Favorite Movies-go to new thread please! This is broken

Introduce yourself to the forum or just get something off your chest in this off-topic area.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

Trans-Europ Express a French/Belgian movie from 1966.

If you're in to old movies with a kind of cult flavor this is great to watch.

Image Image Image

jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Black comedy with visual effects........Con Air

A lot of quotable lines!! :lol:

"Don't-- treat-- women-- like --that."

"Make a Move and the bunny gets it".
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

Beetlejuice. Anyone remember that one? Great for a laugh. :lol:
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

MistyJm wrote:Beetlejuice. Anyone remember that one? Great for a laugh. :lol:
Love it!!! It was just on today....DirecTV movie.... :lol:

Come on...just say it!! BEETLE JUICE!!!

:mrgreen:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

jamestkirk wrote:
MistyJm wrote:Beetlejuice. Anyone remember that one? Great for a laugh. :lol:
Love it!!! It was just on today....DirecTV movie.... :lol:

Come on...just say it!! BEETLE JUICE!!!

Another Beetlejuice lover. say it. :lol:

It was on tv today in the US? :-o Lucky you. :D
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

Beetle Juice, Beetle Juice, Beetle Juice !!!

oops ... heres he comes ...
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

...."nice fuck'n model...honk honk..." ...lol....great movie
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

Just got back from seeing Bruno with some friends. Not as outrageously funny as Borat but more shocking, in my opinion. Anyone else here seen it yet?
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
Eni

Post by Eni »

^ Haven't seen that. Love some of Sascha's work though.

Anyone here like Grace Kelly? Saw some of 'Rear Window' yesterday. Couldn't watch it all cuz I had an appointment. She's quite captivating in it. I hear she was Hitchcock's favourite actress, and I'm not surprised.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Eni wrote:^ Haven't seen that. Love some of Sascha's work though.

Anyone here like Grace Kelly? Saw some of 'Rear Window' yesterday. Couldn't watch it all cuz I had an appointment. She's quite captivating in it. I hear she was Hitchcock's favourite actress, and I'm not surprised.
A beautiful and great actress. I love that movie, too.... and I just saw "To Catch A Thief" with Grace and Cary Grant
(again! :wink:).....another great Hitchcock classic.

BTW...Turner Classics is showcasing an individual star each day/all day during August...last weekend it was Cary Grant when I tuned in.

-Aldous Huxley
Eni

Post by Eni »

jamestkirk wrote:A beautiful and great actress. I love that movie, too.... and I just saw "To Catch A Thief" with Grace and Cary Grant
(again! :wink:).....another great Hitchcock classic.

BTW...Turner Classics is showcasing an individual star each day/all day during August...last weekend it was Cary Grant when I tuned in.
Yeah, she's really something. I haven't seen much of her in her movies yet though, I've only seen her in some of 'Rear Window.' And that was enough to make me a fan, haha.

Is 'To Catch a Thief' a Hitchcock one too? Love Hitchcock... I shall catch that one at some point.

Are they? I dunno if it's the same for TCM here in the U.K.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Dial M for Murder is another good Hitchcock film with her in it.

Have you seen Shadow of a Doubt yet?
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

jim4371 wrote:Dial M for Murder is another good Hitchcock film with her in it.

Great movie,Chris!

"Shadow Of A Doubt" is Hitchcock at his underestated BEST. Joseph Cotton is so GOOD at being BAD!

Thanks for bringing up that one. I think my early favorites are "The 39 Steps" and "The Lady Vanishes".

Speaking of GREAT thrillers ....how about Frtitz Lang's greatest ( his personal favorite)... "M"!! I love Peter Lorre in everything he acted in. From "M" to "The Maltese Falcon" to "The Raven"....always giving his role a unique flavor!

-Aldous Huxley
Eni

Post by Eni »

jim4371 wrote:Dial M for Murder is another good Hitchcock film with her in it.

Is it? Ah, thanks for the info guys:D :D

Nope, I haven't seen that one. Does it have her in it? Did you like it?

Have you seen 'The Birds.' I know that it doesn't feature Grace, but I liked that one. It's pretty good... He really is the master of suspense. I remember you saying that you didn't like 'Psycho' which is another one of his really popular ones I believe. I really liked that, the creepy and mysterious atmosphere in it is amazing... There's about 15 mins of it that I haven't seen though. I'm confused by it's ending kind of, haha.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Joseph Cotten is great, and M is spectacular. I wrote an analysis of it for a film class (I'd seen it before that, though).

Shadow of a Doubt has Teresa Wright as the female lead. She was also quite pretty and a good actress :)

The Birds is probably the first Hitchcock film I ever saw, and it was OK.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Be sure to read all the above Hitchcock Posts above all!!! But my speaking of "M" brought me to the other movie to tie for the shortest title...Z.

Has anyone seen this brilliant 1969 French language thriller about a fictional country with a repressive police state regime that rewards lies, punishes truth and where good people are hurt.....

The credits spell out..."Any similarities to actual peoples and events is intentional"

The letter Z is outlawed because it means "He is alive..."
It is actually a true story of repression in Greece (though the country is fictionally named in the movie) about an olympic athlete that became a doctor who spoke out against the government......for that he was murdered. It's about a brave investigator out to find the truth.

It is the only movie that I HAVE EVER BEEN TO after which the whole theatre stood up for a standing ovation! It was very moving. You will have to see it to know why.

After it won two oscars, the academy forced the movie industry to show it in the US, against strong resistance. J. Edgar Hoover of the FBI said that any true American would not pay to see such a movie. Dark suited figures were actually seen at the theatres taking down the license plates of those attending. The Nixon/Hoover era was a SCARY time....life imitates art!

See it as soon as you can.

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

1959's The Mouse That Roared with Peter sellers playing three roles...convincingly. Such a great satire...and that white mouse crawling out of the Q-Bomb is priceless!

Here is a fun clip ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or9C-gt4TpA

-Aldous Huxley
twilla

Post by twilla »

I don't know if you would consider this a classic or not, but
it is a very profound true story of Billy Hayes
life in a Turkish prison
Midnight Express
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUsEd54Vebg&NR=1

the music
the Chase
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akyx5iu_z8Y
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Maybe this should be in youtube thread but this is also all about movies and about the creativity and magic brought by those wizards of special effects!
Image Image

100 Years of Special Effects
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw_8GcFjBog

Soon we will be inside the film.

Inside the dream, button sleep around your body
like a glove. Free now of space and time. Free
to dissolve in the streaming summer
Films are collections of dead pictures which are given artificial insemination

James Douglas Morrison - The Lords
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Any good ones lately?

"Harvey"...this time of year for some reason.

-Aldous Huxley
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

The Bad Seed?

If anyone has seen it.....I watched it when I was younger, much younger. And it was a bit disturbing for the time. Now....eh...not so much.
Eni

Post by Eni »

I got a Hitchcock boxset of 14 films not long ago. So far its pretty good. Today I watched 'Shadow of a Doubt.' Anyone seen that?
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Eni wrote:I got a Hitchcock boxset of 14 films not long ago. So far its pretty good. Today I watched 'Shadow of a Doubt.' Anyone seen that?
Great movie....one of my favorites, eni. I think Chris likes that one too.

>Love the bad seed....she is just SOOO bad. Show it to bad little boys and girls.... :wink:

-Aldous Huxley
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Eni wrote:I got a Hitchcock boxset of 14 films not long ago. So far its pretty good. Today I watched 'Shadow of a Doubt.' Anyone seen that?
:D
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

jamestkirk wrote:
>Love the bad seed....she is just SOOO bad. Show it to bad little boys and girls.... :wink:
ah-- so someone has. :D

The main thing I remember is a scene on the dock...not for sure what happens after that but it's obviously not good.

Then the whole scene where the mom gives her apricot juice with sleeping pills to put her to bed and the little girl goes on about how she loves that juice since it does not need ice........then the mom waits and pulls the trigger (I won't give it ALL away)

That brings me to Mother Dearest....is that the name?
No more wire hangars!!!! :lol:
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

jim4371 wrote:
:D
Love that Harrison Revolver song...what a lyric........

-Aldous Huxley
Eni

Post by Eni »

jamestkirk wrote:Great movie....one of my favorites, eni. I think Chris likes that one too.
Yeah, I remember him saying. Glad you both like it. The plot was kinda unusual, but thats another thing that made it good.

With Hitchcocks films the only problem is that they are hard to follow. Sometimes only kind of hard. At the end of that particular film... Did she not tell her family that the uncle was a murderer to put him to rest in peace? It must have also been to not burst the family's bubble since they took pride in him.

Anyone seen 'Saboteur?' My dad hated it. He says his films are primitive :lol: I wasnt far too fond of that particular one either, wasn't too bad though.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

So, he was a Morrison!
Marion Mitchell Morrison (May 26, 1907 – June 11, 1979),

Remembering those sunday afternooms watching his films on TV. Sweet memories from my young years. :)

Some of his best films:
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

And that final scene from The Searchers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne
An impressive carreer of more than 250 films (apparently being the actor in lead in 142 of those) and amazing collaborations with great directors like Howard Hawks and John Ford.

For sure, he was a man with strong and controversial opinions but he sure left us an image that turn out to be one of the most powerful American icons. America might have a short history (I'm sorry if I'm being unfair with the native American history) but it sure sold (and still sells) very well to the world some of his mythologies. Indian and cowboys. That makes me return to my young years, aaaahh... we were all indians or cowboys on those times! Sweet.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I love his last film...the Shootist... kind of strange knowing he had cancer shooting a film about an aging gunfighter with cancer. A fave.

He was "honored" with a parade at Harvard U by the Harvard Lampoon and as a "joke", I'm sure.... but his informal speech and question and answer session with students quite impressed the crowd...they thought they were getting a old joke to lampoon. What a surprise! He was rather wise and entertaining. An Iowa boy...he was only four when his family moved to California, but we still claim him!!

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I can never decide whether to watch this for Halloween or Christmas.....so I do both!!

Tim Burton's "Nightmare Before Chrismas". Brilliant.

-Aldous Huxley