Superb recording of Toronto '69

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

cutis

Superb recording of Toronto '69

Post by cutis »

Lots of hiss but the reverb added sure makes it closer to a soundboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlmH1AezCl0
Lost Prophet

Re: Superb recording of Toronto '69

Post by Lost Prophet »

cutis wrote:Lots of hiss but the reverb added sure makes it closer to a soundboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlmH1AezCl0
In my opinion, it sounds very strange with the reverb, the recording is an audience one, it goes better without the reverb.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

This is the only version I've heard of this show. I downloaded it from Youtube. I listened to it the other night after watching The Plastic Ono Band's performance. With the exception of Yoko's cackling, it was a very good performance. It's such a shame that The Doors weren't filmed.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

Given this is a youtube version, lets forget about this link for a minute.

Years ago this concert circulated and it was a great audience tape, nowadays a lower generation circulates.

It's been a while since I've listened to either tape, but I remember that the lower gen copy was crisper and clearer in the high end, which is what you should expect from a tape that is closer to the master copy, and it had a noticeable reverb to it, which to my ears sounded natural and like it were part of the original recording that had been lost in higher generation dubs.
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Ray was having technical issues, one of his keys was out. So odd nothing from The Soft Parade was performed, save for a line or two from Easy Ride. Toronto was an excellent performance, one of my favorite live versions of The End. Robby was on fire for the whole show
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

what a stunning recording- when I first heard Toronto '69, it ran too slow. This version is at the right speed, and somehow captures the arena echo
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
PoorOtis D&G

Post by PoorOtis D&G »

I have always wondered why more songs from the Soft Parade were not played live. Given the fall out of Miami and the number of cancelled gigs it is understandable in '69. Even when touring resumed at a somewhat steady pace in '70 songs from that album were rare played. Any thoughts?
Buda

Post by Buda »

In short, I always thought it was due to Jim's mood which must have been in a downward spiral, sort of. Also, the exciting songs of The Soft Parade, including the title song, particularly needs some inspiration to sing, to be in the mood for those themes - not that When The Music's Over is different, but by this time he could do that (and all the early tunes) blindfolded. By now, he wasn't committed as before and these songs, being relatively new, was apparently not on his bucket list. Understandably, he wasn't favouring the idea to pull out new ones because as a singer, one has to have a keen on them and by this time he lost major interest. I recall many shoutings for the Soft Parade, especially at the Felt Forum shows and also the previous summer at some other nights and suspiciously Jim just ignored them. The band gives FOUR shows in NYC and overwhelmed by their fans to play these tunes as well and they just leave it at that. Obviously it was Jim who decided over this while the rest of the band would have surely liked to perform else but in the early post-Miami period his steam for the Doors pretty much ran out, almost completely and besides Jim, the actual materials also suffered for it.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Jim may have been bloated from having hit the juice hard for the last 6 months, but listening to this recording of Toronto, he and the entire band delivered the goods that night. All there heroes were there and they stepped it up a notch. I wonder if a soundboard recording exists of Toronto. But this audience recording sounds great. Is it sourced from an open reel tape or cassette?
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

I used to like this show a lot, and I still think it's a good show- but has anyone noticed how mid 1970 his voice sounds here? Compare to Aquarius only a short time before this, yes he is raspy there, but he is also in fine form. Toronto sounds like a Morrison of one year from then.

If you listen close to the band during BDM, i think we came close to hearing them slip into a funky Maggie McGill.
"Have a few beers, and take your time..."
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

mystery_train67 wrote:I used to like this show a lot, and I still think it's a good show- but has anyone noticed how mid 1970 his voice sounds here? Compare to Aquarius only a short time before this, yes he is raspy there, but he is also in fine form. Toronto sounds like a Morrison of one year from then.

If you listen close to the band during BDM, i think we came close to hearing them slip into a funky Maggie McGill.
Morrison's increased alcohol consumption in 1969 rapidly aged him in dog years after the Miami incident. He was also a cigarette smoker.