Other Voices tracks recorded during LA Woman sessions

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Chris M

Other Voices tracks recorded during LA Woman sessions

Post by Chris M »

Anyone have a definitve list of Other Voices tracks that were started during the LA Woman sessions? My guess is that at least "Down On The Farm", "I'm Horny, I'm Stoned" and "Wandering Musician" date from the LA Woman sessions as they feature Jerry Scheff..
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Little bit of extra info
Ray: We rehearsed some of the songs while Jim was in Paris. Jim was in Paris and we were in our rehearsal studio putting songs together and I think if we did any song ... I can't quite remember .... we might have done one of the songs with Jim before he left ... as a matter of fact I think we did ..."Get Up And Dance", yes was one of the songs we did rehearse with Morrison.
Rockmine: Did you not also do "Down On The Farm"?
Ray: Ah, yeah, I think so. Right, I think "Down On The Farm" also ... right. They were just a couple of things that were in a sort of rough state and we just fooled around with them briefly.
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

Cool. Thanks for that. I'm having a hard time hearing Jim sing either Get Up And Dance or Down On The Farm. I can sort of hear him singing Wandering Musician. If any Other Voices tracks or rehearsals exist with Morrison vocals they really should release them. I wonder if they would save those tracks (assuming they exist) for a Other Voices/Full Circle release? That would certainly guarantee a few more sales..
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Same here, they must have been completely different songs at the time(if what Ray says is true)
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Robby once said that Down on the Farm already existed when L.A. Woman was being recorded but Jim didn't want to sing it.
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

MysticHeatedWine wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Robby once said that Down on the Farm already existed when L.A. Woman was being recorded but Jim didn't want to sing it.
I remember hearing something along those lines, not sure what song..
I know when I first heard OV and FC, I remember thinking that one of the things missing along with Jim's vocals was his veto power.
However, that said, I really enjoy some of those tunes..
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

I found what I read, in Chuck Crisafulli's book, Moonlight Drive.
It basically states that Jim had rejected Down On The Farm, refusing to sing it because he felt no connection with it..
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Just imagine Jim's voice to the music of Ships With sails
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:Just imagine Jim's voice to the music of Ships With sails

his 68 voice or his 70 voice?
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

The Royal Sperm wrote:
StrangeNightOfStone wrote:Just imagine Jim's voice to the music of Ships With sails

His 68' voice, in particular his Danish tv voice..
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:
The Royal Sperm wrote:

His 68' voice, in particular his Danish tv voice..
Yeah!
Maybe I'm been unfair but for me the only 2 Post-Morrison tracks that could have fitted Jim's voice were Tightrope Ride (ironically Ray's feelings about Jim at that time) and certainly Ship with Sails.
This last one is surely one of the most beautiful and well played Doors songs. I just can't get tired of listening that music.
SF
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

Post by LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE »

MysticHeatedWine wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Robby once said that Down on the Farm already existed when L.A. Woman was being recorded but Jim didn't want to sing it.
During those early 'LA Woman' studio sessions with Rothchild before he abandoned ship, I wonder if Rothchild heard them do Down On The Farm.
fsfang2

Post by fsfang2 »

I LOVE Ships With Sails .... this is definitely a track I could hear Jim singing. Great music!!!