How about an 'Other Voices era Doors concert release on BMR?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Roughie

Re: How about an 'Other Voices era Doors concert release on BMR?

Post by Roughie »

I agree Tombstone
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

wha happened wrote:ok, but how many shows did Ray, Robby and John perform with just the three of them? I don't remember if they had a singer when they played the show around the time American Prayer came out and there was a show at the Whisky. Did they have a singer that time? I don't know if any tapes exist of those shows.

More recently we saw the release of shows through disclive from the Ian Astbury era D21c. Most of the Doors of the 21st Century/ D21c/ Riders On The Storm/ Manzarek-Krieger Band concerts were professionally recorded but there's little interest in that period, plus they had different management so that's not up to the Jampol management team.
I think we can all agree The Doors never played as a three piece outside the odd performance such as Amsterdam, and this Paris 'reunion'. Regarding Paris, and The Whisky performances of the 1970s, I would like to hear these, particularly with Iggy Pop fronting. I can imagine they used hired equipment, and either didn't have a Piano Bass, or had a bass player who wasn't represented in the Doors original canon, thus changing the sound and IMO making The Doors sound quite generic... but I'd still like to hear them. American Prayer still has a somewhat classic and original Doors sound. Contrasted to the 1993 RnR HOF reunion which sucked balls. Anything beyond this such as D21C etc is only mildly interesting for songs that never were performed live or were rarely performed.. IMO anyway.

Everyone is always discovering new times Morrison fronted a blues band at some club or what not, but I wonder if The Doors ever got up without Jim and sat in with a group or performed impromptu sets...
"Have a few beers, and take your time..."
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I'm sure you've heard this track from Ferrara's album. Ray, Robby and John played on this one while Jim was still alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXm2sMr1Qz8
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

wha happened wrote:I'm sure you've heard this track from Ferrara's album. Ray, Robby and John played on this one while Jim was still alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXm2sMr1Qz8
I've not actually heard this before. Funnily enough, although I hear that it's them, by the style of playing, it's not typically Doors-y, and the absence of the Rothchild-Botnick sound reinforces their position as the fifth and sixth Doors. It sounds more 70s than anything.

edit- some of Kriegers playing sounds just like some of the licks he used on AP. I can't recall the name of the track, but it's the one where they add that delay effect to Jims voice as he says "dust... shoes.."
"Have a few beers, and take your time..."