Michael & Johnny

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

Michael & Johnny

Post by silentseason »

Ed, Scott or anyone-was wondering if you have had any correspondance with Michael and/or Johnny. Haven't heard much from or about them lately.
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Re: Michael & Johnny

Post by jamestkirk »

silentseason wrote:Ed, Scott or anyone-was wondering if you have had any correspondance with Michael and/or Johnny. Haven't heard much from or about them lately.
I'll let you know.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I heard from Michael. He is doing well - he and his family are living in Vegas now. He doesn't drum much anymore, because the only way to hookup and jam with local musicians is after-hours on the Strip, and who wants that lifestyle?
And drumming alone isn't much fun. But he's cool with that...moving on...

He tells me he got a Spanish guitar a few years ago and has taught himself to play old Love tunes. Interestingly mostly from Love's first LP--he likes that album best, even though he hadn't even joined yet. Maybe it's because those are the songs he admired from afar while a member of Sons Of Adam.

Anyway, Michael is happy and doing well, with little projects on their Spanish style home and living the good life...

Though I did tempt him with moving EAST by dangling the $8 cooked lobsters we can get everyday just steps from our door here on our Maine island---just have 'em steamed and bring them home to enjoy on our deck overlooking the Sound....

...listening to LOVE!

She Comes In Colors..Michael - what great drum licks. It's not a stretch to name Michael as one of the top ten drummers of the 60's !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL2Op2HA9T4

=)
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Thanks, Scott. Good to hear that Michael is doing well.

How's this for a one-off LoVE reunion: Michael on rythym guitar and Johnny on lead?.....
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Nice.

Here are some good words from Michael for us all...cheers to you John ...

and of course Ed!...I mentioned you to Michael and he said he'd send ME a set of signed sticks just like the ones you kindly received from Michael a few years ago.

Michael said he still has the sticks he used at the Ugly Things 30th Reunion Concert and he'd send me those. Sweet!

From michael...

As time passes I realize more and more each day, what a gifted songwriter Arthur was. Like I said, the first album is my favorite, but Da Capo and Forever Changes are equally seismic. Arthur was a very unusual person and his work was in some ways a window to his soul. Thanks for throwing me in there with Ringo, Levon, Cass and Ginger. Man, that's some excellent company. I'm honored indeed.

Not drumming at all really. I think the only way to make the connection with other musicians is to get out after midnight to some of the local bars (I guess) and hang out til 2 am and make conversation with the musicians during their break.. I can't do that anymore nor do I want to. I can still play. I still have chops, just no outlet and drums don't sound good all by their lonesome.

I have a classic/acoustic guitar, and in the last few years I've managed to learn some of my favorites off Love's first album, like Mushroom Clouds, Signed DC, Message To Pretty, Colored Balls Falling, etc. I got the chord charts off the Internet of all places.

I know most people like Forever Changes but I always [feel that] the words and music off the first album were Love at its finest.

-Aldous Huxley
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Nice to hear all is ok with Michael. I haven't been in contact with him for a while.
Cool of him that he'll send you a signed pair of sticks.Very kind of him.Welcome to the club, Scott! I think only Torben and me a a pair.

Be sure I'll pay you a visit should I ever go your way.I Love Lobster!
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

The Freedom Man wrote:Nice to hear all is ok with Michael. I haven't been in contact with him for a while.
Cool of him that he'll send you a signed pair of sticks.Very kind of him.Welcome to the club, Scott! I think only Torben and me a a pair.

Be sure I'll pay you a visit should I ever go your way.I Love Lobster!
There is a nice Lobster Bar & Grill a few steps away they have the classic lobster dinner of course, but have you ever had a lobster roll (a quarter pound of lobster meat chunks on a roll with just touch of mayo?) Or Lobster Quesadilla...Maine lobster meat & artichoke hearts on a crispy tortilla with sour cream & mango-pineapple salsa...yeah it's wicked good!

...and I love their Maine blueberry martinis.

=)

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Thanks for corresponding with Michael and sharing, Scott. Awesome that you have his drumsticks. A memento to treasure, and what good vibes they must exude. Not to diminish Snoopy's contributions, but imagine how much more the first album would have cooked had Michael been on the drumkit. One of my favorite aspects is Michael's lack of pretension, even though he (and Johnny) are legends to me.

Those lobster recipe's...they aren't from the Alice B. Toklas cookbook, are they? :wink:
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

silentseason wrote:Thanks for corresponding with Michael and sharing, Scott. Awesome that you have his drumsticks. A memento to treasure, and what good vibes they must exude. Not to diminish Snoopy's contributions, but imagine how much more the first album would have cooked had Michael been on the drumkit. One of my favorite aspects is Michael's lack of pretension, even though he (and Johnny) are legends to me.

Those lobster recipe's...they aren't from the Alice B. Toklas cookbook, are they? :wink:
Alice likely cooked up a few lobster dishes before serving her fine brownies...maybe even a Lobster Quesadilla!

=)

-Aldous Huxley
shookm93

Re: Michael & Johnny

Post by shookm93 »

What about Snoopy?