Did Vince like Jim Morrison as a person?

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

StrangeNightOfStone

Did Vince like Jim Morrison as a person?

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

I've been reading some of Vince's older postes on this board- particularly in the Pam thread, where he said the only person Jim loved was Jim-
Vince had some less than positive things to say about Jim's character-and his opinion of Pam seemed to be that she was a junki and a parasite.
I'll agree with that assessment of Pam.

I'm left to wonder- did Vince like Jim, or did he consider him an asshole? Did he consider him a friend, but accepted Jim could be a prick at times?
Or did Vince consider Jim a friend, but was angered and disappointed by Jim's willingness to destroy himself?
His accounts of Jim are strikingly similar to David Crosby's less than flattering critiques of Jim Morrison's character...

Did Jim leave Vince alone and treat him with respect, or were there any times where Jim fucked with Vince, and tried to push his buttons?

Perhaps it's a case where Vince is a realist- and unlike Ray Manzarek, who totally romanticizes Jim's excesses, Vince is more like John Densmore, in presenting truths, no matter how unflattering such truths might be...
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

thefreed wrote:I forwarded your question to Vince and here is his answer:
Thank you so much for forwarding my question to Vince...
Vince's detailed answer addressed and answered so many of my questions.
Thank you, and please convey my thanks to Vince for taking the time to share his memories and to write such a detailed answer.
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

No problem.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
nephron

Post by nephron »

Thanks, Ed! That was great. Man, I miss Vince! One thing that got me laughing my ass off was seeing his 'Pan' again. LOL! Dude still has a problem hitting that m. Hahaha.

I'm just really glad to see that Vince is doing well, and seems to have all the great intelligence and writing skill that he always had.

Thanks again, Ed. My best wishes to Vince.
"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."--Einstein on the death of a friend.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Yes, as always he's still very busy.Maybe if there are more questions I'll just forward it to Vince so he can answer them again and I will post his replies here.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
QueenOfTheHighway1971

Post by QueenOfTheHighway1971 »

Good to read Vince's stories again. I enjoy his honesty, although a lot of people will not always like what they read. Thank you for sharing your memories, Vince!
Buda

Post by Buda »

In my view Vince always stayed Vince. While Salli and all the other cats who were present for a day or two in the life of Doors/Jim, since Jim died, it turned out they were best friends and act like that ever since. Bringing their opinions on the table rather than any clear insight. Vince we need you back. Not because we haven't heard all of your stories (well, for that too) but to bring back your down-to-earth approach and personality.