Madison Square Garden 1 / 24 / 69 Acoustics ?

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

MysticHeatedWine

Madison Square Garden 1 / 24 / 69 Acoustics ?

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

Hi Vince,

Haven't posted for awhile and wanted to ask you a question. I have a friend who saw the band at MSG in January of 1969 and then at the Felt Forum in 1970. He was telling me how the Felt Forum shows were much better due to the smaller venue. In Shaw's book he mentions the MSG show and says that,"The Doors performance suffers despite Vince Treanor and the equipment crew's efforts to dampen the hall's massive reverberations."

I was curious if you could provide some details as to what exactly you and your crew did when encountered with the problem of setting the band up for the much larger Madison Square Garden. With the experience you had already acquired up to that point, you surely knew it was going to be a problem making the band sound good in such a massive arena. Thanks.
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
cutis

Re: Madison Square Garden 1 / 24 / 69 Acoustics ?

Post by cutis »

Vince wasn't in charge of the sound that night so he wouldn't have much to say or have that many details....

MysticHeatedWine wrote:Hi Vince,

Haven't posted for awhile and wanted to ask you a question. I have a friend who saw the band at MSG in January of 1969 and then at the Felt Forum in 1970. He was telling me how the Felt Forum shows were much better due to the smaller venue. In Shaw's book he mentions the MSG show and says that,"The Doors performance suffers despite Vince Treanor and the equipment crew's efforts to dampen the hall's massive reverberations."

I was curious if you could provide some details as to what exactly you and your crew did when encountered with the problem of setting the band up for the much larger Madison Square Garden. With the experience you had already acquired up to that point, you surely knew it was going to be a problem making the band sound good in such a massive arena. Thanks.
jim4371

Re: Madison Square Garden 1 / 24 / 69 Acoustics ?

Post by jim4371 »

cutis wrote:Vince wasn't in charge of the sound that night so he wouldn't have much to say or have that many details....
Yes he was.
http://www.thefreedomman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92