Should the Hollywood Bowl audio be restored?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

AK

Post by AK »

DalloLama wrote:A couple of years ago Ray was interviewed on Australian radio by a guy here called Adam Spencer. The first question he asked:

So Ray is it true you formed the band with Jim on the beach?

FFS!
:lol: That's fantastic.
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

I pulled the trigger on the Bowl Blueray. Does the audio fade between tracks on the CD too?
He is the Last Dinosaur!
AK

Post by AK »

Got the blu ray and the cd for X-mas.

It's great. We can nitpick editing choices and whatever, but the overall product is really strong. The picture and audio are both great. I got chills as When The Music's Over was starting... the establishing far away shots that showed the whole stage really made me feel like I was in the audience. You can't really ask for anything more of a concert film from 1968, let alone a recently filmed show.

The only thing I can critique- I wish they included the old commentary track that Ray Robby and John recorded for the laserdisc release. Obviously it's dated, but being able to watch the film and hear the three of them talk during it is really enjoyable. Ah well.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

You can hear the scream from the audience recording in Hello, I Love You on the DVD. It's very faint, but it's definitely there. I played it back just to be sure. Did they use part of the audience recording or is it Jim's vocal leaking through Rays mic?
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Encuentro wrote:You can hear the scream from the audience recording in Hello, I Love You on the DVD. It's very faint, but it's definitely there. I played it back just to be sure. Did they use part of the audience recording or is it Jim's vocal leaking through Rays mic?
It's a sound leak. You can faintly hear the original vocals in several parts of Texas Radio, HILY, and WTMO. This is the reason why Botnick says he had to use different clips from the AL shows for WTMO. With the sound leak in the surround speakers, he had to find parts that matched those leaks better since they were more noticeable in the 5.1 mix.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

That explains it. Thanks.
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

I finally sat down and watched the dvd and listened to the cd a few days ago. Overall,l I was pleasantly surprised and the final product, in my opinion, was worth waiting for. It seems Bruce did an excellent job given the technical problems. And of course it's cool that Len got credit for contributing to the project. :D
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
Buda

Post by Buda »

Can somebody list those audio segments that are not sourced from the Bowl performance but from other recordings in order to fill holes/have "better" parts? Somebody pointed out earlier the opening scream of WTMO is from Boston '70 and I'm sure there are a dozen more around.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
Liberty Man

Post by Liberty Man »

As I said sometimes ago I was going to to it and began but I stopped for several reasons.
The first is that the problem is very different from for example FF where only long missing parts are replaced, WTMO from HB is like a puzzle and it's much more difficult to follow the line.
The second is that I don't like this show and can't work during hours on it without stopping very offten.
The third is a personnal problem which make hard for me to stay a long time at my desk.
But I'll try to do my best to list most of cuts soon.
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

As for 'Hello I Love You', it seems the entire vocal was the studio version- why the hell were Jim's double tracked different keyed vocals left on the studio vocal that was dubbed in?
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:As for 'Hello I Love You', it seems the entire vocal was the studio version- why the hell were Jim's double tracked different keyed vocals left on the studio vocal that was dubbed in?
It wasn't double-tracked, at least I don't think it was. Ray is singing back up on the studio. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
StrangeNightOfStone

Encuentro wrote:
StrangeNightOfStone wrote:As for 'Hello I Love You', it seems the entire vocal was the studio version- why the hell were Jim's double tracked different keyed vocals left on the studio vocal that was dubbed in?
It wasn't double-tracked, at least I don't think it was. Ray is singing back up on the studio. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
There are 2 vocals towards the end of the song, Im sure both were Jim- who knows, maybe Im wrong- was the instrumentation from the live version?
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Here is Jim's vocal isolated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU0vR6qCqG0

Here is Ray's backup vocal isolated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-CDz8DN7kk
StrangeNightOfStone

Encuentro wrote:Here is Jim's vocal isolated.

Thanks- I guess I was wrong
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:
Encuentro wrote:Here is Jim's vocal isolated.

Thanks- I guess I was wrong
You're welcome. I used to think Jim's vocal was double-tracked as well until I heard the alternate mixes.
Ray

Re: Should the Hollywood Bowl audio be restored?

Post by Ray »

In those days with just 8 tracks (7 really as one was a used to keep two 4 track machines in sync, but not 100% sure what they used. I talked to a tape operator that worked on the Let it Be Beatles album and that was what they used in 1968-69. Anyway many effects were done right on the tape, something no one would do today. I have recorded live and in studios since the 1980s screw ups are par for the course. Any Rolling Stones fans? Little T & A from Tattoo You was meant to have a Jagger vocal but it was erased by mistake and they used Keith's guide vocal.