Which select live tracks would you like to see be released?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

wha happened

Post by wha happened »

it's all good, we're just discussing what we all love. You should give Dallas a second listen, it's definitely worth it imo. It's way better than the Hollywood Bowl. Break On Through is smokin'. Compare that version to one from 1970, where it tended to be a more laid back jam and lacked a certain intensity. Even Hawaii, which we both agree is one of the best 1970 shows, Jim stumbles on the lyrics.
doorman

Post by doorman »

I have listened to Dallas a couple of times it's not bad actually, i do remember the funky jam during BOT, but Jim's burp was like *groan*, was disappointed they never finished with The End like HB.
It's the only live version of HILY i've heard.

I love discussing live Doors shows and comparing them, comparing single song performances, picking the best single show is difficult.

Like someone said, Danbury is a great show but i'd take Moonlight Drive from Felt Forum and Crystal Ship from Hawaii over the Danbury versions, hey just my opinion

sticking with what we know exists

1. Bakersfield 70 2nd reel
2. Hawaii 70 without cuts
WTD

Post by WTD »

doorman wrote:
dj_vera wrote:
wha happened wrote:If the cold soundstage made them perform like that, then every venue should have been refridgerated.
:lol:

You're right, the Copenhagen show is practically flawless.
2 posts above this you said it was dull. It's kinda short and no audience doesn't help.
That's is what make Copenhagen so great. The Doors came in and played it perfect. It showed how good they were as a band.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

WTD wrote:
doorman wrote:
dj_vera wrote: :lol:

You're right, the Copenhagen show is practically flawless.
2 posts above this you said it was dull. It's kinda short and no audience doesn't help.
That's is what make Copenhagen so great. The Doors came in and played it perfect. It showed how good they were as a band.
Agree!

We have 4 examples of such shows: Matrix 67, Copenhagen 68, PBS 69 and Aquarius Rehearsal 69. I like all of them but I admit the last one is the weakest. The other 3 are superb demonstrations of the intrinsic quality of each band member.

Some tracks of PBS are for sure the best versions around (even considering the album versions): "The Soft Parade", "Wishful Sinful" and "Build me a woman". God, I love these PBS versions!

More, even the Beat Club 72 is an excellent show ("Ship with Sails"... love it!). I wished they had performed more shows without (or with very few) audience. :wink:
doorman

Post by doorman »

Wishful Sinful is great at PBS, better than the studio IMO, that alternate version was a breath of fresh air, i'd take the studio version of The Soft Parade over PBS though, studio has a nice bass line that kicks in halfway through, PBS sounds a bit hollow, just my opinion.