Boot Yer Butt volume 2?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

StrangeNightOfStone

Boot Yer Butt volume 2?

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Sadly my copy of Boot Yer Butt was stolen when my bookbag was lifted from my chair at Starbucks- so mehtinks I'll have to get another off Ebay...

I really hope the Doors concider Boot Yer Butt vol 2- Clearly there are some audience gems that would fit on a 2 cd release- even a couple Other Voices era tracks would work...

Greg, do you think the Doors would be receptive to a volume 2, or would Jeff be a brick wall to that idea?

Given the demand for the original Boot yer Butt, it;s a shame they didn't make over 5000 copies..They would definatly have sold...

I noticed on Amazon.com mp3 downloads of Boot Yer Butt are being sold- is that legit?
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I made a one disc Best Of and sent it off to RK, he loved it, but Jeff said NO more releases like that. It contained the better quality tracks and a few upgrades like Long Beach that turned up after BYB was already in production. I think I also included the Mosquito from the Aragon Ballroom as a nod to RK.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Another recent idea was to include every recording we can get our hands on and release it on a dvd-audio disc, or 2. That way you can include a lot more than a regular music CD, and give the fans unedited shows that appeared on the first set. Onece again, Jeff cockblocked it.
And for the people that think the first set was too expensive, everyone involved thought so too. We wanted it to cost $35-40..but Rhino decided to charge the $80.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

If we wanted, we could always do that idea ourselves and put them on DVD-Rs or create a fan-made BYB sequel.
It doesn't seem like an official release will be happening anytime soon under current management.
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

wha happened wrote:Another recent idea was to include every recording we can get our hands on and release it on a dvd-audio disc, or 2. That way you can include a lot more than a regular music CD, and give the fans unedited shows that appeared on the first set. Onece again, Jeff cockblocked it.
And for the people that think the first set was too expensive, everyone involved thought so too. We wanted it to cost $35-40..but Rhino decided to charge the $80.
People are bitching over on LL about Boot Yer Butt not having been soundboard quality- what the hell did they expect-they are audience recordings!! I'm glad it came out-I'll admit I took awhile to buy it, but once I did-I was very impressed.
But I have met a few enigmatic Doors fans who say if a show isn't soundboard crisp- then they don't want to hear it- Jesus, I'll listen to the San Diego show, and that sounds as if it were recorded from the parking lot- I just want to hear the music.
I know this one guy who claimed to be a hardcore fan, and cited LA Woman as his favorite album-But He wouldn't listen to the audio of the Dallas show, because it wasn't soundboard crisp- Doors fans like that annoy me. Boot Yet Butt was a bit pricey, but in the end worth it in my view..

There have been some true gems realased via BMR-most notibly the Aquarius shows- But the rarity of material from 1967 and 68 is frustrating..All we seem to have are audience boots, and somthing is indeed better than nothing....Why the Doors are not trying to procure the Matrix shows defies imagination...
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

Porsche wrote:If we wanted, we could always do that idea ourselves and put them on DVD-Rs or create a fan-made BYB sequel.
It doesn't seem like an official release will be happening anytime soon under current management.
Superb idea!
antero

Post by antero »

dj_vera wrote:
Porsche wrote:If we wanted, we could always do that idea ourselves and put them on DVD-Rs or create a fan-made BYB sequel.
Superb idea!
a 24 bits DVD-A will be even better..
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

So who's gonna help create this fan-made BYB sequel?
J.B.Marx

Post by J.B.Marx »

Surely I want to help, but I'm sure that others on this forum got greater stuff than me.
Bluecow2

Post by Bluecow2 »

Then put fourth your boots, organize and create the sequel.
russman

Post by russman »

why don't we do our own Boot Yer Butt?
make it a forum project or something. start a thread where everybody can throw up their boot highlights!
antero

Post by antero »

russman wrote:why don't we do our own Boot Yer Butt?
make it a forum project or something. start a thread where everybody can throw up their boot highlights!
i think the real idea could be to get the best versions and lower gen sources..and of course to get released some gems like cinemateque, alt singer bowl and why not the WDL sessions...that's why i call a new project..otherwise will be another rebundant compilation.
BrysonK

Post by BrysonK »

antero wrote:
cinemateque, alt singer bowl and why not the WDL sessions
Not gonna happen. Remember when the SBD of IOW came out? Pretty neat - but within a few months bootleggers were already selling CD's of it.
antero

Post by antero »

BrysonK wrote:
antero wrote:
cinemateque, alt singer bowl and why not the WDL sessions
Not gonna happen. Remember when the SBD of IOW came out? Pretty neat - but within a few months bootleggers were already selling CD's of it.
not a good reason to cancel the fans hope to release new material, bootlegers are the scam of the planet and they always be around, if we can make the world safe and prevent anything to happen...will be amazing..so, sorry Bryson but i'm getting a little tired with the bootleg excuse to let some material to circulate among the fan community.
lovro_asperger

Post by lovro_asperger »

antero wrote: not a good reason to cancel the fans hope to release new material, bootlegers are the scam of the planet and they always be around, if we can make the world safe and prevent anything to happen...will be amazing..so, sorry Bryson but i'm getting a little tired with the bootleg excuse to let some material to circulate among the fan community.
Agreed.
Fuck Jeff Milner!!!
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

antero wrote: not a good reason to cancel the fans hope to release new material, bootlegers are the scam of the planet and they always be around, if we can make the world safe and prevent anything to happen...will be amazing..so, sorry Bryson but i'm getting a little tired with the bootleg excuse to let some material to circulate among the fan community.
cool..track those items down and share 'em then.

p.s. your attitude might change when copies of your dvd's start turning up on Ebay and at record conventions throughout the Country.
antero

Post by antero »

wha happened wrote:
cool..track those items down and share 'em then.
yep

That's what i'm going to do with the Bakersfield 70 clip, i got it coming to me from 2 different sources with the explicit message to release it to the masses.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

But how can you have an Ebay auction pulled when you don't the rights to any of that footage? Once HWY got out, there wasn't much that could be done. Ebay is the sole reason the HWY outtakes aren't shared. I find it hard to believe that if the Stockholm upgrades were shared that someone won't give them slick artwork and have copies forsale. Good job on the Bakers footage, hope it's complete and from the master. Maybe your sources will offer up stuff like the Village Theater and Hawaii footage.
Bluecow2

Post by Bluecow2 »

the Bakersfield 70 clip
You mean that's not out there still? Been around for ages. Same

cinemateque, alt singer bowl
old
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

BYB was a very cool release and a very cool idea. This alternative picture of the band's live work is essential. As great as the BMA AL releases are, they really only tell one part of the story of a much larger picture. Sad that Jeff doesn't see the value in additional, similar releases.
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

Post by LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE »

I think after they release (whenever that might be) OV/FC and the much delayed Outtakes release, they hopefully may also release the entire alternate Singer Bowl source that was featured on BYB Vol 1. As to if there'll ever be a Vol 2, that's probably up to Robby. BYB was his pet project. I guess it's up to him if they do a Vol 2.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

We all wanted to do Vol. 2...Jeff said no.
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

Whaow! I guess Jeff has final veto power.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE wrote:Whaow! I guess Jeff has final veto power.
Somewhat strange. Jeff does technically work for Robby. If Robby wants to issue a side project for collectors, why should Jeff stop him and why would Robby let him?
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

That is exactly what I thought. Doesn't Jeff work for Robby? Regarding other releases in the past, I recall Jeff saying that it's not up to him, but the band members themselves who each have to approve what is released. In other words, it must be accepted unanimously or else it does not get released.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

The Jampol you see/hear from on the LL and the one in private are two different people.
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

man this would be awesome i mean a volume 2 but it would be excellent to put out some "rare" stuff on this like "shows not available" on net and stuff otherwise i wouldnt buy another compilation.
Carnival dog
lizard69

Post by lizard69 »

wha happened wrote:The Jampol you see/hear from on the LL and the one in private are two different people.
A friend of mine works for a web company which would handle the new Doors website many months ago, but the deal wasn't made. It seems that Jampol is very tough to deal with.
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

lizard69 wrote:
wha happened wrote:The Jampol you see/hear from on the LL and the one in private are two different people.
A friend of mine works for a web company which would handle the new Doors website many months ago, but the deal wasn't made. It seems that Jampol is very tough to deal with.
Tough to deal with can be good sometimes doing business but being open minded for options would at least be a start.
It seems like he dismisses great chances before even really looking in to it.
Buda

Post by Buda »

I don't think a sequel would be the thing to do. If there's any intention from the Doors camp to release such, then I believe the best would be to release all of those dates in its entirety. Just like the Matrix shows. Complete Miami, etc. written over the jewel case that they are AUDIENCE recordings so the sbd fans can not fall in a trap. As time goes by these recordings going to get clearer and clearer in the heads ;)