Boot Yer Butt volume 2?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Beauvoir

Post by Beauvoir »

I think the idea of fan-created projects is awesome.

I'm on some other bands' message boards and the projects the fans put together is often WAY better than anything that gets officially released!

There's sure to be some artistically talented people here who can design jewel case artwork to compliment the package.
twilla

Post by twilla »

Beauvoir wrote:I think the idea of fan-created projects is awesome.

I'm on some other bands' message boards and the projects the fans put together is often WAY better than anything that gets officially released!

There's sure to be some artistically talented people here who can design jewel case artwork to compliment the package.
check out SF Morrison poetry thread and his designs
it's the space between the notes that make the music
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

so did anyone here made a vol 2? is it still a fan project? or the idea was completely dismissed?
Carnival dog
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

desertlizard wrote:so did anyone here made a vol 2? is it still a fan project? or the idea was completely dismissed?
Looks dismissed--- but if you have most or a good amount of boots, it's probably safe to say you have your own BYB2- just use the shuffle tool
ya dig? :wink:
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

^^a shame...

antero did you make your own?
Carnival dog
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

midnightx wrote:
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE wrote:Whaow! I guess Jeff has final veto power.
Somewhat strange. Jeff does technically work for Robby. If Robby wants to issue a side project for collectors, why should Jeff stop him and why would Robby let him?
I find that strange too!
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Because Robby is just too nice. Jeff does technically work for RK, but you would never know that. The follow up to BYB was going to be one disc, almost like a highlights of BYB. Some of the better quality tracks were going to be used along with some new stuff from the Singer Bowl, Fillmore '67 and a track from the Aragon Ballroom post Morrison show. I have the disc in a box around here some where. Robby loved it, but we hit a brick wall with Jeff.
antero

Post by antero »

wha happened wrote:Because Robby is just too nice. Jeff does technically work for RK, but you would never know that. The follow up to BYB was going to be one disc, almost like a highlights of BYB. Some of the better quality tracks were going to be used along with some new stuff from the Singer Bowl, Fillmore '67 and a track from the Aragon Ballroom post Morrison show. I have the disc in a box around here some where. Robby loved it, but we hit a brick wall with Jeff.
great to see you back Greg!
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

highlights doesn't sounds good,

thanks for the info greg
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Thanks for the information Greg. Perhaps you and Robby can approach Jeff again at some point with the idea of following up with a second volume.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

It's worth a shot. I just wish a new batch of audience tapes would turn up.
midnightx

Re:

Post by midnightx »

wha happened wrote:It's worth a shot. I just wish a new batch of audience tapes would turn up.
Greg: Did you and Robby ever follow-up with Jampol about issuing a second volume? Based on releases from recent years, it seems unlikely that BYB would fit into Jampol's release strategy, but it would be nice to see archival that is truly aimed at long-time Doors enthusiasts be released.
wha happened

Re: Boot Yer Butt volume 2?

Post by wha happened »

Another volume seems unlikely. Back in 2005 Jeff said he would never release another set in that quality, despite at the time it was the best selling BMA/BMR product. Jampol likes to give us hardcore fans hope but then never follows through.

-no downloads section on the website
-no Bakersfield
-no Seattle
-no complete LA Woman session
-no uncut newly sourced Matrix
-no complete studio outtakes box set or something similar
-no complete FOF outtakes

The 50th kind fizzled away....we got the first album, again, and some singles. IOW is technically next year. No Strange Days deluxe set either.
Buda

Post by Buda »

Quite frustrating to read all these lost opportunities at once. The hell with Jampol.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

wha happened wrote:Another volume seems unlikely. Back in 2005 Jeff said he would never release another set in that quality, despite at the time it was the best selling BMA/BMR product. Jampol likes to give us hardcore fans hope but then never follows through.

-no Bakersfield
-no Seattle

The 50th kind fizzled away....we got the first album, again, and some singles. IOW is technically next year. No Strange Days deluxe set either.
Amazon is listing a Strange Days 2CD set being released on Nov. 17. I guess we'll get some more Matrix sampler material (to preserve copyright on any unpublished songs) and/or the mono mix? Do they have any outtakes or alternates from Strange Days? Or do we just get "People Are Strange" tuning...
nelson8874

Post by nelson8874 »

Is it just because of jampol? May it not be also the other guys, Robby and Densmore, and from way back, Ray? Don't they have a word on what to be released? It's not good karma to talk bad about the deceased, but i always thought about Ray being very tight about The Doors brand....
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

nelson8874 wrote:Is it just because of jampol? May it not be also the other guys, Robby and Densmore, and from way back, Ray? Don't they have a word on what to be released? It's not good karma to talk bad about the deceased, but i always thought about Ray being very tight about The Doors brand....
BYB was Robby's pet project so-to-speak. He showed interest in producing a second volume. His management representation balked at the idea. If Densmore and Ray didn't stop the first volume, it is unlikely that they would have stopped a second volume. Greg was clear that it was a directive from management that stopped the second BYB volume from being realized.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

hardrockcafe wrote:
wha happened wrote:Another volume seems unlikely. Back in 2005 Jeff said he would never release another set in that quality, despite at the time it was the best selling BMA/BMR product. Jampol likes to give us hardcore fans hope but then never follows through.

-no Bakersfield
-no Seattle

Amazon is listing a Strange Days 2CD set being released on Nov. 17. I guess we'll get some more Matrix sampler material (to preserve copyright on any unpublished songs) and/or the mono mix? Do they have any outtakes or alternates from Strange Days? Or do we just get "People Are Strange" tuning...
My understanding is that is a mono mix. I would not be surprised to see the stereo and mono mix released, with perhaps a sprinkling of Matrix tracks. No one should expect anything truly exciting.
Zhukov17

Post by Zhukov17 »

Two questions:

1. I think most of us all have the same audience recordings... Anyways, it might be fun to post what we thing is the best that wasn't on BYB (Some neat stuff from Cleveland, Allen Theater, Palace in the Canyon, etc...), stuff that's been released since, etc... That would be kinda cool in my opinion. Just to get a feel of what other fans like.

2. Are there people who have to the Norman Mailer Cinematheque tapes? I haven't been involved in trading/listening to Doors recordings for almost 15 years, but that used to be like a holy grail that nobody knew if it circulated. Wasn't there supposed to be a bunch of Jim poems, with some blues covers, I Will Never Be Untrue, and a really funky Backdoor Man? If Cinamatheque is being circulated, that'd be a huge contribution to a 1 disc, Volume 2 of BYB (with some marginal commerical value to us Doors fans).
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Well from when we first compiled BYB, Sugerman told us we couldn't use anything from the Matrix, Hollywood Bowl, Stockholm, Felt Forum, Seattle, Vancouver etc...basically the AL shows or ones he wanted to release.

There is an alternate Dallas 70 late but we couldn't get our hands on a copy. There's an alternate Cleveland 70 (both nights), and again, we couldn't get our hands on a copy. Colorado 67, Asbury 68 and Winterland 70 are a few more that surfaced after BYB.

The problem with Cinematheque is a few songs are incomplete and the Doors don't own the rights. I'm not even sure it's worth a stand alone release now. Some of the tracks would be ideal for something like a box set or as bonus tracks on a Morrison poetry release.
Last edited by wha happened on Sat May 12, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zhukov17

Post by Zhukov17 »

Gotcha,

Yeah, I love the Cleveland 70 show. I think, in terms of audience recordings, it's incredible. The Jim Morrison sermon during 'Petition the Lord' (before LMF) is awesome. I also think its the only good version of 'Will the Circle Be Unbroken.' Dallas 70, with "Palace in the Canyon," is also amazing.

Regards to Cinematheque, I've just never heard it-- would love to. The Colorado 67, Winterland 70 (other than those two that used to circulate) I've never heard.

In fact, when I was reading Fillmore 67 in the above thread, I thought that was referring to Winterland 67... What is the Fillmore 67 tape that exists? Is it SB?

A final question... Cinematheque, Colorado 67, Winterland 70, Fillmore 67... how rare are these? Have most of the people on this message board heard them? Thanks in advance. What is the best way to go about just listening to these shows? Is there a path to hearing them?

I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I haven't been into trading tapes since 2002 (at the latest)-- so over 15 years. It was more of a 90s thing. I've purchased all the BMA stuff and officially released stuff. I think the "Let's Feed Ice Cream to the Rats" LP just released sounds incredible. Anyways, I've recently gotten back into this world and its been fun. Love this forum! Thanks so much for it. Just trying to catch up with the realities of the situation.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

There are samples of the new Winterland 70 tape uploaded here. Copies will circulate soon enough. It's from a different night than the 2 songs we've had for years.

The Fillmore tape is most likely Winterland. The date is still uncertain, but it's likely November. It's 4 track although there was a recording glitch and the drums went unrecorded. There is some bleed through during some sections of songs.

Most of Colorado was uploaded here. I just did mp3 but will get around to a lossless version sooner or later. Winterland sold on ebay a couple weeks ago.

The person that recorded Cleveland 70 also recorded Columbus 68. He said he still has the tape but needs to find it in the storage unit, hopefully soon.
Zhukov17

Post by Zhukov17 »

Oh geeze,

Thanks so much for info. I'll search those out on the message boards that you said were here.

Is the Colorado show that LMF that was part of a college station recording? I do remember that popping up a few years ago.

Thanks for the replies. I'm off to find those other recordings you said were here on message boards!!
Buda

Post by Buda »

wha happened wrote:The person that recorded Cleveland 70 also recorded Columbus 68. He said he still has the tape but needs to find it in the storage unit, hopefully soon.
Excellent news. If they are similarly in such attack mode - prior to the EU tour - as they were in Asbury, we are in for a real treat.
portugy8

Post by portugy8 »

Yea from the review on me looks like a great show and the minneapolis show from the same tour is a really good one with amazing versions of bdm little red rooster and lmtt the only down i would say is the way jim finishes lmf with no energy
Buda

Post by Buda »

portugy8 wrote:Yea from the review on me looks like a great show and the minneapolis show from the same tour is a really good one with amazing versions of bdm little red rooster and lmtt the only down i would say is the way jim finishes lmf with no energy
Which review you got? Can you post it?
portugy8

Post by portugy8 »

It is someone who was at the show who posted his experience on the concert even tough his setlist does seem to be a bit big for a 1968 show i would really like to hear that early version of tell all the people tho, the review is on the mild equator site
Steeps

Post by Steeps »

Zhukov17 wrote:
A final question... Cinematheque, Colorado 67, Winterland 70, Fillmore 67... how rare are these? Have most of the people on this message board heard them? Thanks in advance. What is the best way to go about just listening to these shows? Is there a path to hearing them?
Greg is avoiding discussing Cinematheque because he is sitting on a copy and knows the rest of us would love to hear it.
Buda

Post by Buda »

portugy8 wrote:It is someone who was at the show who posted his experience on the concert even tough his setlist does seem to be a bit big for a 1968 show i would really like to hear that early version of tell all the people tho, the review is on the mild equator site
Thanks for letting me know. I asked in case it's a different one to what I'm also familiar with.