Stockholm 68 - who owns it?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

hardrockcafe

Stockholm 68 - who owns it?

Post by hardrockcafe »

Anyone know who currently owns the 2 Stockholm 68 shows? Does Swedish radio have these or are they in private hands?

Has Jampol been provided the contact info for these shows? What price are they asking?

Anything we can do to poke Jampol to purchase these for an official BMA release?

This is a really unique show due to professional live recordings of rarities like Wild Child, Love Street and You're Lost Little Girl.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

you cant poke jampol to do anything nor the doors
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I thought these would be the easiest for Jeff to obtain. When Jeff said the next BMA release was a surprise, I actually thought it would be these shows and not the Matrix. I gave Jeff master clone dubs in '04 and he said the shows were great. I told him where to go, but it doesn't look like he tried or worked out a deal yet, otherwise he wouldn't dodge that question everytime.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

wha happened wrote:I thought these would be the easiest for Jeff to obtain. When Jeff said the next BMA release was a surprise, I actually thought it would be these shows and not the Matrix. I gave Jeff master clone dubs in '04 and he said the shows were great. I told him where to go, but it doesn't look like he tried or worked out a deal yet, otherwise he wouldn't dodge that question everytime.
Perplexing. Seems like there is a value proposition here - this could be a compelling commercial release. And after 4 years, Jeff has not acquired this or any other live shows?

Stockholm is pro-recorded stereo, contains live rarities and finds the band at a near peak.

Any idea why Jampol doesn't seem to being going after these pro-recorded live shows?
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

wha happened wrote:Image
Agreed. That explains everything.
doorman

Post by doorman »

Can anyone confirm whether these shows were filmed or not?, have any of the band members spoken about cameras rolling?
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

doorman wrote:Can anyone confirm whether these shows were filmed or not?, have any of the band members spoken about cameras rolling?
Doubt it.
doorman

Post by doorman »

Is there any chance Ray knows more than what we think he does with regards to film/audio?
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

doorman wrote:Is there any chance Ray knows more than what we think he does with regards to film/audio?
See my above post! :)
DalloLama

Stockholm

Post by DalloLama »

These 2 shows were awesome, the band were in fine form here. I especially like You're Lost Little Girl and Mack the Knife.

I wish Jeff would get this show released. Jim's microphone cuts out during WTMO, that's a good excuse for them to not release it (sob).

Would Bruce be able to improve the sound quality at all? It's pretty damn good as is.
dj_vera

Re: Stockholm

Post by dj_vera »

DalloLama wrote:I wish Jeff would get this show released. Jim's microphone cuts out during WTMO, that's a good excuse for them to not release it (sob).

Would Bruce be able to improve the sound quality at all? It's pretty damn good as is.
The vocal glitch on WTMO from the early show is definitely not a reason for them to hold back from getting the masters for this show.

The masters will definitely be a sonic upgrade to the circulating Stockholm bootlegs AND the master clones. The clones are plagued with noise reduction and bad sound dynamics.
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

these performances should get an Official release by The Doors, even though the recordings are circ. ,an Official release would be grand. the whole tour should be released in a Box/Set....
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

The quality of the recordings and sources vary too much for something like that. Plus we're missing a big chunk of recordings from the European tour.
There's a lot of unheard recordings out there, but not everything was recorded.
doorman

Post by doorman »

There are couple of shows from that tour that had great setlists like Stockholm and Roundhouse but probably/maybe were never recorded.
Mr. Hat

Post by Mr. Hat »

Does anybody know if the Doors DID buy Stockholm? Didn't Jeff say a while back Bruce was working on the possibilty of releasing this? If so, wouldn't they have to buy the masters first???? All Matrix jokes can go here I guess.
MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

Mr. Hat wrote:Does anybody know if the Doors DID buy Stockholm? Didn't Jeff say a while back Bruce was working on the possibilty of releasing this? If so, wouldn't they have to buy the masters first???? All Matrix jokes can go here I guess.
Jampol/Ray/Doors will buy it only if they know they will be sued if they don't.
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

wha happened wrote:Image

What is the message that Doors sneakers convey?
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
StrangeNightOfStone

dj_vera wrote:
DalloLama wrote:I wish Jeff would get this show released. Jim's microphone cuts out during WTMO, that's a good excuse for them to not release it (sob).

The vocal glitch on WTMO from the early show is definitely not a reason for them to hold back from getting the masters for this show.

The masters will definitely be a sonic upgrade to the circulating Stockholm bootlegs AND the master clones. The clones are plagued with noise reduction and bad sound dynamics.

The Stockholm shows were superb- highlights include the only known live version of 'Love Street', a unique 'Mack the Knife'/'Alabama Song'/'Backdoor Man' medley, and a breathtaking version of The End...

If only Jim's vocals weren't so faint....
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:
dj_vera wrote:

The Stockholm shows were superb- highlights include the only known live version of 'Love Street', a unique 'Mack the Knife'/'Alabama Song'/'Backdoor Man' medley, and a breathtaking version of The End...

If only Jim's vocals weren't so faint....
Modern technology can take care of that, maybe even with WTMO from the first show. His microphone cuts out, but you can just barely hear him singing in the background. Maybe they can find a way to bring his vocal up. There's not much they can do about the missing section. They would have to either cut and paste it from another show or leave it as is.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

I'm not sure there's any saving WTMO. The vocals we can faintly hear are probably coming from the other mics recording the show and there's no way to boost the vocals without also boosting the music. So you're always chasing your tail in that respect.

If there's a release in the future, I hope they keep both shows intact and not edit them into one disc by removing the repeated songs. I have a feeling, after the Matrix fiasco, they would be more careful about issuing incomplete shows.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

If this is a direct to stereo recording (no multitracks with isolated vocal) then the WTMO vocal is not capable of being restored in a transparent manner. Perhaps they can improve it, but not by that much.

Just release it warts and all and stick an asterisk on the back cover by WTMO* saying: "Jim's mic cut out during the first version of WTMO due to technical problems. We have attempted to restore the vocal as best as possible and have included the track herein for historical completeness."
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

hardrockcafe wrote:Just release it warts and all and stick an asterisk on the back cover by WTMO saying: "Jim's mic cuts out during this track. We have attempted to restore the vocal as best as possible and have included the track for historical completeness."
I did not remember how faint it was-- so I gave it a listen to jog my memory. It is blatantly apparent, I guess it helps when you know what he is saying though?? ......but for a release, I am just fine with it as is. Small price to pay imo.

I agree with hardrockcafe, and I would guess I am probably speaking for more than just myself, as I think that most would be just fine with that--- leave it as is and stick an asterisk on the track.
StrangeNightOfStone

Lauren wrote:
hardrockcafe wrote:Just release it warts and all and stick an asterisk on the back cover by WTMO saying: "Jim's mic cuts out during this track. We have attempted to restore the vocal as best as possible and have included the track for historical completeness."
I did not remember how faint it was-- so I gave it a listen to jog my memory. It is blatantly apparent, I guess it helps when you know what he is saying though?? ......but for a release, I am just fine with it as is. Small price to pay imo.

I agree with hardrockcafe, and I would guess I am probably speaking for more than just myself, as I think that most would be just fine with that--- leave it as is and stick an asterisk on the track.

During which Stockholm tracks was the sound at it's best? If I remember correctly- 'Five To One' and LMF seemed to have the clearest vocals...
'Love Street ' started off with faint vocals, then Jim came in clearly...
'Wild child' was a bit faint...
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:'Wild child' was a bit faint...
No question it could use a better mix, but the vocals are pretty clear on the master clone (pre-FM) source: http://www.sendspace.com/file/wu7u23
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

I think Wild Child's vocals were clear

Love Street does start with an echo like sound-- just for the music intro then first line "She lives on love street"-- then it all sounds clear....just as clear as LMF or Five to One
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

This 68 show is really good. Jim hasn't yet become jaded with Light My Fire. His voice is also healthier sounding than the "physical decline period" 1970 recordings.

So what tape speed was Stockholm recorded at? 15 ips? Mixed live to stereo 1/4" by the radio station? Or multitrack recording?

Regarding the circulating audio, is it known how far removed from the master tape we are? And is it sourced from a master tape, or is it from an off the air recording made by a radio listener? Any details?

Sounds like someone along the way intentionally "watermarked" the circulating audio with hard limiting/compression. Is the treble like distortion on Jim's vocal here and there a watermark to purposely degrade the audio or is it actually that way on the master source tape?
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Also, does the master tape reside in the possession of the radio station or are the tapes in private hands?
hardrockcafe

Re: Stockholm 68 - who owns it?

Post by hardrockcafe »

Shame this wasn’t bundled with the WFTS 50th...
wha happened

Re: Stockholm 68 - who owns it?

Post by wha happened »

There could have been a nice Euro 68 box set for the 50th. Stockholm, Copenhagen concert and TV audio, Doors Are Open audio.