Your favourite moment? Miami? Toccata & Fugue in D Minor

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Satyr

Your favourite moment? Miami? Toccata & Fugue in D Minor

Post by Satyr »

Hi Vince,

Firstly thank you very much indeed for taking the time to answer questions like this.

Ok I have a three part question but if you only have time to answer one then thats fine by me!!!

1. Please describe your best moment working with The Doors?

2. Can you tell us more about the infamous Miami incident where you had to put your thumbs into the belt hoops on Jims trousers?

3. You know that organ you've just finished, the biggest one in the world? I think you said it was in Asia? Well I'm a huge fan of Bach's organ works and just wondered what Toccata & Fugue in D Minor would sound like through that beast? :)
vince

the questions in one.

Post by vince »

Satyr:

My favotist moment, That is really difficult. I think the best performance ever given was Fillmore East, March 1968.

The worst riot was Singer Bowl, 1868,

The beginning of great aquaintanance Columbia 1968, August.

Greatest tragedy - toss up between Amsterdam (Best save), Isle of Wright, (most embarassing), New Orleans (Worst performance)

Controversial - Miami

Most important - Miami and Amsterdam

Most pwerful - the day we tested the new amp system,

Can I refer you to a very detailed article about Miama that I wrote and I believe Freedomman has posted. There is only one error that was so kindly pointed out to me. Jim did get his hand into his pants. Ray saw that and I think that is was this action that prompted Ray to call out to me. Vince, don't let him take his pants off" It was at that point that I walked past John and came up behind Jim. I put my finger in this belt loop and lifted. He voice went up a couple of ocatves but he did not get his pants off. :lol:

I do not know what made me detach but I did and returned to my "Post" it was not too long after this that the promotors bully boys came on stage and hell broke loose. I might add that while Jim retained his dingity, as well as his pants, the most of the male and many of the female (The liberated rednecks) were indeed, stark naked. There was no snake dancing as portrayed in the award winning motion picture "Myth of the Doors" created by Stone.

Nopw - To the organ.

First, It is NOT that larget in the world by any means. On the currently listed large organs it is Number 58 among the big boys. May I describe it - a 4 Manual, 5 Division, 104 Stops, 119 Ranks, 100 Registers and 6820 Pipes. It is the largest CHURCH ORGAN in ASIA.

There is a church currently under construction over here that is massive. I understand that a very large organ has been designed for it and may well be under construction at this time. That one will be when completed the #2 organ worldwide but that is not my concern.

What would the Tocatta sound like. Well. The building in which it stands is acoustically dead. There is no reverberation period at all. To despite the size of the organ and fompliment of Reeds (20) and Principals it is not overly loud or overwhelming. But when you play any music, it is impressive. Theorgan is designed to play all music except that written by Modern Composers. No organ should suffer the insult of being forced to reproduce that kind of cacophony.

The Bacj tocatta, probably the best known of all organ pieces, is a monument to Polyphony. But for real substance - they the Franck Grand piece symphonic, the 3 Chorals, written at the end of his life, or the symphony's by Widow and Vierne. There are hundreds of pieces of music by the French symphonic composers that will absolutely knock you socks off. Whereas Back is mathmatics in sound, the French symphonic pieves are color, towering cascades of tonal color. Immense structures that reach far above the often tedious strings of notes that comprise the Baroque.

All you people on the Forum. Try it out. Break on through. Compare the pasacallia & Fuge is C Minor (Variations on a pedal theme to the Seond Choral of Frank and see what ahppens - But the way, Both of these are really whiz-bangers and the favorite will be hard to choose.

OK - Many of you are not organ fans. But remember Virgil Fox and his bach concerts back in the 70's and so. Kids listened and learned that there is something other than R&R. It can be more gratifying. Be daring - Break on through. Have one last flashing chance at bliss. 1000 thrills, a million ways to spend your time. Even on a CD those pieces are stand up exciting. Put it on, turn it up close you eyes and stand by.

OK - check out the Miami deal on my other posting. It is more detailedthough a tiny bit flawed. Jim amy have got his hand into his pants but he could n't strectch it enough to get it over the top.

Thanks for you questions and please set the record straight on that organ. Largest Church organ in Asia.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
vince

Refer to the organ

Post by vince »

I would like to show you enthusiasts what the Golden Organ looks like. Maybe the "Man" can tell me how to put a picture of the case (The pipes that cover the organ structure behind), caonsole and stoplist. The photos are jpeg and the text is in word.

It is the first organ ever built in Korea, in the first organ factory by the first Korean people. The largest Draw Knob console, first electro-pneumatic action, First pneumatic slider chest, First copper case, On and on.

ANyway, there must be some way to show it to you.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Satyr

Post by Satyr »

Vince,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a reply.

I will find the article you mention re: Miami this evening.

To confirm we have been discussing the largest Church Organ in Asia, NOT the largest in the world as i stated in my first post.

Any musical recommendataions made by a man that can strip down an amp and put it back together again in darkness are taken most seriously and as such, 'Franck - Organ Works' is now on order!!!

Thanks again Vince and please please please write that book!!!!