I will respond a bit more to your original question of the Good, The Bad and the Drunk.
You see, I had a special relationship with the 4 guys. I was the technical aspect of their organization. I had one basic Job to do. When things went right, which they did 99.9% of the time, they knew I was there because they could see my ugly face. It was when something went wrong that I became in immediate demand and very prominent.
Not that there were no bloopers along the line. But the guys understood that things do go wrong and it was taken care of. Robbie would break a string or John would put a stick through a drum head. Sure, It bothered them but they were professionals enough to take care of it without raising a fuss. I remember a drumhead incident. After the show John merely said "When the head get a little wrinkled like that - change it" and that was the end of it.
Contrast Siddons. He's just a boy yet and has all the weight of that group on his shoulders. He had a great responsibility. Some of the weekly meetings got hot and heavy, John sometimes got upset and raised his voice. When things did not go well, Bill caught hell. He was the figurehead - hollow though that was - and for all appearances was responsible.
When things went well, as Bill tried to make them, he did not get praised - Because it was his job to make things go well.
Returning to my position, you can see the contrast. the amps could burn to cinders in the studio, we had spares. But on the road everything had to work letter perfect for the show and for the tour. That was a great burden for me and a source of constant worry. When the show was going on it was all roses and heaven. But imagine yourself standing there with one all prevading thought - What If.... And the what if was too horrible to continue thinking about.
I got along well with the guys because I did the job and stayed out of the way. I was the "Oil" on the gears, so to speak. I am sure that had something gone seriously wrong on stage there would have been a day of reconning.
Also consider that when I saw the guys, they were in a relaxed mood. Rehearsals, recording and casual meetings as they came to or from the office or were going on stage. They could ask questions or make special requests that something be done or obtained or such. the tension showed when Jim had been drinking before the show. You could almost taste the anxiety.
Poor Bill was right in frint of the gun barrel and when that went off he took it full force. And there was some really big shots fired on occasion. Again, I don't mean to insinuate that Bill failed, it was that there were incidents when things did not go well and Bill was caught in the line of fire - it did not mean that, each incident taken to view, he did not try to do what he thought was right.
I think that in these times, not back then when there was so much less mystery and the guys were performing with a 4 man band, that we see Ray propagating the mystique of Jim and all that goes with it. Ray wants to make music and he is very good at it. Ray also wants to make money. He repeatedly failed at his individual efforts and so resorted to keeping the legend of the Doors going.
Hey, people, Rock and Roll is a business. These people ultimately play and record to earn money just as I build big musical instruments. There is a time when a band becomes "Succesful". That is when they have their first Gold Album. That is when it goes from fun, playing in Dad's big garage or basement playroom with the neighborhood friends, to being a business. Suddenyl you have "Grown up" and gotten a real job.
Remember also that back then they were all friends. When Jim behaved, they loved him and when things went wrong they were understandably angry. Yes, I saw that side of them. I was standing right there with them. After all, it was My Group as well and my fortunes were directly tied to theirs. Because the guys got upset over some foolish incident brought on by Jim does not make them difficult to get along with and did not in any way influence how they treated me.
Today, Ray may be pouring a little rose colored dye into the water. That is business. When he quietly weeps over Jim dieing in a far off place under strange circumstances - That, my friends, is deeply personal and very private.
There are always two sides to each story and we must separate the conduct of the Doors business and public image from the personal life of each individual; that is private.
Remember that when you said that John was "Testy" I think that there is at least one book that talks about my "Testy" when I didn't get co-operation from assistant hall managers, or union bosses or other petty officials who put trouble in my way. Ask any kid who tried to come up over the front edge of the stage, before, during or after a show. They will define "Testy" for you. If you think John was "Testy" , let me tell you in my own words - You don't know what that word means.... I outdid him 100:1 in spades.
Robby - Robby with the electric hair. I don't know why but it just flashed through my mind - When he came on stage he would usually be night blind. He often had difficulty finding the cord for the Guitar. I used to plug him in and then turn the amp up. When he came up to the amps I used to say "Hi ya Robby" and he would come back... "Hi yah Vince". It was a little ritual, I guess. Robby was one cool dude.
It hurts to think about it Peeps - What in hell went wrong? How did we get to New York when we started out for Boston.
3:36 and counting