How about an 'Other Voices era Doors concert release on BMR?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

John Ryder wrote:I don't think they do...I heard Ray say one time they didn't have the masters to OV & FC!! Jack Conrad told me he had a emergency 2 track reel to reel of OV and I told him about what Ray said, Jack told me later on he turned it over to Ray & Bruce to be baked and digitized, this was back in 2005 I believe haven't heard anything about them since.
midnightx wrote:
wha happened wrote:I was told Bruce recorded the entire OV tour. There's a couple decent shows from that tour but sadly The Doors don't seem to recognize that era.
Do you think the band still has those shows in their archives?
Yeah, my understanding is that the OV & FC masters were missing and are still missing (along with masters of Ray's solo work), aside from Conrad's 2 track reel of OV. Still, if Botnick recorded the entire OV tour (I assume mostly to soundboard - I can't imagine the label or band financing multitrack recording), that is a lot of missing tapes.

Frankly, I don't dig this material, so I don't really care if I ever hear it again, but I do find the situation with the so much missing tape very interesting.
John Ryder

Post by John Ryder »

Wha' told me one time that he saw pictures of their archive and there was quite a bit of Ray solo stuff in there.
midnightx wrote:
John Ryder wrote:I don't think they do...I heard Ray say one time they didn't have the masters to OV & FC!! Jack Conrad told me he had a emergency 2 track reel to reel of OV and I told him about what Ray said, Jack told me later on he turned it over to Ray & Bruce to be baked and digitized, this was back in 2005 I believe haven't heard anything about them since.
midnightx wrote: Do you think the band still has those shows in their archives?
Yeah, my understanding is that the OV & FC masters were missing and are still missing (along with masters of Ray's solo work), aside from Conrad's 2 track reel of OV. Still, if Botnick recorded the entire OV tour (I assume mostly to soundboard - I can't imagine the label or band financing multitrack recording), that is a lot of missing tapes.

Frankly, I don't dig this material, so I don't really care if I ever hear it again, but I do find the situation with the so much missing tape very interesting.
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

I'd like to hear at least a comp of the OV tour

Absolutely Alive
WordMan

Post by WordMan »

Post Morrison concerts would be perfect for a download service. I'd get all of them for sure, but I'd hate to see a BMA release of one of these over a Morrison era show.
How're you gonna keep them down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?
MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

What's the source of the "two-fer" cd that's circulates on unofficial factory pressed cd and the internet? Don't think it's a needle drop and apparently it soulnds fairly clean.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

MajorMojo wrote:What's the source of the "two-fer" cd that's circulates on unofficial factory pressed cd and the internet? Don't think it's a needle drop and apparently it soulnds fairly clean.
Mine has Elektra on it and then a lot of writing in Russian. It looks like it is an Elektra release... doesn't mean that it actually is though!
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

Roughie wrote:
MajorMojo wrote:What's the source of the "two-fer" cd that's circulates on unofficial factory pressed cd and the internet? Don't think it's a needle drop and apparently it soulnds fairly clean.
Mine has Elektra on it and then a lot of writing in Russian. It looks like it is an Elektra release... doesn't mean that it actually is though!
We all know the legality of that release is highly tenuous even by Russian standards.

I'm asking what the audio source: needledrop, the 2-track the Doors have or possibly from 8-track or reel to reel.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

I have that, its ok but not 10/10 thats all I can say. The Tightrope track on the 97 box was ropey.

I also have the vinyl replica Cds of both OC and FC, cant recall what they sound like but they look good.

isnt it frustrating to say the least that they recorded the entire OV tour but couldnt do the same in the 5 years preceding, even less than a year before.
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

anytimecowboy wrote:

isnt it frustrating to say the least that they recorded the entire OV tour but couldnt do the same in the 5 years preceding, even less than a year before.
Sounds very strange to me! But nothing surprises me anymore with this band.... oh shit... ok the London Fog tape did! lol

StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

How many filmed performanes from the Other Voices era exist on tape?
There is the beat Club- wasn't there also a tv concert in london '72?
Didnt they do Dick Cavett's how?
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:How many filmed performanes from the Other Voices era exist on tape?
There is the beat Club- wasn't there also a tv copncert in london '72?
Cavett?
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

Old Grey Whistle Test
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
Beauvoir

Post by Beauvoir »

If they were released officially, I'd grab them.

Can't say I'd play 'em too often though!

Bring on more Jim era shows. I don't think expecting one a year is too much.
PoorOtis D&G

Re: How about an 'Other Voices era Doors concert release on BMR?

Post by PoorOtis D&G »

Well we have official releases of Other Voices and Full Circle with Tree Trunk! Which is cause for celebration.

Although, I feel given the fact that they had close to twenty years to release the them on cd they missed the mark entirely. I did like the new notes from John and Robby but other then that the booklet was rather blah. It could of used more photos of them in the studio or even on tour or even pictures of the singles.
Also other than Tree Trunk which was previously released , there was no new alternate takes or live cuts. Hell, they could have thrown Beat Club '72 in as a bonus DVD.

While the Morrison era albums have been re-re-re re-released I feel that this may be the last word when it comes to these albums and could have been released with everything from this era, kind of a end all be type of thing.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

I agree that the booklet was lackluster. Glad they are finally on CD though.

tombstone

Post by tombstone »

If Botnick did indeed record the whole OV tour, you'd think by now they'd get around to releasing these shows. Certainly, offering them as downloads would keep costs down. I've been saying this for years. It doesn't help that hardcore Doors fans keep saying over the years how they're really not interested in OV & FC era material. If the Doors have depleted much or all of their Morrison era soundboard live archive, why not release the 1971-1972 shows?
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

I like how someone suggested an Absolutely Live album, Good idea and one to test the waters with too.

HungryHippo

Post by HungryHippo »

I'm listening to the Imperial College show as I type this and think that getting this OV/FC live material out into the public's hands wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm a fan of this era and I think, if anything, they can release it as a homage to Ray. So many bands are scratching the bottom of the barrel to put out "new" releases. It's a bit odd that this stuff is still sitting on someone's shelf.
pinhead

Post by pinhead »

What is The Best sounding concert of this era?
DalloLama

Post by DalloLama »

I remember Carnegie Hall '71 sounded pretty good
afilosa09

Post by afilosa09 »

I'd definitely like to see a live release from the post-Morrison band. Before OV/FC was re-released, I hoped they could do a little mini box set of the 3 piece band, with some live shows.

An Absolutely Live sort of best-of would be cool, but then I'm sure we'd just clamor to get the full shows that it'd be sourced from!
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

At some point Botnick said he recorded an entire post-Morrison tour, but that doesn't mean the tapes survived or are even in The Doors' archives at this point. One would think some of the material would have been considered for release when Jampol released the OV/FC two-fer. If BMA was still BMR and predominately a mail-order/internet label, and assuming the band has any of the tapes, then perhaps a show or two would have been released by now. That said, it would be surprising to find out that these tapes did indeed survive.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

afilosa09 wrote:I'd definitely like to see a live release from the post-Morrison band. Before OV/FC was re-released, I hoped they could do a little mini box set of the 3 piece band, with some live shows.

An Absolutely Live sort of best-of would be cool, but then I'm sure we'd just clamor to get the full shows that it'd be sourced from!
Other Voices was released October 1971, they didn't play their first live show until November 12th. I'm not really sure how they could release a live concert that never happened. The same goes for a mini box of the 3 piece band. They were never a 3 piece touring band on that 71-72 tour. We're lucky if they have or still have any professionally recorded shows from those tours. I doubt those things are high on the list of priorities. Something like that might happen for the 75th anniv.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

wha happened wrote:
afilosa09 wrote:I'd definitely like to see a live release from the post-Morrison band. Before OV/FC was re-released, I hoped they could do a little mini box set of the 3 piece band, with some live shows.

Other Voices was released October 1971, they didn't play their first live show until November 12th. I'm not really sure how they could release a live concert that never happened. The same goes for a mini box of the 3 piece band. They were never a 3 piece touring band on that 71-72 tour. We're lucky if they have or still have any professionally recorded shows from those tours. I doubt those things are high on the list of priorities. Something like that might happen for the 75th anniv.
Surely this person is referring to the 're release' of OV and FC that came out a couple years ago, and not back in 1971...
"Have a few beers, and take your time..."
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

ok, but how many shows did Ray, Robby and John perform with just the three of them? I don't remember if they had a singer when they played the show around the time American Prayer came out and there was a show at the Whisky. Did they have a singer that time? I don't know if any tapes exist of those shows.

More recently we saw the release of shows through disclive from the Ian Astbury era D21c. Most of the Doors of the 21st Century/ D21c/ Riders On The Storm/ Manzarek-Krieger Band concerts were professionally recorded but there's little interest in that period, plus they had different management so that's not up to the Jampol management team.
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

...if I remember correctly, no singer for the American prayer performance. Also the whiskey gig I believe had more than one singer, iggy pop was one singer wearing a Jim Morrison t-shirt and a pair of leather pants given to him by Ray which belonged to Jim.m....
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

Ive always wondered about the american prayer show. Does anyone know if there are any pics? Or a set list?
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

...yes , they played 4 songs if I remember correctly, in Paris no? , for the promotion of American prayer....
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

... I think, love me two times, light my fire , ghost song , and I think one ther song...
tombstone

Post by tombstone »

Those performances are part of the bands' history. I hate that so many people over the years keep marginalizing that phase. It happened. I'm sure they'd have preferred that Jim came back in time and perhaps pulled it together enough to record again. But since he didn't, it's what they had to work with. I'd love to hear professional recordings if such exist.