How about an 'Other Voices era Doors concert release on BMR?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

A FC/OV era live recording without the singing could actually be kinda cool. I think every night was multitracked.

They'd probably do it for the albums themselves but can only find the stereo masters right now.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

For me, the Doors were closed at 12-12-70...

Better bring out some 'with-Jim' concerts.
JerryGarcia

Post by JerryGarcia »

I'm a huge fan of the post Morrison Doors material. I don't know why some people don't like it but I think songs like Ships With Sails, Piano Bird and Verdilac are up there with anything they ever recorded. I was delighted when the Golden Scarab was released on CD a few years back and if there was a box set with Full Circle, Other Voices and a few rarities/photos then I'd be first in line to buy it.
_Devoid_

Post by _Devoid_ »

Hugo wrote:For me, the Doors were closed at 12-12-70...

I completely agree with you sir
JerryGarcia

Post by JerryGarcia »

It wouldn't be hard to put together a package of OV/FC as well as working on other projects at the same time. The average Doors fan doesn't even know of the existance of these albums so I'm pretty sure it would be a nice surprise for many.

I know there are a lot of Jim Morrison fans who don't like the other material but it's a part of the history of the Doors and deserves to at least be recognised as such.
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

JerryGarcia wrote:It wouldn't be hard to put together a package of OV/FC as well as working on other projects at the same time. The average Doors fan doesn't even know of the existance of these albums so I'm pretty sure it would be a nice surprise for many.

I know there are a lot of Jim Morrison fans who don't like the other material but it's a part of the history of the Doors and deserves to at least be recognised as such.
Well, as long as it didn't have a negative effect on any potential release with Jim, then I wouldn't mind. However, say for example the Matrix set gets postponed so they can put out OV/FC, that would piss me off.
Last edited by jdlaw on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

well as much as i want these two albums to be released, i don't think that could ever happen in a short period of time, Ray as we known has a big mouth,

tnx for posting Roughie
Carnival dog
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Plus John Densmore will probably do anything
in his power to stop a release. Cause like he always says, only the 4 of us are The Doors! :wink:
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

yeah, I doubt we'll see a release soon.

As well as Ray talking about it (and boy you're right, he loves to talk), Robby has said he is proud of those albums. As for John? TheFreed is probably right. Plus if Ray wants something John might be inclined to say no lol!

Whilst the albums may not be to the standard of the JM era, the musicianship is still all class (even if the lyrics often aren't) and there are some great tracks on there. Tightrope Ride, Ships with Sails, The Mosquito (which is the only track off these albums to be released on CD - on one of many best ofs) Get Up and Dance, are probably the pick of the litter. I could go on and review the albums but that's not what this thread is for.

I like these albums and feel they should be released. I also like the idea of them being released with a post JM concert. Rays idea of remixing them is interesting... but not sure if that's needed. Hell, release them once then only available on itunes!

After saying all of that I will now kinda contradict myself and say I would prefer a JM era release. I would love another kind of essential rarities album with studio outtakes, unreleased studio versions of songs we only have live versions of currently and maybe some spoken poetry by Jim.

LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

Post by LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE »

Ray's thinking about getting various singers to make new mixes out of the OV/FC material? His idea sounds like a sequel to STONED IMMACULATE.
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

_Devoid_ wrote:
Hugo wrote:For me, the Doors were closed at 12-12-70...

I completely agree with you sir
Very much agreed.

Ed makes a great point too. What if John will try to block a release?
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

an official realese of "other voices" and "full circle" won't be stoped by john d., unless the others try to change the masters....this is something in the works for some time i think...
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

lovemygirl wrote:an official realese of "other voices" and "full circle" won't be stoped by john d., unless the others try to change the masters....this is something in the works for some time i think...
A very long time! lol

The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

well, fuck jeff jampol!
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

The Royal Sperm wrote:well, fuck jeff jampol!
:shock:
Carnival dog
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

lovemygirl wrote:an official realese of "other voices" and "full circle" won't be stoped by john d., unless the others try to change the masters....this is something in the works for some time i think...
The "relationship" between Ray and Robby and John seems to be at an even more ultimate low then I thought. With John's book coming out etc.
If the two albums will get an official release, it problaby will take an even longer time then it allready does maybe.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

I don't think Densmore has spoken out against the release of OV and FC. His quarrels are more with Ray and Robby touring.
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

i agree i think Densmore wouldnt mind
Carnival dog
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

In this artilcle, Robby says that they will be released by the end of the year. http://www.goldminemag.com/article/the- ... solo-album

Mouseofzen

Post by Mouseofzen »

Roughie wrote:In this artilcle, Robby says that they will be released by the end of the year. http://www.goldminemag.com/article/the- ... solo-album
Just a few days left for these albums out this year lol
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Mouseofzen wrote:
Roughie wrote:In this artilcle, Robby says that they will be released by the end of the year. http://www.goldminemag.com/article/the- ... solo-album
Just a few days left for these albums out this year lol
Yes well we all knew it was BS!

Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

They aren't worth releasing offficially anyway. They're not going to release them, because they aren't marketable. Even many of the hardcore fans aren't interested in owning them. If some hardcore fans aren't interested in owning them, how can they expect the casual, a large percentage of their market, to be interested? It's a business. They want to release albums that will be profitable. Those albums are not profitable, not by a long shot. They would lose money releasing those albums. They never should have released those albums as The Doors anyway. As Ray said, they should have called themselves Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore.
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

Encuentro wrote:They aren't worth releasing offficially anyway. They're not going to release them, because they aren't marketable. Even many of the hardcore fans aren't interested in owning them. If some hardcore fans aren't interested in owning them, how can they expect the casual, a large percentage of their market, to be interested? It's a business. They want to release albums that will be profitable. Those albums are not profitable, not by a long shot. They would lose money releasing those albums. They never should have released those albums as The Doors anyway. As Ray said, they should have called themselves Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore.
i ve heard many of the guys here would like to have those albums, i for one would LOVE to have those...
Carnival dog
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Well I'd get them.

Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

desertlizard wrote:
Encuentro wrote:They aren't worth releasing offficially anyway. They're not going to release them, because they aren't marketable. Even many of the hardcore fans aren't interested in owning them. If some hardcore fans aren't interested in owning them, how can they expect the casual, a large percentage of their market, to be interested? It's a business. They want to release albums that will be profitable. Those albums are not profitable, not by a long shot. They would lose money releasing those albums. They never should have released those albums as The Doors anyway. As Ray said, they should have called themselves Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore.
i ve heard many of the guys here would like to have those albums, i for one would LOVE to have those...
When I said many, I didn't mean all. I know that many hardcore fans would like to have them. However, the fact that even some hardcore fans aren't interested in owning them, at least not before The Doors do everything within their power to acquire and release as many Morrison-era shows and outtakes as possible, doesn't speak highly of OV and FC. I own them on 1 CD, the Russian import version. OV is OK, but FC is horrible. They are available, just not officially. The fact that these 2 albums have not been officially released on CD speaks volumes on how The Doors themselves feel about them, at least from a marketing standpoint. They barely even acknowledge them. They released The Complete Studio Recordings without OV and FC.
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

ya i know they are available out there, but not officialy as you said, and we ll never get to see them officialy released unfortunately... shame
Carnival dog
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Cool down people. Just wait for the official downloads...
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

I got rid of my vinyl copies years ago. If I'm ever in the mood for a cringe-worthy laugh, I can always go to youtube and stream the tracks. Can't imagine I would ever obtain them again, whether it be a physical copy or through official download.
MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

I'd be interested in hearing a single cd of instrumental versions of songs from those 2 albums. Strip the singing.

If the studio multitracks don't show up, use vintage live multitracks. I think I remember reading they have every live show as a trio recorded(multi'd?). Might have been a Vince quote form this forum.