Another late-era organ anomaly

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jim4371

Another late-era organ anomaly

Post by jim4371 »

Not that anyone would ever be able to tell from the audience recording, but a new photo from the Aug. 1970 show in San Diego shows Ray used a Vox.
vince

Post by vince »

That is not Ray's organ. If it was you would see the piano bass on the left corner - it is absent. This organ in the picture in on stage but it does not show Ray playing it.

Ray used a Gibson Kalamazoo until they changed styles in 1971. Ray then had a custom build Hammond B-3 made very portable.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

This is obviously a pic of them playing live though. And yeah, Ray didn't make the fit into the pic, but I'm sure that's his keyboard for that night. You wouldn't have allowed whatever band that opened for them to leave their keyboard on the stage, right?! Unfortunately I don't have the San Diego recording from that night anymore to see if I notice a Vox being played, but again someone can be more than willing to post a clip. But be warned, it's the worst sounding audience recording of The Doors. You will need headphones!
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

vince wrote:That is not Ray's organ. If it was you would see the piano bass on the left corner - it is absent. This organ in the picture in on stage but it does not show Ray playing it.
Sorry Vince - it is.
Starting from the bottom, you can see the black side of the Vox, then the red top of the Vox, then the dark brown trim of the Piano Bass, and the gold top of the Piano Bass.
manuel08

Post by manuel08 »

many thanks for pics!!