Seattle setlist

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

lovro_asperger

Seattle setlist

Post by lovro_asperger »

Vince,
there are many sources of the Seattle 70' show, but none of them has the songs in the correct order. Do you know the correct order of the songs played that night?
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

You're wrong, the correct set is circulating on the 2nd gen tape we tree'd over at my Yahoo group. Quit relying on those damn bootleggers and go directly to the hardcore collectors for your material.
lovro_asperger

Post by lovro_asperger »

You're right.
vince

Post by vince »

I regret that I cannot verify any of the sets played in the shows. I do have some documentation but that is in Los Angeles, far from here.

There are guys on the FOrum that have accurate information and they will help you.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

wha happened wrote:You're wrong, the correct set is circulating on the 2nd gen tape we tree'd over at my Yahoo group. Quit relying on those damn bootleggers and go directly to the hardcore collectors for your material.
which yahoo group? :wink:
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
lovro_asperger

Post by lovro_asperger »

I found this on a yahoo group:
Disc One
01 Mystery Train
02 Break On Through
03 Someday Soon
04 Five To One
05 Petition The Lord
06 Light My Fire (cut)

Disc Two
01 Backdoor Man
02 Intro
03 Roadhouse Blues
04 When The Music's Over
05 The End? (cut) never gets going!
Fuck Jeff Milner!!!
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Out of order and The End was never recorded.
vince

Seattle program

Post by vince »

Interesting that someone goes and searched diligently for information, innocently posts is, oping to inform people of valued informations. Suddenly there is a voice, crying in the desert, that cries out with more accurate information.

I got the impression of someone sitting back watching what is going on and, upon seeing wrong information, says so without giving an accurate correction.

It would be strange if someone pasted the missing piece onto a partially recorded performance.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Seattle Center Coliseum June 5, 1970

-Back Door Man>
Love Hides
-Hitler poem
-Roadhouse Blues
-When The Music's Over>
Jim's feedback episode
-People Get Ready>
Mystery Train>
Baby Please Don't Go>
Mystery Train>
Away In India>
Crossroads
-Break On Through
-Someday Soon
-Five To One
-Petition The Lord With Prayer>
Light My Fire (recording cuts a few minutes into the song)
-The End (not recorded)
vince

Post by vince »

Understand that I didn't intend to goad anyone. I had this picture of someone sitting in a great wooden chair looking down on the forum, seeing this post and sort of "Replying" Like big brother or something. This poor guy is out searching for the playlist and finally, days, weeks, months of searching ends up with this list and Poof, This voice says "Wrong".

It was just a funny impression I got - no fingers pointed.

I wonder what happened to The End, When jim is in the mood it can get long.

Oh, I want to do nothing but I have more than 200 pouches to make to complete the pouch board for this chest we are rebuilding.

Gotta go guys. Now it is you turn to imagine me sitting with my template and glue pot putting the backs on then the valve and stacking all these things in boxes. Then I have to put them onto the pouch boards. IT takes about 1 hour to do one board of 30 or 31 pouches. Two days of work at the least. I am bored just thinking about it.

Wha... It was nice of you to post the list but I really didn't intend to push
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
BrysonK

Post by BrysonK »

You're a funny guy, Vince... ''picture of someone sitting in a great wooden chair '' :lol:

If i was in South Korea i'd buy you a beer (or if you ever come up to the great white north =) )
vince

Post by vince »

Well, Asiana has 2 flights a day here. They even serve Bi Bim Bam complete with KimChi.

I am afraid it would have to be a coke. A beer and I would be asleep on the floor.

I am sitting in a big Office Chair. I just want you to know it wasn't me looking down on the Forum, watching what is going on. I was watching the guy in the Big Wooden Chair.

Cheers, Gang
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Speaking of the circulating 2nd gen: Are we sure about its lineage? Because when I was tinkering with it a few months ago, I noticed the noise (hiss) level changes in a few spots. Most notably just before "Petition The Lord With Prayer." This is usually a tell-tale sign that two sources have been spliced together. Any thoughts? Could this be half 2nd gen and half bootleg source?
lovro_asperger

Post by lovro_asperger »

Porsche wrote:Speaking of the circulating 2nd gen: Are we sure about its lineage? Because when I was tinkering with it a few months ago, I noticed the noise (hiss) level changes in a few spots. Most notably just before "Petition The Lord With Prayer." This is usually a tell-tale sign that two sources have been spliced together. Any thoughts? Could this be half 2nd gen and half bootleg source?
How do you mean 2nd and half?
Fuck Jeff Milner!!!
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

lovro_asperger wrote:How do you mean 2nd and half?
I just mean that someone combined two sources together to get the best quality and the most complete tape. It sounds like the missing bits from the Seattle recording (Jim's extended dialogue and Petition/LMF) aren't as good quality as the other parts which were already available on bootlegs. Seems like someone combined a 2nd gen (or maybe higher gen) tape with parts from a bootleg release ("Jim's Alive" probably) and called the combination a 2nd gen source. It'd be nice to track down a straight transfer if this is the case.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

If someone wants to do a new transfer of my 2nd gen tape, let me know. And by someone, I mean someone I know and trust with my tape, and lives in the States.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

wha happened wrote:If someone wants to do a new transfer of my 2nd gen tape, let me know. And by someone, I mean someone I know and trust with my tape, and lives in the States.
Is your 2nd gen tape the same source that's circulating? Because the issue is whether the 2nd gen that's out there is really a complete 2nd gen or actually just a splice job. (I'm talking about the treed version.) The edits I heard aren't too good so they could've been done using a tape deck.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I don't remember who I gave the tape to on that old transfer, or if they used 2 sources like you said. I was under the impression it was just the tape source because I never said to, or was told to use 2 sources. I didn't even listen to the actual cassette in YEARS.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Ah, I see. Well I guess it would be worth transferring on newer/better equipment. Wish I had the gear to do stereo transfers myself. (I can only play with the results.) So many times audio material gets screwed up during the transfer process with levels either too low or too high. It'd be great having someone with the know-how to do top-notch transfers for Doors shows.
vince

Post by vince »

I think the big problem is that people don't understand that equipment available. There are level indicators for a reason and those doing the transfers should play through one to see what the high, low and average volume would be and then. based on that make some changes or just leave it alone and play back to the redubbing machine.

I have the same problem here. Very good equipment and no one takes the time to do a sound check during a rehearsal fo we get too high or too low and this clipping and such.

It does not take a huge board to re-record this material. Just be alert and watch the clock, get the cues where you should make slight adjustments/
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Exactly, Vince. I can't tell you how tempting it is to be at a small venue with a band playing to a bad mix and wanting to adjust the levels for the audience. Most recently, I was at a gig with the bass drum literally vibrating across the room over all the other instruments and even the vocals. Maybe some people think that's the way rock music should sound? Humbug!
lovro_asperger

Post by lovro_asperger »

Porsche wrote:Speaking of the circulating 2nd gen: Are we sure about its lineage? Because when I was tinkering with it a few months ago, I noticed the noise (hiss) level changes in a few spots. Most notably just before "Petition The Lord With Prayer." This is usually a tell-tale sign that two sources have been spliced together. Any thoughts? Could this be half 2nd gen and half bootleg source?
You're right, Petition The Lord and LMF are from a different source.
Fuck Jeff Milner!!!