile Fidelity's numbered limited-edition hybrid SACD affords the masterpiece the white-gloves treatment and golden-hued sonics it has always deserved. Nearly unlimited headroom, vast instrumental separation, transparent clarity, artifact-free atmospherics, and faithful balances appear out of jet-black backgrounds. The music appears to float on clouds, with the woody tones emanated by cavities of the acoustic guitars and brassy signatures of horns emerging with lifelike detail. Turn it up as loud as you want; the sole limitation will be your system's potential.

Commercially ignored upon release in November 1967, Forever Changes confronts the alienation, paranoia, violence, and strife that would soon plague the countercultural movement and send the Summer of Love into a tailspin. Apart from its lyrical themes and prescient malaise, the record's enduring nature equally owes to intertwined arrangements sewn together with Latin guitar-picked lines, finessed folk harmonies, mariachi-inspired horn charts, and subdued strings.

The seemingly opposing combination – ominous, dark reflections situated amidst lush, light melodic beds – affords Forever Changes a distinguished tension of claustrophobia and openness, dourness and ecstasy, ugliness and elegance enjoyed by no other record in the rock canon. Much of the contrast owes to leader Arthur Lee's mental state and pertinent observations. Lee, whose suppressed romanticism often surfaces even amidst the blackest shadows and most cynical moments, believed he would soon die, and hence channeled everything from lasting hopes to acid-addled decay to the chilling testimony of a Vietnam veteran in his narratives.

Alternatively sad and beautiful, the album-opening and flamenco-inspired "Alone Again Or" establishes the mood for what follows. Vocals overlap and soar; tempos rise and fall; surrealism trades places with reality. Forever Changes thrives both because of and in spite of a surfeit of labyrinthine chords and difficult notes that never repeat. Its ambitious construction almost forced the already fractured band to cede responsibilities to session musicians, which appear on two tracks. The quintet's resolve to not only complete the album, but to do so with such poignancy and curiosity, further enhances Forever Changes' standing.

No wonder that, in the twilight of his troubled career, Lee performed the record in its entirely during concerts met with overwhelming critical acclaim. It was, and will always be, a personal manifesto of timeless relevance and appeal.

Secure your lowest-numbered edition of this watershed disc by ordering from Music Direct today!

Love Forever Changes Track Listing:
Alone Again Or
A House Is Not a Motel
Andmoreagain
The Daily Planet
Old Man
The Red Telephone
Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale
Live and Let Live
The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This
Bummer in the Summer
You Set the Scene
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Buda

Post by Buda »

As I read other topics concerning these SACD releases, they are, almost without exception are remarkable remasters so I'd bet this reissue is also obligatory to any serious listener.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Master tapes (i.e. stereo mixdown) exists. I think it's the multitracks for Forever Changes that are missing.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

I don't have the CD.Although Forever Changes is my fav LP.The other week I bought the vinyl 45th Anniversary album after reading reviews at Steve's forum.h
I have a Japanese Forever Changes CD though which sounds very good also.
But I stopped buying cd's two years ago, I only listen to Vinyl these days.I don't even listen my cd's that I don't have on vinyl.
I do have an original 1967 cassette tape of Forever Changes.Oh well, maybe I should get me the SACD...
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

I got the SACD and can recommend it. It sounds wonderful. It has a warm sound and doesn't feel compressed or over-eq'd like other CD releases.