Vince, 2nd Part of Tony Funches Interview..........

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Stuart

Vince, 2nd Part of Tony Funches Interview..........

Post by Stuart »

What are your views on what tony says vince?-

http://www.doors.com/magazine/Tony_Funches2.html
vince

Funches interview

Post by vince »

As I have said before, Tony was with Jim a great deal of time. I think and I can be wrong, that the amount of time may be somewhat exaggerated. and the associated "Inside Story" somewhat distorted. If Tony and Jim were so close why did Jim take Leon and Rick to Paris and not Tony.

Tony was not with the group until after Miami 1969. He did not go to England in 1968 not to Hawaii 1968.

The Doors booking was done by two diferent agencies. or directly by some promotors. I do not think Tony was that far into the group to be in on the weekly business meetings. They did not concern Tony and certainly Jim did not need guarding in Bill's office. John, Robby and Ray were protective of the inner working of the group and the decisions they made. They did not feel good about a whole bunch of people sitting in on the meetings.

Once again John is being picked on as the nervous type. John is a nervous guy. ALL drummers are. The more nervous the better they are and John was Very Good. John was NOT the only one expressing concern about the future. We all knew the consequences of a jail term for Jim. Jim was not that cavalier about it either. In fact he was afraid of prison. He was not so cool about it all.

It is said that Jim was a wonderful liberal growing up in a state where race was a factor. Jim did not live in Florida all his life as is common knowledge. He was a military brat and during his childhood the family moved several times. He certainly was the son of an Admiral. He was brought up in the tradition of Naval etiquet, discipline and tradition.

Jim Did Not like black people in general. That was demonstrated by his rage at the incident in New Haven. He did not like the Vietnam War either. However, that does not mean that Jim did not respect or like Tony. Tony was not a faceless mass, He was one person and, as such, could be related to on a more personal basis.
That Jim said he wanted a nigger to carry his bags - I do not believe it. That Tony as his employee picked Jim up and put him against any wall - Regardless, were it me - Tony would have been out of a job at that point.
There is a difference between the spoken word - regardless of how cruel or insensitive - and physical violence.

That Jim knew it would end - Really, and have we forgotten the Rolling Srones, Creme, Velvet Underground and many other bands of that period that are still performinf in the ORIGINAL FORMAT - and lovin it. So when did it have to end. Remember that the group Did Not perform all that frequently. 3 or 4 times in one month. May I ask, What in hell did Jim have to be "Burned Out" about. That is complete bullshit. Just another part of the stupid myth to justify Jims bad behavior.

That is just catering to the myth that Jim was going to quite and so on. He was suffering from delusions if he though he would ever be recognized as a poet any where but in the underground.

In his reply to the question of whether Jim exposed himself in Miami. Tony beat around the bush and finally said, as has everyone else, He Di Not.

I cannot and will not justify or approve all the claims and statements Tony makes. I was not there. I can only factually speak of the times and places where all people were present and then give my report of what may - or may not - have gone on.

I see no reason for Tony not to tell the truth. Perhaps shaded a llittle by time and memory or a little publicity. He has remained silent for many years and does not seem to me to be a publicity hound. There is no doubt he was with Jim for extended period. There is not a shred of doubt that Jim spoke to and with him. There is no reason to discredit anything the Tony may say. Compare his "Stories" to some others who claim to be insiders, and you see a remarkable difference. that alone should speak well of what Tony now related in his interviews.

I can say, that in the times I did work with him, when he was on stage or around when we were working, he never hesitated to help if he daw the need ot opportunity. He was a nice guy, stayed out of my way and was careful around the equipment. Never hasseled any of the Band Boys and always remained unobtrucive until someone jumped on stage and went for either equipment, which the BB generally had covered, or Jim when Tony would intervene - But never rough, always firm.

Am I complimenting him. Well, I guess I have to admit to that. The truth of his stories. As I said, In some cases they are not quite right, in others time has parhaps dulled the accuracy, but overall, I would take his version over several others that have been touted as being true.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors