Should the Hollywood Bowl audio be restored?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

I bought my sticker today.
Image quality is nice.
The complete version of Spanish Caravan is great =)
Paul and his crew didn't shoot as much the audience as they should (in my perspective).
It's a nice release but again I would easily change this with a complete release of Isle of Wight or even better a (if possible) extended and improved version of Roundhouse.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

I agree Silver. I got my sticker that came with a free DVD the other day. I have to say I enjoyed the concert better than watching the old version. I still don't think it is a very exciting show.

I liked the fact that the chambers brothers were interviewed.
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Yes Roughie. A red sticker (not a golden one). The DVD is nice but not exciting. A few new things but basically old stuff. If you balance this with London Fog and Matrix on the shelves...

There's something rotten in the Doors kingdom.

I'm losing hope to get LF for christmas. I would like to buy this goodie to myself :)
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Silver Forest wrote:Yes Roughie. A red sticker (not a golden one). The DVD is nice but not exciting. A few new things but basically old stuff. If you balance this with London Fog and Matrix on the shelves...

I'm losing hope to get LF for christmas. I would like to buy this goodie to myself :)
There is always xmas 2066. The one hundred year anniversary. :twisted:

Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

The HB video release debuted at #1 on the Billboard Music Video Chart which is good news for the propect of future releases. Their relentless advertising on Facebook paid off.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Roughie wrote:
Silver Forest wrote:Yes Roughie. A red sticker (not a golden one). The DVD is nice but not exciting. A few new things but basically old stuff. If you balance this with London Fog and Matrix on the shelves...

Yes. Preceding the xmas 2067. The year we will get Matrix (from the masters).

Hey Roughie, this management has the magic power to makes us agree in 99% of the situations. :lol:
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Encuentro wrote:The HB video release debuted at #1 on the Billboard Music Video Chart which is good news for the propect of future releases. Their relentless advertising on Facebook paid off.
But there is still no way that there would be any market for physical releases and box sets. :/ :twisted:

Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Silver Forest wrote:
Roughie wrote:

Yes. Preceding the xmas 2067. The year we will get Matrix (from the masters).

Hey Roughie, this management has the magic power to makes us agree in 99% of the situations. :lol:
Well we knew they had to have a skill somewhere.

The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

i still don't recieved my sticker yet .... i have ready a 30 x 30 frame for it
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

The Royal Sperm wrote:i still don't recieved my sticker yet .... i have ready a 30 x 30 frame for it

hehe, remember it has to combine with all that red.

With all that red I thought it would smell like strawberries.
Beauvoir

Post by Beauvoir »

DalloLama

Post by DalloLama »

So did anyone go see Live at the Bowl at the cinema?

I did in Sydney, Australia and it was awesome. I hadn't seen the concert for a year or two, it was almost like watching it for the first time.

Before the concert one of the special features was played, a 20 min interview with Ray, Ray, Bruce and the Chambers Brothers.

There were 30 odd people in the cinema and you could hear a pin drop, it was really great seeing the Doors at the cinema.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

DalloLama wrote:So did anyone go see Live at the Bowl at the cinema?

I did in Sydney, Australia and it was awesome. I hadn't seen the concert for a year or two, it was almost like watching it for the first time.

Before the concert one of the special features was played, a 20 min interview with Ray, Ray, Bruce and the Chambers Brothers.

There were 30 odd people in the cinema and you could hear a pin drop, it was really great seeing the Doors at the cinema.
Tried to. Phoned and emailled the cinema where it was ostensibly playing and never heard anything. Wasn't on their website or anything. The date came and passed. The only place I could find any info was on the Doors site. In other words, I am doubtful it actually played here.

desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

i wanted to too, but i couldnt due to job issues, but i guess lucky people right there in Mexico City had a good one
Carnival dog
The Royal Sperm

just got my copy. what a shitty package of the cd ...
www.KatRecords.com
miltonjumbee

Post by miltonjumbee »

Buda

Post by Buda »

Clearly, to me they used too many unimportant shots while they could have used better parts as it shows in this video clip. Not to mention the cropping which at times cuts Jim in half. I decided not to be too sticky with the Doors, I mean the way they produce their releases nowadays as the fuck-ups became so regular that all of them doesn't even count after all, but sadly they blew this one as well. It could have been made much much better with more proper eyes deciding how to switch between the cameras.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

I'm not a huge fan of the jumping camera angles with each "fuck" segueing into the slo-mo "fuck" or the slo-mo drumming during LMF. They should have just dropped the slo-mo shots altogether. Overall, I really enjoyed this release, but it definitely has some flaws, the slo-mo shots in particular. I would've preferred the real-time shot of Jim screaming "NOW" in WTMO to the slo-mo shot that they used. Regarding the angles, this release has some advantages over the previous release. It was cool to see Jim charging the mic at the beginning of WTMO which couldn't be seen on the previous release.
nelson8874

Post by nelson8874 »

Great. It is fantastic to be watching the two videos. Thanx
The Royal Sperm

finally i watched the 135 min aprox of the Live at the Bowl BD, isn't bad at all, i saw good edits and terrible edits, i enjoyed it
www.KatRecords.com
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

...i enjoy it too...its like night and day compared to the origanal release...
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

I'm not a fan of the dips to black between songs. Perhaps seeing as they had to fiddle with so much audio they thought it was easier?

universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

Roughie wrote:I'm not a fan of the dips to black between songs. Perhaps seeing as they had to fiddle with so much audio they thought it was easier?
So they really did that? I wonder who came up with that brilliant idea...

They'd be better off releasing any- and everything from here on out in its raw and untouched form, every single time they try to "enhance" or "improve" on anything it turns to shit. Leave well enough alone... or something like that.
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

Does the CD version fade between songs?
He is the Last Dinosaur!
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

universalmind69 wrote:
Roughie wrote:I'm not a fan of the dips to black between songs. Perhaps seeing as they had to fiddle with so much audio they thought it was easier?
So they really did that? I wonder who came up with that brilliant idea...

They'd be better off releasing any- and everything from here on out in its raw and untouched form, every single time they try to "enhance" or "improve" on anything it turns to shit. Leave well enough alone... or something like that.
maybe the lights went off after each song ? because in the unseen footage between songs where we can see Jim in the dark .

If there was light between songs then i find it really stupid what they did
Buda

Post by Buda »

It could happen what you say Teo, but on every given occasion?
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

They're streaming Live at the Bowl on Facebook followed by a live interactive Q&A with Ray.

"LIVE AT THE BOWL ‘68 will stream on Facebook on December 5 in a groundbreaking event where music history joins with modern technology. Join us for the film followed by a live interactive Q&A with Ray Manzarek here on Facebook. The event starts at 8:30 p.m. EST/5:30 p.m. PST. Details on how to participate here:"
http://apps.facebook.com/thedoorslive/
AK

Post by AK »

Encuentro wrote:They're streaming Live at the Bowl on Facebook followed by a live interactive Q&A with Ray.

"LIVE AT THE BOWL ‘68 will stream on Facebook on December 5 in a groundbreaking event where music history joins with modern technology. Join us for the film followed by a live interactive Q&A with Ray Manzarek here on Facebook. The event starts at 8:30 p.m. EST/5:30 p.m. PST. Details on how to participate here:"
http://apps.facebook.com/thedoorslive/
Ray, how did you and Jim decide to form a band?
DalloLama

Post by DalloLama »

A couple of years ago Ray was interviewed on Australian radio by a guy here called Adam Spencer. The first question he asked:

So Ray is it true you formed the band with Jim on the beach?

FFS!
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Well, it's interactive, so maybe you guys can ask the questions you really want to know the answers to. Am I being a bit naive?