News on Pittsburgh

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

wha happened

Post by wha happened »

wow, but as Mark said it's HIS opinion. Just out of curiosity, what other shows from that tour have you heard Mark?
I think the worse the performance is, the more the LL'ers like it :?: The biggest shocker was hearing that guy say the feedback was the best part of the concert..oook.
BrysonK

Post by BrysonK »

Mark wrote:
BrysonK wrote:I want those drugs that make people think pittsburgh is the best 70's performance. :-o
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, without having sarcasm thrown in their face -- Hawaii is good, I'm not disputing that, but I prefer Pittsburgh.
No harm intended, it was a joke as i made my views on the performance. :wink:
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

I'm not going to pretend Pittsburgh is the best 1970 show, but there are moments from it I like. I think "Someday Soon" is much better than the version they did in Seattle and the extended WTMO is interesting with the lyrics from several other songs thrown in. The criticism with regard to the feedback in that song is understandable, but it didn't bother me as much as when Jim did the feedback during WTMO in Seattle. That was truly horrible. I think Universal Mind ( one of my favs ) is excellent. I think Bruce made it sound great. I also like the way Cory arranged the photos ( and I'm not saying that just because they used some of mine ). The photos by Lisciandro, Preston and McClain are cool. Don't think I've seen any of them before. Overall, I really like it and it was good to finally get to hear the whole show considering it was supposed to come out in 2002. I think they did a good job with it.
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I need to relisten, been about 6 months since the last time. I still prefer the Seattle "Someday Soon" and I thought "Universal Mind" was the worst version of the song, it just sounds "off". At the end you can hear Jim asking if they wanted to do that one again.
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

door71 wrote:I think it is overpriced for one disc. It should be 14.99 instead of 18.99.
It's $12.99 at Amazon and free shipping if your order is $25 or more.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

At first, I was unsure why they ever mentioned the patch job Bruce did on LMF in the press release. But after hearing the show, it's pretty obvious why. You can clearly hear the patch in the middle of the song. It seems the portion is entirely from Philly. I was under the impression they were just editing in Ray's organ to the 8-Track mix since all they said was missing was "16 bars of Ray's solo." Guess I didn't realize Ray's solo also naturally included Jim's vocals and Robby's guitar, heh. Man, things do not look good for a Felt Forum box set.
universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

I ordered through the official site, with the t-shirt....expensive though.
It seems like people on the LL are psyched on this release, especially Pats Radio....he`s been going a bit too far up Jeff`s ass lately, hopefully he showers AT LEAST twice a day...."Another Outstanding Job on the Pittsburgh release Jeff. Its Fabulous. Thank everybody who had a hand in it especially Bruce and Cory. GOD these guys fucking ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Is he trying for a co-archivist job or something..? :|

I`m looking forward to hearing this show in its entirety anyway, not especially fond of any on the AL shows though...they just always seem to be lacking something crucial for me.
glenn

Post by glenn »

universalmind69 wrote: It seems like people on the LL are psyched on this release, especially Pats Radio....he`s been going a bit too far up Jeff`s ass lately....
I was about to go catch up on posts on the Lounge, but this made me rethink. Thanks for helping me make efficient use of my time today.
When I was a kid, we used to put pennies on the tracks and watch them get smashed.
universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

glenn wrote:
universalmind69 wrote: It seems like people on the LL are psyched on this release, especially Pats Radio....he`s been going a bit too far up Jeff`s ass lately....
I was about to go catch up on posts on the Lounge, but this made me rethink. Thanks for helping me make efficient use of my time today.
hahaha :wink:
Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal »

Is it just me or does it seem like Jim's 'whining' more than 'singing?'
Reality is a temporary illusion brought on by the absence of beer.
cutis

Post by cutis »

Reviews are starting to pour in from the LL. Everyone seems to really like Pittsburgh!
John Ryder

Post by John Ryder »

universalmind69 wrote:
Is he trying for a co-archivist job or something..? :|
Co-Teabagger
AK

Post by AK »

Just got the Pittsburgh release.

Sounds great. Significantly sweeter than Boston. Great Backdoor Man from Robby... and to start the show off too. He usually takes a song or two to warm up.

edit: Great Roadhouse Blues. One of the best I've heard.

Great Mystery Train too. Everyone sounds fantastic.

Shit, Excellent show. Close to You was smoking, When the Music's Over was cool and even though I like the Seattle Someday Soon better, it's still really cool to hear it played here.

Great release. This will probably be my go-to Doors show. 1 disc, great setlist, surprisingly awesome performance and great sound.
antero

Post by antero »

no disc for me yet!!! can't wait to listen it after so many good reviews...
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

antero wrote:no disc for me yet!!! can't wait to listen it after so many good reviews...

me either ...
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
AK

Post by AK »

So, what has been edited out of this release?
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

I don't know...
I probably made the worst deal from all people here in this forum:

BMA The Doors Live in Pittsburgh 1970 for €21.50... :roll:
Yeah, :roll:

But hell, despite that "wild horse" :x digipack and in some parts that """"REVERB"""" I have to admitt that I like this show. Not excellent and surely not on my top5 but still very enjoyable.

My present rank of the 1970 shows:

Hawaii
Felt Forum shows
Detroit
Vancouver
Dallas early

I know that Dallas might be hard to understand but I adore those live LA Woman songs. Also some shows would probably jump to higher places if we only had better sources: Long Beach, San Diego and Chicago.

SF
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

well, i enjoy the show, i like the mix, the sound is fine

but the package is a real piece of sh** :x
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

The CD in a sleeve and a cardboard like CD jacket that won't stay closed. Pretty sad and embarrassing on the sleeve/jacket route.

On page 5, that looks like a Randall Bishard photo but no mention of him.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

He certainly did deserve a credit, especially considering that it's one of only three pictures that were actually taken in Pittsburgh.
tsporr93

Post by tsporr93 »

All of the three pictures from Pitts are Randall Bishard photos. There is a fourth one showing who I am guessing is him standing with Jim, but I guess if they used that they would have to credit him.
Some are born to the endless night...
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

I see what happened. The current owner of Randall's photo's is credited.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

TheDoorsMusic wrote:I see what happened. The current owner of Randall's photo's is credited.
Am I mistaken or was Bishard quite clear that he wasn't selling the copyrights?
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

He did sell the copyrights.They are with the new owner now.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

Bought the CD last friday, that was the European release date.

Gotta say I like the concert so far. Never was a big fan of "5 to 1", but BDM and Love Hides are really good.
Nice rendition of RHB, the rapping part of Jim is different and he does it twice, nice! Also a nice solo of Robby there.
Mystery Train has a good groove, the train is rolling.
WTMO...I would have prefered that each song would have been played on its own, meaning BOT and TSP, but it´s a nice rendition.
Someday soon, well I think Jim´s voice sounds a bit weak here. I think you can hear that they didn´t play that song often...
I dig Ray´s voice so I really dig Close to You.
LMF is okay.

All in all a good performance for 1970.
DalloLama

Post by DalloLama »

Living in Australia and ordering the CD from the website, I finally received the concert recently. I read reviews that weren't overly great but I really enjoyed the show. I esp like how Jim blends in a few lines from Break on Through in the middle of WTMO. I was a bit disappointed by Universal Mind, one of my faves.

I'll buy locally from now on re Bright Midnight releases. The CDs are in stores all over Sydney while I have to wait for ages for it to arrive in my letterbox!