Vince, can you chime in about the amplifiers used in '68?

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

cutis

Vince, can you chime in about the amplifiers used in '68?

Post by cutis »

Vince,

In many photos and film, especially during '68, you see the boys using these large amplifiers with big horns in them. Were these part of some endorsement deal that the band was forced to use? The band didn't use these same amps in '69 or 70, right?

They were unreliable amplifiers as far I as I can tell. Robbie always had tuning problems and I don't think these amplifiers helped him at all.

Can you verify these amps with the large horns were part of an endorsement deal forcing the band to use them?
TZ-Keyz

Re: Vince, can you chime in about the amplifiers used in '68?

Post by TZ-Keyz »

The Doors were not "forced" to use Acoustic amps. Acoustic amps were "state of the art" of the time and popular among several bands of that era. There were various speaker configurations, 2X15 +horn, 2X12 +horn, 4X12, 18" folded horn bass enclosure. The Doors had some custom built cabinets, I believe 6X12, 2X15 6X8". Robbie like most guitar players prefer tube amps. Marshall tube amps were just starting to get imported to the USA. Its interesting to see the amp designs of the past and how onstage & FOH amplification has evolved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_ ... orporation