How about an 'Other Voices era Doors concert release on BMR?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

midnightx wrote:I got rid of my vinyl copies years ago. If I'm ever in the mood for a cringe-worthy laugh, I can always go to youtube and stream the tracks. Can't imagine I would ever obtain them again, whether it be a physical copy or through official download.
Wandering Musician, and Peking King... yes these songs are awful, and actually pretty embarrassing. But Piano Bird, and Ships with Sails. Those songs are good.

Densmore wrote Piano Bird with Jack Conrad? Pretty cool.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

mystery_train67 wrote:
midnightx wrote:I got rid of my vinyl copies years ago. If I'm ever in the mood for a cringe-worthy laugh, I can always go to youtube and stream the tracks. Can't imagine I would ever obtain them again, whether it be a physical copy or through official download.
Wandering Musician, and Peking King... yes these songs are awful, and actually pretty embarrassing. But Piano Bird, and Ships with Sails. Those songs are good.

Tightrope Ride is killer, as is the Mosquito (after the intro)
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
mystery_train67

Roughie wrote:
mystery_train67 wrote:

Tightrope Ride is killer, as is the Mosquito (after the intro)
Agreed.
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

wandering musician its an excellent track
Carnival dog
nelson8874

Post by nelson8874 »

The only track i really like from the two albums is tightrope ride. That one is REALLY a killer. The other ones, well.... Its the seventees.... (in a general point of view, i don´t like the seventees music sound).
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

This song is a masterpiece!
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Silver Forest wrote:This song is a masterpiece!
That's a cool picture. Did you put that together?

Did Ray write the lyrics? If so, he did a good job considering that he had never written any lyrics for the Morrison-era songs. I wonder if they rehearsed the music for this song with Jim.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Thanks. I enjoy to do it.
I don't know if Ray wrote "Ships with Sails". I think I read that Ray wrote "Tightrope ride", expressing his anger/dissapointment about Jim. It makes sense he wrote it (at least in collaboration with Robby) because although Robby wrote some great songs from '66 to '71, I don't see him writing "Tightrope ride" or particularly "In the eye of the sun" :lol: . So, most likely Ray started to wrote lyrics in this time period.
For me, these three songs are the best ones from the post Morrison period. "Ships with Sails" is a personal favourite and I have no doubts, if I had to choose, say the 20 Doors songs to take to an isolated island, "Ships with Sails" would be included it. It's a masterpiece, a captivating melody. It's not perfect because Jim's voice is not there, but everything in the song calls for Jim's memory. This was the song that convinced me that if those 3 guys had the luck to find another great singer, they probably would had continue to play as a band (although not as The Doors) for a lot more years.
I have this opinion the "Other Voices" is still a Doors album. It's a nice work, lacking Jim's genious. "Full Circle" is vinyl thrash.

I never heard about Jim singing an early version of "Ships with Sails". I heard about the possibility of him singing early versions of "Down on the far" and "I'm horny I'm stoned", songs already written an the time of the L.A. Woman sessions. Supposedly, Jim didn't like these songs but anyway this is one of the great mysteries and an an attractive possibility thinking in a future L.A. Woman outtakes album.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

I'd prefer to see a reissue of The Butts Band material before these two post-Morrison monstrosities.
fpicks

Post by fpicks »

midnightx wrote:I'd prefer to see a reissue of The Butts Band material before these two post-Morrison monstrosities.
Now youre talking! Some of Robby's best solos are on those Butts songs.

I love Wont be Alone Anymore
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Other Voices credits Manzarek, Kreiger and Densmore as writers of all the songs. But as we know with the Doors, that doesn't mean they all wrote the lyrics.

Chris M

Post by Chris M »

Silver Forest wrote: I heard about the possibility of him singing early versions of "Down on the farm" and "I'm horny I'm stoned", songs already written an the time of the L.A. Woman sessions..
Not just written but recorded as well. Owing to Jerry Scheff playing bass on "Down On The Farm", "I'm Horny, I'm Stoned" and "Wandering Musician" we can deduce the basic tracks for those 3 songs were recorded during the LAW sessions proper.

In my opinion it's likely most of the album was in the can before Jim died. Tightrope Ride might be an exception.

Someone should write an article for Mojo or Uncut that covers this strange and under reported period of Doors history.
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

Post by LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE »

i see there's a new boot of OV/FC. I only wish it would be legit, but nope. w/ 3 bonus tracks. There's no way all can be on 1 disc:http://cgi.ebay.com/DOORS-Other-Voices- ... 51985e80d2
MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

There are some new 87-90 minute cds now on the market that play on most players except older models.
mystery_train67

Piano Bird is a good song. I rate that almost as high as anything they did as The Doors with Morrison. I mean, it's not a very Doorsy Doors song, but it is a damn nice bit of music. It's got a good chill out vibe.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

mystery_train67 wrote:Piano Bird is a good song. I rate that almost as high as anything they did as The Doors with Morrison. I mean, it's not a very Doorsy Doors song, but it is a damn nice bit of music. It's got a good chill out vibe.
That's how I listen to those albums, that it isn't the Doors, when you think of it that way, they sound better. There are still some Doorsy songs on there though.

Also looks like OV/FC will never get released at this current rate of releases. Maybe next decade?

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Chris M wrote:
Silver Forest wrote: I heard about the possibility of him singing early versions of "Down on the farm" and "I'm horny I'm stoned", songs already written an the time of the L.A. Woman sessions..
Not just written but recorded as well. Owing to Jerry Scheff playing bass on "Down On The Farm", "I'm Horny, I'm Stoned" and "Wandering Musician" we can deduce the basic tracks for those 3 songs were recorded during the LAW sessions proper.

In my opinion it's likely most of the album was in the can before Jim died. Tightrope Ride might be an exception.

Someone should write an article for Mojo or Uncut that covers this strange and under reported period of Doors history.
Isn't it possible that Jerry was brought back into a post-Morrison session after LAW? Being that they were happy with his work, it would seem logical that they would give him a call to see if he was available to lay down some additional bass tracks.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Roughie wrote:
mystery_train67 wrote:Piano Bird is a good song. I rate that almost as high as anything they did as The Doors with Morrison. I mean, it's not a very Doorsy Doors song, but it is a damn nice bit of music. It's got a good chill out vibe.
That's how I listen to those albums, that it isn't the Doors, when you think of it that way, they sound better. There are still some Doorsy songs on there though.

Also looks like OV/FC will never get released at this current rate of releases. Maybe next decade?
With CDs on their way out, it's doubtful that they will ever be officially released on CD. They may be released as a digital download.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Encuentro wrote:
Roughie wrote:

With CDs on their way out, it's doubtful that they will ever be officially released on CD. They may be released as a digital download.
I don't think CD's will ever be completely gone, at least not for a long time. Look at vinyl, it's making a bit of a comeback. I think even for downloads it is going to be a long wait for these two albums.

Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Roughie wrote:
Encuentro wrote:
Roughie wrote: That's how I listen to those albums, that it isn't the Doors, when you think of it that way, they sound better. There are still some Doorsy songs on there though.

I don't think CD's will ever be completely gone, at least not for a long time. Look at vinyl, it's making a bit of a comeback. I think even for downloads it is going to be a long wait for these two albums.
I think you're right, but CDs are beginning to take a backseat to digital downloads just as vinyl took a backseat to CDs.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Encuentro wrote:
Roughie wrote:
Encuentro wrote: With CDs on their way out, it's doubtful that they will ever be officially released on CD. They may be released as a digital download.
I think you're right, but CDs are beginning to take a backseat to digital downloads just as vinyl took a backseat to CDs.
For sure. =)

StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Here is an interesting cd I picked up on Ebay:

Not an 'official' Doors release, but more of a pirated release- something the Doors should release; both post-Jim albums on one disc. They should also release 'Treetrunk', and on the 2nd disc have the Beat Club & other filmed tv performances from '72
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

I have the russian one that is on Kerrys site.

StrangeNightOfStone

Roughie wrote:I have the russian one that is on Kerrys site.

I think the above cd is that very one
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:
Roughie wrote:I have the russian one that is on Kerrys site.

I think the above cd is that very one
Different cover. The one seen here...

http://camaradeeco.blogspot.com/2009/04 ... oices.html

wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I was told Bruce recorded the entire OV tour. There's a couple decent shows from that tour but sadly The Doors don't seem to recognize that era.

I remember having a conversation at The Doors office with co-manager Cory about the OV and FC albums. He kept saying, "they're not Doors albums".
StrangeNightOfStone

wha happened wrote:I was told Bruce recorded the entire OV tour. There's a couple decent shows from that tour but sadly The Doors don't seem to recognize that era.

I remember having a conversation at The Doors office with co-manager Cory about the OV and FC albums. He kept saying, "they're not Doors albums".

Then why was Other Voices and Full Circle and the related tours originally marketed as 'The Doors'? Whether they like it or not, Other Voices and Full Circle (an American Prayer) are all Doors albums
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

wha happened wrote:I was told Bruce recorded the entire OV tour. There's a couple decent shows from that tour but sadly The Doors don't seem to recognize that era.
Do you think the band still has those shows in their archives?
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

midnightx wrote:
I bet they do. One day they will "find" them!

John Ryder

Post by John Ryder »

I don't think they do...I heard Ray say one time they didn't have the masters to OV & FC!! Jack Conrad told me he had a emergency 2 track reel to reel of OV and I told him about what Ray said, Jack told me later on he turned it over to Ray & Bruce to be baked and digitized, this was back in 2005 I believe haven't heard anything about them since.
midnightx wrote: