Albert King and The Doors.

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Hamlet

Albert King and The Doors.

Post by Hamlet »

Hey, Vince. Hopes everything is hunky-dory w/ you.

Do you have any recollection of that nite?

Albert King jamming w/ The Doors 06/06/1970 in Vancouver.
We`s just joy-ridin'
TheGreenManilishi

Post by TheGreenManilishi »

was any of this concert recorded?
I'd love to get my hands on some King/Doors live jams! :D
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

- there is a totally awesome clip on you tube: "Who Do You Love."
We`s just joy-ridin'
thendude

Post by thendude »

there are two different sources for this show, Vince taped it, and someone else, I forget his name, but he was just a kid at the time, slipped a tape recorder near or under the stage, I lost my copy and haven't heard it in years, but it's a hell of a show, The Doors bought Vince's master tape and while it may sound as good quality wise as the BMR releases (it was taped on 2 track, versus 8 track) it would still be a great release

I heard a rumor a few years ago that there were problems releasing it because of legal issues with Albert King's estate, but that's not confirmed

I'm gonna have to get my hands on another copy of this show soon
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

VANCOUVER, 06/06/1970 2CD
audio 46:31 sound 8/10

CD1

1 > Roadhouse Blues 4:16
2 > Alabama Song/ 2:02
3 > Back Door Man/ 2:30
4 > Five To one 6:10
5 > When The Music’s Over 15:05
6 > Love Me Two Times 9:11
7 > Little Red Rooster 6:42
8 > Money 4:22
9 > Rock Me 6:23

CD2

10 > Who Do You Love 8:56
11 > Petition The Lord With Prayer 0:39
12 > Light My Fire(Incl. Fever, Summertime , St. James Infirmary,
-----> Fever, There You Sit, Light My Fire) 19:21
13 > The End Incl. Away In India, Ensenada, The End 17:35

sources

PNE Coliseum , Vancouver, Canada. June 6th, 1970
Audience recording.Taped from under the stage.
CDR from Master Tape.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

A very cool show indeed. I always loved Albert King, and he sounds great jamming with the boys. The audience recording it self is quite good, low distortion, nicely balanced and fairly clear.

I didn't know another source was recorded by Vince.
He is the Last Dinosaur!
vince

Post by vince »

Hello:

There were several occasions when guys jammed with the group. Basically, it extended the set, gave the audience a very rare treat and presented quite a contrast to the regular Doors music.

I must say that is was usually a pleasure to work with the"super stars" I did sound for. They guys surely enjoyed it. It was a mark of their talent to see and hear how well they played the music together.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Hello Vince,

do you remember any specific story regarding special guests that performed with The Doors?

Albert King is probably the most notorious (Van Morrison played with the band in 1966 at the Whisky-a-go-go, before your arrival), but we know that John Sebastian and Dallas Taylor were some of the guests. It is also known that Jim performed some songs with Canned Heat but if I remember correctly it was not a Doors show, being Jim the guest.

Do you remember any other names?

I will appreciate your answer!
Thanks.
vince

Doors Show guests

Post by vince »

There were several Guests at the show. It was not a common occurance but I did not always know it was coming.

The most memorable thing about most of them was the scramble to get them plugged in with a minimum of fuss and running around. This usually occured while Jim announced the person attending and the audience response so there really was no serious break in the program.

Generally, there was nothing really special except the music and audience reaction to the "Team" playing. Many of the blues guys or famous people who did play with the guys were very cool to work with, usually complimentary for the quick plug in and never demanding. They were polished musicians able to cope with almost anything.

For me, it was a real pleasure to see them fit right in and how the 4 guys worked with the fifth wheel so to speak.

I don't know how to say that there was anything special about having one more player of their caliber. The only Special thing was the new rendition of the music - like a refreshing breeze that blows through.

I think the most important thing to the Audience was a sort of New Sound, New Version of well known music and also the interest in having a famous performer join with the Doors. Definitely a bonus.

As I have said many times, it is impossible to describe a good Doors show. You had to be there to understand the impressions, the excitement and audience reaction to the event. It is easy to describe a bad show - one word usually does it - BAD.

Guy like BB King, James Brown other who stepped in just put an added excitement to the music. The blending of the fifth person with the hard core of the Doors was only a mark of their collective professionalism and talent.

This is a hard one to answer. There were never "Incidents" that meant problem or anything that would make a show stick out like Singer Bowl or Cincinatti, Baltimore and such. The excitement was just being there.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

James Brown performed with the doors live on stage? together???
jim4371

Re: Doors Show guests

Post by jim4371 »

vince wrote: This is a hard one to answer. There were never "Incidents" that meant problem or anything that would make a show stick out like Singer Bowl or Cincinatti, Baltimore and such. The excitement was just being there.
What makes Cincinnati and Baltimore stick out?
Afraid I haven't heard those stories.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Vince,
it was a pleasure to read your answer. Thanks!

You are quite right I had to be there. I wish I was...

We know very little about these guests, namely the blues guys. Jim loved the blues, those long blues. Albert King was a great bluesman and the Vancouver tape is always a delight for my ears. I love those great "Rock me" and "Money" versions!

If I remember well I think I saw a picture of Jim with Bo Didley performing on stage. But again it seems to me this was a Bo Didley show, so probably you were not there.

I notice you didn't mention any names. It was your choice or you have no clear memories about that?

For instance, do you remember anything about the 1970 show at the Hump, an hotel in Miami? It was at the time of the trial and it has been said that it was a private show with some guests and bluesy versions of some songs like Light My Fire.

I'm sorry all those questions. It's such a great oportunity to have your answers!
:)
Thanks.
SF
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

For instance, do you remember anything about the 1970 show at the Hump, an hotel in Miami? It was at the time of the trial and it has been said that it was a private show with some guests and bluesy versions of some songs like Light My Fire.
You might be confusing the Hump with the Moore Theater in Seattle. At the Hump, Jim joined Canned Heat for a few blues songs.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Ooooops!
You're quite right! Thanks for your correction!
:)
SF
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

- good to see you again, Vince!

And thanks for answering.
We`s just joy-ridin'
vince

Answers

Post by vince »

Hamlets - and all the gang:

I have been here - except for a 10 day spot when we had serious virus problems. I haven't seen many postings and messages - which I will always answer.

But I am Heeeerree - so don't be shy. Without I talk to you guys I have to talk to my cats. Enterainting though that may be, the topics are somewhat linited. Soooo.......

Later guys
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors