How about an 'Other Voices era Doors concert release on BMR?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

StrangeNightOfStone

How about an 'Other Voices era Doors concert release on BMR?

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

On LL, i suggested to Jeff if and when the Doors release Other Voices and Full Circle, they should release them in one boxset, along with footage of the Doors on the Beat Club in Bremen, and/or other tv spots from 71' and 72'. On the Dick Cavett show perhaps? Jeff seemed neither interested nor disinterested-This does bring to mind one thing-Would you like to see the release of any Doors show from 71-72 on BMR?

Of couse I would not want to see any of the Ian Astbury era performances as BMR releases- as without Jim and John, they were a different entity than the Doors, talented though they may be..I have caught more flack form other fans who blasted me because I didn't think the 'Doors of the 21st century' or 'Riders On The storm' were in fact the Doors....

I think the transformation is analgous to what Jefferson Airplane went throug-
They started off as Great Soociety, then became Jefferson Airplane, then Jefferson Starship, then Starship. Starship was not Jefferson Airplane- It had some of the same members, but it had changed. Ditto with Riders on The storm-they are not the Doors...
But that's neither here nor there....

On BMR, how about a show from the Other Voices tour?

There are times it seems the Doors are trying to purge all memory of the Other Voices/Full Cicle period from public conciousness.
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I think sometimes Jeff just tells us things we want to hear just to shut us up for another 6 months. Jeff's assistant, Cory, kept telling us when we met him that that era isn't the Doors. If that's his view, Jeff's shouldn't be much different.
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

Post by LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE »

They should have released OV/FC on Cd back in 1995 when they released An American Prayer on Cd for the 1st time. Here we are 13 years later and still no official OV/FC Cd. It's obvious that they just don't care enough about it to release it.
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE wrote:They should have released OV/FC on Cd back in 1995 when they released An American Prayer on Cd for the 1st time. Here we are 13 years later and still no official OV/FC Cd. It's obvious that they just don't care enough about it to release it.

jeff told that they are working on that releases ... and i believe him

just kidding
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

What's interesting is if the recent lawsuit over the use of the name "The Doors" would have any impact on how Other Voices and Full Circle would be marketed.

Can these be reissued as "The Doors" in the aftermath of the Densmore band name lawsuit, as Morrison was no longer part of the band?

I would like to hear this material. Have they found the masters? I think Tightrope Ride was a needle drop on the infamous 1997 box set.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

About 4 years ago, sitting in Jeff's office, myself and "John Ryder" from this board had a friendly debate with Jeff's assistant Cory whether or not OV & FS should get an official release, and be included in the discography. He insisted, it wasn't the Doors, they shouldn't be recognized. At the same time, Jeff's mouthpiece, Dave would go on and on how D21c/Riders on The Storm WAS the Doors...wha? His posts were sickening and laughable. It was the direct opposite of what the thinking was behind closed doors. I'm still waiting for their album that Dave said was coming out since 2004. "I just got off the phone with Ray.." Remember those posts? [/rant]
They seemed to have changed their mind regarding OV/FS after so many fans asked about them. Last we heard, they don't have the masters for those albums. "John Ryder" got them an OV 2 track mix down that Jack Conrad had. That was turned over to Bruce.
John Ryder

Post by John Ryder »

"Hey Wha Happened!!!"
wha happened wrote:About 4 years ago, sitting in Jeff's office, myself and "John Ryder" from this board had a friendly debate with Jeff's assistant Cory whether or not OV & FS should get an official release, and be included in the discography. He insisted, it wasn't the Doors, they shouldn't be recognized. At the same time, Jeff's mouthpiece, Dave would go on and on how D21c/Riders on The Storm WAS the Doors...wha? His posts were sickening and laughable. It was the direct opposite of what the thinking was behind closed doors. I'm still waiting for their album that Dave said was coming out since 2004. "I just got off the phone with Ray.." Remember those posts? [/rant]
They seemed to have changed their mind regarding OV/FS after so many fans asked about them. Last we heard, they don't have the masters for those albums. "John Ryder" got them an OV 2 track mix down that Jack Conrad had. That was turned over to Bruce.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

So unless they have actually found the masters, we can expect them to just use the 2-track mix down for OV and either a vinyl or probably a Russian bootleg source for FC.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

how did they lose the multitracks of the masters?

even with all the tapes elektra threw out in the 70s, the doors kept the multis of the master takes of the original six studio albums, per perception.
Last edited by hardrockcafe on Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

hardrockcafe wrote:how did they lose the multitracks of the masters?

even with all the tapes elektra through out in the 70s, the doors kept the multis of the master takes of the original six studio albums, per perception.
Yeah thank God they held on to those at least! Well that's what they have been saying for a while that they don't have the masters for OV/FC. But they have some post-Morrison concerts and the masters to Ray's solo projects. But who knows maybe they have found them.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

We don't know for sure if they still have any post-Jim concerts. Vince said Bruce recorded all/most of the OV tour. The info about the OV & FC masters is a few years old, so MAYBE they did find them while transferring everything to digital recently. Shortly after Jeff took over they did take photos of every tape in the archive and catalog them. Most of the photos I saw were of masters/mix down tapes from Ray's solo period.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

cool, what else did you see?
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

I tracked these albums down and took a listen.

Ships W' Sails is a standout. Great groove and arrangement. Ray's singing is not as cringeworthy as I expected it to be.

It's remarkable how much Robby's voice sounds like Bob Dylan in the intro to the Mosquito.

This material is not all that bad. There are some interesting things here.

I'm guessing the band feels these albums subvert their Morrison legacy so they have kept them out of print--or perhaps they are embarrassed by them.

I'm actually liking some of this stuff....
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

hardrockcafe wrote:I tracked these albums down and took a listen.

Ships W' Sails is a standout. Great groove and arrangement. Ray's singing is not as cringeworthy as I expected it to be.

It's remarkable how much Robby's voice sounds like Bob Dylan in the intro to the Mosquito.

This material is not all that bad. There are some interesting things here.

I'm guessing the band feels these albums subvert their Morrison legacy so they have kept them out of print--or perhaps they are embarrassed by them.

I'm actually liking some of this stuff....
Me too. =)

As I stated before I consider Ship with Sails the last great Doors song. This song by itself justifies a CD edition.

Also and it might sound strange to you but I think OV is the last Doors album. There's no Jim but the band seems to have connections with his recent past.

Not to be offensive but for me FC was vinyl waste.
The Royal Sperm

FC isn't bad at all, the mosquito is instrumentaly good, verdilac sounds good without the lyrics too
www.KatRecords.com
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

I cringe every time I hear those FULL CIRCLE female background singers. They are referred to in the album credits as THE OTHER VOICES (Clydie King, Venetta Fields, & Melissa Mackay). They sing well, but they stick out like a sore thumb. They are the furthest thing from THE DOORS as you can get.
StrangeNightOfStone

LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE wrote:I cringe every time I hear those FULL CIRCLE female background singers. They are referred to in the album credits as THE OTHER VOICES (Clydie King, Venetta Fields, & Melissa Mackay). They sing well, but they stick out like a sore thumb. They are the furthest thing from THE DOORS as you can get.

I have to wonder what direction they would have gone had they put out additional albums in the same vein as Full Circle. Could the Doors have gone disco?
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

At the beginning of Good Rockin' from FC you can hear "take 3 Rockin". It makes me wonder if takes 1 & 2 are in their vault missing mislabeled somewhere.
DalloLama

Post by DalloLama »

What are people's favourite shows from 1971-72? I only have Germany '72 and Central Park '72.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

A lot of this stuff is cringe-worthy. Brutal vocals and embarrassing lyrics. The Doors were still clearly talented musicians, but really were lacking direction with these two endeavors. I wouldn't care if the multi-tracks stayed missing....
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

Would you like to see the release of any Doors show from 71-72 on BMR?
Yeah, or at least a compiled live album (like Absolutely Live) in good professional quality, especially from '71.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

The fact that they won't release FC/OV on CD (or at least haven't to date) doesn't look good for a concert release. I like Grasshoppers idea.
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

i would like these releases to happen, and i think they will eventually....its just gonna take some time...i can't wait to hear vinces recordings from there tours without morrison.....
The Royal Sperm

maybe a sampler is a good idea, but only to get market and then release all that OV shows at least a limited edition box set with all of them only for collectors
www.KatRecords.com
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

The Royal Sperm wrote:maybe a sampler is a good idea, but only to get market and then release all that OV shows at least a limited edition box set with all of them only for collectors
+1
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

a limitied boxset would be fantastic and more idealistic for the doors....release both albums, other voices and full circle-remastered with bonus material.... and then a boxset of the tours, recorded by vince.... :D
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

lovemygirl wrote:a limitied boxset would be fantastic and more idealistic for the doors....release both albums, other voices and full circle-remastered with bonus material.... and then a boxset of the tours, recorded by vince.... :D
I'm certainly not a fan of this era from the band, but I'm less of a fan of "limited edition" packages. Future generations of fans get screwed when something is limited.
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

I have to give any post-Morrison release the thumbs down. :/ We all know the Doors are very frugal with their money. Why spend even a penny on such a release when it could be put to MUCH better use? Mainly, tracking down 1967 soundboards, footage, etc. IMO of course.
StrangeNightOfStone

A good bunus disc could have live performances of the tracks- Beat Club, plus I think there was a filmed gig in the UK...
StrangeNightOfStone

jdlaw wrote:I have to give any post-Morrison release the thumbs down. :/ We all know the Doors are very frugal with their money. Why spend even a penny on such a release when it could be put to MUCH better use? Mainly, tracking down 1967 soundboards, footage, etc. IMO of course.

I think the boys can walk and chew gum at the same time...