Quotes

Introduce yourself to the forum or just get something off your chest in this off-topic area.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Enya

Post by Enya »

My teenage neece gave me two interesting quotes. First one is from a poem, she learned in school

"Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire"

The second one she has on her T-Shirt

I love my attitude problem. :lol:
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

From Arthur Lee.....

I COULDN'T STAND JANIS JOPLIN'S VOICE.....SHE WAS JUST A SCREAMING LOUDMOUTHED LITTLE CHICK.

Arthur knew what he liked....of course Janis was at the total opposite end of the music spectrum from LoVE. Not that Arthur didn't love all genres of music from blues to jazz, just not Janis.

:wink:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

"My father was an exhaust manifold and my mother
was a tree."
-Tom Waits"

"The other day, I overheard my older kids talking to my
younger boy and they were saying "don't ever, don't EVER
ask Dad to help you with your homework."
They said I made up a war once.
-Tom Waits

:mrgreen:

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

jamestkirk wrote:From Arthur Lee.....

I COULDN'T STAND JANIS JOPLIN'S VOICE.....SHE WAS JUST A SCREAMING LOUDMOUTHED LITTLE CHICK.

Arthur knew what he liked....of course Janis was at the total opposite end of the music spectrum from LoVE. Not that Arthur didn't love all genres of music from blues to jazz, just not Janis.

Arthur didn't like Janis? :shock: I don't know why, but I am amazed about that. Didn't know and expect that.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

MistyJm wrote:

Arthur didn't like Janis? :shock: I don't know why, but I am amazed about that. Didn't know and expect that.
Janis even opened for Love and stayed at his house, but unless you were into her style, a number of her peers just thought she screeched on stage. It was during a Janis concert in SF that Love were in the audience talking to a Vietnam vet about his experiences over there. Johnny Echols related how the guy was this close to losing it, but at the same time was fascinating to listen to. The rest of Love just heard a troubled vet's stories, but Arthur heard a song and wrote "A House Is Not A Motel". All this while, as Johnny put it, Janis was howling in the background...

Anyway, Arthur's Castle was a "hotel" of sorts for every rock band that came through LA. One never knew who would show up...Jefferson Airplane did, & Janis!....it was a time for sure!

-Aldous Huxley
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

jamestkirk wrote:
MistyJm wrote:

Janis even opened for Love and stayed at his house, but unless you were into her style, a number of her peers just thought she screeched on stage. It was during a Janis concert in SF that Love were in the audience talking to a Vietnam vet about his experiences over there. Johnny Echols related how the guy was this close to losing it, but at the same time was fascinating to listen to. The rest of Love just heard a troubled vet's stories, but Arthur heard a song and wrote "A House Is Not A Motel". All this while, as Johnny put it, Janis was howling in the background...

Anyway, Arthur's Castle was a "hotel" of sorts for every rock band that came through LA. One never knew who would show up...Jefferson Airplane did, & Janis!....it was a time for sure!
Wow what a story Scott. very interesting. Thank you much for sharing.
Such a different time when artist really got together like that.
Also I didn't know Janis opened for Love. Learning a lot!

The part of Janis howling in the background all the time made me laugh. :lol:
Buda

Post by Buda »

Have to tell, thanks for telling this story! I never heard about such aspects regarding Arthur Lee and Janis. I love the tune A House Is Not A Motel. First heard it by Robert Plant in 2002 (being twenty at the time) and immediately got hooked on it. Never would have thought that such a story was behind this.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Now I think of it,can't say for sure if Janis actually OPENED for Love or if Love was just attending a Joplin show between their gigs in SF (which was rare enough...for Love to LEAVE LA.

Do you know, ED?

But there are several references in book's etc to Arthur's dislike of Janis' singing style.....

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/arthur_lee/

-Aldous Huxley
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Wasn't LOVE playing at the Fillmore when they saw Janis? I think I read it in the book somewhere.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

thefreed wrote:Wasn't LOVE playing at the Fillmore when they saw Janis? I think I read it in the book somewhere.
I think you are right...before, or after the Fillmore show they went clubbing and saw Janis.

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Poetry is a very dangerous word.

If you get far enough away you'll be on your way back home.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, that's just God when he's drunk.

-Tom Waits

-Aldous Huxley
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

Thanks. :) I guess I can start a new thread and ask about that radio broadcast.
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out".
-Decca Recording Company rejecting the Beatles 1962

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the World will know peace".
-Jimi Hendrix

Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Frederick Nietzsche

=)

-Aldous Huxley
Buda

Post by Buda »

Alright, I never posted here, so it's time to catch up for the long absence with some adding some more basic truths from one of the other undisputable figures...

Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.
Charles Bukowski

Genius might be the ability to say a profound thing in a simple way.
Charles Bukowski

Humanity, you never had it to begin with.
Charles Bukowski

If you want to know who your friends are, get yourself a jail sentence.
Charles Bukowski

It's possible to love a human being if you don't know them too well.

Charles Bukowski

Joan of Arc had style. Jesus had style.
Charles Bukowski

Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live.
Charles Bukowski

There will always be something to ruin our lives, it all depends on what or which finds us first. We are always ripe and ready to be taken.
Charles Bukowski

We have wasted History like a bunch of drunks shooting dice back in the men's crapper of the local bar.
Charles Bukowski

You begin saving the world by saving one man at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics.

Charles Bukowski
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Nice, buda.
Here are a few from a favorite author of mine....Richard Brautigan...RIP.

I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word "mayonnaise."

Finding is losing something else.
I think about it, perhaps even mourn,
what I lost to find this.

(from--Loading Mercury With A Pitchfork)

Excuse me, I said, I thought you were a trout stream.
I'm not, she said.

(from---Trout Fishing In America)

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

From the Zen Master & firebyrd--Gene Clark...just listen to his music.

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song.

Zen, per se, is not just an art, it's not just a religion, it's a realisation.

--Gene Clark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FimRz1kv ... re=related
Gene's song, "Spanish Guitar"....illustrates this perfectly.
The beautiful BYRD.

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Better to burn out than rust out. --Neil Young

:mrgreen: Rust never sleeps--NY

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

A few of my favorite quotes from Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. and his writings...

Kilgore Trout:

And here, according to Trout, was the reason human beings could not reject ideas because they were bad: “Ideas on Earth were badges on friendship or enmity. Their content did not matter. Friends agreed with friends, in order to express friendliness. Enemies disagreed with enemies, in order to express enmity.

“The ideas Earthlings held didn’t matter for hundreds of thousands of years, since they couldn’t do much about them anyway. Ideas might as well be badges as anything.

“They even had a saying about the futility of ideas: ‘If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.’

“And then Earthlings discovered tools. Suddenly agreeing with friends could be a form of suicide or worse. But agreements went on, not for the sake of common decency or self-preservation, but for friendliness.

“Earthlings went on being friendly, when they should have been thinking instead. And when they built computers to do some thinking for them, they designed them so much for wisdom as for friendliness. So they were doomed. Homicidal beggars could ride.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------

At the end of Cat’s Cradle, as the world is coming to an end, Vonnegut quotes from the Book of Bokonon, "I would write a history of human stupidity, and I would climb to the top of Mount McCabe and lie down on my back with my history for a pillow...and I would make a statue of myself...grinning horribly, and thumbing my nose at You Know Who (CC 231),"

When asked about Jesus Christ, he states, "oh, Him. People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order (CC 140)."

In Slaughterhouse-Five, he summarizes his opinions with the comment; "among the things Billy Pilgrim could not change were the past, the present, and the future (SF 60)."

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

"I rather have a bottle in front of me,
than a frontal lobotomy."

"I was born in the back seat of a Yellow Cab in a hospital loading zone and with the meter still running. I emerged needing a shave and shouted 'Time Square, and step on it!'"

"The large print giveth,
and the small print taketh away"

Tom Waits

:D

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

• What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.
~ Crowfoot, Blackfoot Warrior & Orator

• I am tired of talk that comes to nothing. It makes my heart sick when I remember all the good words and all the broken promises. There has been too much talking by men who had no right to talk.
It does not require many words to speak the truth.
~ Chief Joseph: Nez Perce 1840-1904, Nez Percéé Indian chief

• We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can't speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees.
~ Qwatsinas, Nuxalk Nation

• How smooth must be the language of the whites, when they can make right look like wrong, and wrong like right.
~ Black Hawk, Sauk

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

-Elwood P. Dowd (Harvey)

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

“I will be very careful the next time I fall in love, she told herself. Also, she had made a promise to herself that she intended on keeping. She was never going to go out with another writer: no matter how charming, sensitive, inventive or fun they could be. They weren't worth it in the long run. They were emotionally too expensive and the upkeep was complicated. They were like having a vacuum cleaner around the house that broke all the time and only Einstein could fix it.
She wanted her next lover to be a broom.”

― Richard Brautigan, Sombrero Fallout

-Aldous Huxley