Ray's Gibson Organ, modifications?

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

RayMan

Ray's Gibson Organ, modifications?

Post by RayMan »

Hi Vince,

were any modifications made to the Gibson organ so the Fender could fit on it and not crush anything underneath the plastic cover? I tried putting a 53 pound keyboard 88 weighted key on mine a few weeks ago at the first gig with this and the organ definitely didn't like it. The organ started heating up a bit and giving that awful burning electric smell but thankfully it's ok and has worked perfect since then. I just realized I also put a hotspot on top as well so that was something like 70 pounds of weight on it. I'd left the small music rests attach points on top of the organ and the keyboard was sitting on those but I've now taken those off. One of these days I'm going to get a Fender Rhodes and put it on there, for now I'm going to only put small keyboards on top. Im in a Doors tribute band but we havent gigged with this yet, I've only used it with my other band.

John

http://www.peacefrogband.com
vince

Fender on Gibson

Post by vince »

The Fender bass sat on the ;eft end of the organ. It did not cover the entire cover which protected the electronic tone and note generators. Your problem came from theinability of the heat to escpe through the usual route - the black top.

WIth the Fender covering only a small percent of the top there was not heat problem within the electronics space.

I agree that the full scale piano would be way to heavy for the somewhat thin plastic cover of the organ. It would also, smpther any heat loss and definitely allow heat build up.

How about making a frame for the piano that provides a 2" space between it and the top of the organ. That takes the weight off the organ structure and allows air to flow away from the hot top.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
RayMan

Post by RayMan »

Thanks for replying again Vince. The solution was to get a Yamaha MO6, (weight 17 pounds) which I paid full price for, even though I just started working at Yamaha when I got it, I couldn't wait for the full employee discount, which doesn't kick in until Jan. I knew because of working there I would know how to set it up for the first show in one day. So far it's working out great. Once I pay off all the new gear I've been buying and repairs and so forth, the next step is to get a Fender Rhodes Piano Bass. Can't wait! The Gibson has not let me down yet after playing it at several shows, it is time for a tuning, which I have the allen wrench and instructions to do it, and I'm going to have to get some service as the repeater function as stopped working. A tech at work has told me those amps with vibrato have a similar blinking neon light so I might be able to use one of those bulbs as they are getting hard to find.

John
MojoRisinRay

Post by MojoRisinRay »

RayMan, I had to do the lamp replacement on my G-101's as well. They are 40 year old bulbs. Even if they are still lighting up, they aren't putting out enough light. Here is a great site that has the bulb replacement procedure posted in great detail. (Thanks Robert!) You might have seen it already. If not, I hope it helps out.

http://www.combo-organ.com/spares_and_r ... GibsonPerc

Mark J