Should the Hollywood Bowl audio be restored?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Beauvoir

Post by Beauvoir »

Is the audience tape of the Hollywood Bowl show easily found?

I think I need it as a companion to the new official release.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Beauvoir wrote:
Encuentro wrote: Botnick said in the special features that the vocal for HILY was pieced together from various performances, a word here, a word there. This obviously isn't true. The vocal is from the studio version. Was this a mistake or deliberately misleading?
IMO he's lying.
I've rewatched this segment and, to me, I think it's an editing choice that makes it look like Botnick is lying. Because he makes it clear that he wants to be honest with fans and tell them they had to use some audio tricks to recreate Jim's vocal in places and even to recreate the environment of the Bowl so the sound wasn't too dry. To think he would then contradict himself so blatantly by making up where he got the HILY vocal doesn't make sense.

If you watch the bonus feature again, you'll notice everyone starts to talk about re-inserting HILY into the film. Then they cut to Botnick who doesn't mention the song at all and he says Jim's mic cut out so he had to go through several live performances such as Pittsburgh or Philadelphia to find portions that would work. I'm pretty sure he's talking about WTMO at that time not HILY but whoever edited the video didn't think it was an important distinction. Then at the end they show Ray saying they were able to bring the vocals back which is just a complete misunderstanding on his part regarding what Botnick actually did.

I'm blaming whoever made this bonus feature for editing this segment in such a way that it's unclear that Botnick used a studio vocal for HILY. Botnick wouldn't have just made up that he used bits from live performances for that track when he knows they don't have a live version. At least I hope he wouldn't.
Beauvoir

Post by Beauvoir »

Porsche wrote:Then at the end they show Ray saying they were able to bring the vocals back which is just a complete misunderstanding on his part regarding what Botnick actually did.
I noticed Ray saying that as well, showing he's not really aware of what was done in post-production at all!
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Porsche wrote: Because he makes it clear that he wants to be honest with fans and tell them they had to use some audio tricks to recreate Jim's vocal in places and even to recreate the environment of the Bowl so the sound wasn't too dry.
Dry is not necessarily bad. I got the CD and think the reverb approach Botnick used makes this sound a little too wet - it kind of blurs and "fogs" the timbre of voice and instruments.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

Why did they fly in Robbys guitar parts and Rays backing harmonies from the studio cut then? Robby must have played the worst gig of his life at the Bowl, but HILY is a good performance. Plus it just doesn't sound real to me. The only thing which does sound real from that song are the drums, gibson, piano bass, and a couple of little vocals from Jim at the end.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

There are also some Manzarek vocal overdubs. Example - Alabama Song: 1:12 - 1:27. Manzarek's overdubbed vocals are panned hard left.

Botnick's liner notes indicate that Ray and Jim's native vocals were combined on one track of the 8 track tape (instead of separate tracks). Therefore, when Jim's native vocals are panned in the center, and we hear Ray's vocals panned to the side of the stereo image -- there's some Manzarek vocal overdubbin' goin' on!
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Porsche wrote: Anyone catch the audience members requesting "The Soft Parade" after WTMO? Odd, for a show that happened a year before the album was released. Another hidden AL overdub! Hehe.
I just listened to that section and didn't hear it. It's a very short interlude. Could it have been during the intro to Alabama Song? I heard what sounded like someone calling for The Soft Parade, but it wasn't clear.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Evidently Ray was proposing to the rest of the band to rehearse a new and interesting tune they had been developing since the previous week.

:mrgreen:
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Encuentro wrote:
Porsche wrote:Anyone catch the audience members requesting "The Soft Parade" after WTMO? Odd, for a show that happened a year before the album was released. Another hidden AL overdub! Hehe.
I just listened to that section and didn't hear it. It's a very short interlude. Could it have been during the intro to Alabama Song? I heard what sounded like someone calling for The Soft Parade, but it wasn't clear.
Yeah, after WTMO, during the opening of "Alabama Song" a few fans call for "The Soft Parade." You don't hear them in the original video mix.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Porsche wrote:
Encuentro wrote:
Porsche wrote:Anyone catch the audience members requesting "The Soft Parade" after WTMO? Odd, for a show that happened a year before the album was released. Another hidden AL overdub! Hehe.
Yeah, after WTMO, during the opening of "Alabama Song" a few fans call for "The Soft Parade." You don't hear them in the original video mix.
Thanks. Strange that Bruce would dub in audience noise under the intro to Alabama Song.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the audience laughter after the line "Six bachelors and their bride" seems different. It comes in before Jim finishes the word "bride."
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

mystery_train67 wrote:Why did they fly in Robbys guitar parts and Rays backing harmonies from the studio cut then? Robby must have played the worst gig of his life at the Bowl, but HILY is a good performance. Plus it just doesn't sound real to me. The only thing which does sound real from that song are the drums, gibson, piano bass, and a couple of little vocals from Jim at the end.
Yeah, to me, HILY contains a lot more than Morrison's vocals from the studio master. If other "studio instrumentation" is added to the live version of HILY, what is the point of including it at all? The authentic, live feel is not there on that track.
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

posted on facebook:
Fun Fact: In order to restore the lost audio to Jim’s performance on “Hello, I love You” at the Bowl, Bruce Botnick took bits and pieces from other performances and pieced them back together to match the video from the Hollywood Bowl.
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
Buda

Post by Buda »

...and they consider this as a "fun fact". heh
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

But WHY replace the guitar on HILY? It just seems weird
marcelpilman

Post by marcelpilman »

listen to Hello I Love You bootleg Tv Bleeding is the same. I think that what is real is the bowl robby guitar and John drums
Wow,I'm sick of doubout
Live in the light of certain
South
miltonjumbee

Post by miltonjumbee »

The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

indeed, nice observation
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

The Royal Sperm wrote:posted on facebook:
Fun Fact: In order to restore the lost audio to Jim’s performance on “Hello, I love You” at the Bowl, Bruce Botnick took bits and pieces from other performances and pieced them back together to match the video from the Hollywood Bowl.
Reason #999 you shouldn't let the interns run your official Facebook page.

avp2029

Post by avp2029 »

Here's something I made for you all tonight. It only took me about 20 minutes using Audacity. This is how it should have been done for the CD/Blu-ray. See if you notice the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_TjFPYuHcg
"It's still alive inside of me" - Little Steven
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

avp2029 wrote:Here's something I made for you all tonight. It only took me about 20 minutes using Audacity. This is how it should have been done for the CD/Blu-ray. See if you notice the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_TjFPYuHcg
Scream before the guitar break.
Garlon

Post by Garlon »

Good job adding in the scream. You really can't tell that it's even from th audience tape. So it was really a huge fail on their part not to add it in.

There is simply no quality control with their releases. Botnick totally butchered WTMO too.
Where are the recordings we were promised? Where is the music, the new music, dying on the reels?
avp2029

Post by avp2029 »

Let's just say I was able to "re-create and dig out of those tracks Jim Morrison's vocal and you hear it as if you were at the Hollywood Bowl onstage..."
"It's still alive inside of me" - Little Steven
Garlon

Post by Garlon »

If you watch the bonus materials on Live at the Bowl '68, Botnick says how the people who remastered the film footage synched up every frame of film from every angle BEFORE they synched the final audio mix and obviously before they made the final edit of the film. This means it would not have been a significant effort for them to provide us with the multi-angle feature that DVD/Blu Ray supports. They already had the alternate angles synched, so why not put it on the disc?
Where are the recordings we were promised? Where is the music, the new music, dying on the reels?
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Garlon wrote:If you watch the bonus materials on Live at the Bowl '68, Botnick says how the people who remastered the film footage synched up every frame of film from every angle BEFORE they synched the final audio mix and obviously before they made the final edit of the film. This means it would not have been a significant effort for them to provide us with the multi-angle feature that DVD/Blu Ray supports. They already had the alternate angles synched, so why not put it on the disc?
Cause this is The Doors! :/
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
miltonjumbee

Post by miltonjumbee »

We understand better the densmore's fears .
A concert like that ... It was direct in urgence for Jimbo.

Hendrix Live Hollywood Bowl Los Angeles 9/14/68 !!!!

I imagine the show with a swimming pool in front of Morrison.:lol:
Buda

Post by Buda »

That's amazing. Reading this date in his tour log I would have never imagined that it went down like this. What a night that could have been at the Bowl. Is there any recording made there?
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

isnt that kind of dangerous ? i mean you can see cables right in fron of the pool .

On the other hand , taking a bath in a hot day at the hills , watching the hollywood sign , while hearing Hendrix . Priceless
miltonjumbee

Post by miltonjumbee »

Noel Redding started making announcements that he was afraid he’d get electrocuted with his bass if the water brothers didn’t stop splashing. Mitch Mitchell left the drums to offer his towel and a hand up to a few waterlogged waders.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

I was wondering if anyone could rip the bonus feature from the DVD that talks about "restoring" the songs that weren't released originally on the '87 release, particularly the clips of HILY and Texas Radio that have the native audio intact. My DVD player isn't working on my desktop at the moment, otherwise I wouldn't ask. I'd even be ok w/just the audio.
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

just got mine, too bad i dont ve a Bluray system until christmas :mrgreen:
Carnival dog