Love & the Leaves

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jim4371

Love & the Leaves

Post by jim4371 »

Am I the only one that thinks that Seven and Seven Is by Love bears more than a passing resemblance to this rendition of Hey Joe by the Leaves? I'm trying to convince myself that they drew more inspiration from their own version of Hey Joe (the songs are remarkably similar) but comparing them it seems closer to the Leaves version. Am I crazy?
jamestkirk

Re: Love & the Leaves

Post by jamestkirk »

jim4371 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks that Seven and Seven Is by Love bears more than a passing resemblance to this rendition of Hey Joe by the Leaves? I'm trying to convince myself that they drew more inspiration from their own version of Hey Joe (the songs are remarkably similar) but comparing them it seems closer to the Leaves version. Am I crazy?
Love recorded "Hey Joe" in January of 1966 for their first LP and had been performing it as a staple since forming and playing LA clubs since April of 1965.....The Leaves had been around since '63 and recorded their version in Nov. '65, but who influenced who is up for debate. Love influenced everyone and Love's version has a bass line that just rocks the Leaves version off the charts.

Love were the top band....everyone wanted to be like Love.

I love both versions of "Hey Joe", though Love's is my favorite...the Leaves vocal is so raw and great.
And like every other wanna be band in the 60's, my garage band played it--
always!

Jimi Hendrix heard Tim Rose playing a slow version at a show, and Hendrix used Rose's slower version for his "...Experienced" LP.

Oh yeah...is it like "7 & 7 Is"..??....hmmmm, the frenetic pace..yeah....but for me,
"7 & 7 Is" is so far above "Hey Joe" lyrically and as a composition...it's not even close!

Was Arthur influenced on "7 & 7 Is" by the Leaves?, maybe..it was a period of mutual respect and admiration & they all went clubbing to hear each other play when they weren't on stage.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I also hear the closer resemblance to the Leaves' more frenetic version of "Hey Joe". I've owned both of those albums (Da Capo and Hey Joe) for at least 20 years, and hadn't noticed that before. Even the singing style, which Arthur Lee termed "preaching", sounds more similar.

The Leaves' version of "Hey Joe" is my favorite, followed by the Music Machine's slower, moodier version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMuyWDhm3vg
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Agreed, the Music Machine do a nice Hey Joe version.At ifrst it sounds a bit strange but then you realize it's great.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
jim4371

Re: Love & the Leaves

Post by jim4371 »

jamestkirk wrote: Was Arthur influenced on "7 & 7 Is" by the Leaves?, maybe..it was a period of mutual respect and admiration & they all went clubbing to hear each other play when they weren't on stage.
Anyone know if they ever shared a bill?
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Yes they did on Feb 23 1966 at the Whisky A Go Go.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Very cool flyer, never saw that one.Is this from your personal collection?
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I think so too, except that someone didn't know how to spell "chocolate". :lol: Yes, it's from my collection.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Cool.What is the size of the flyer?
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

5-1/2" x 8-1/2". I'll let you know if I see another one. They show up on eBay occasionally.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

BallroomDays67 wrote:I think so too, except that someone didn't know how to spell "chocolate". :lol: Yes, it's from my collection.
That's good to know I am not the only artist that makes those sp errors....

For me, it's called self-editing....I subconsciously edit a letter or two to make
it fit and my mind puts the letter back in when I proof read it...so I
always tell clients, "I'm just the artist not the editor , so you better
Spell-check!"
:lol:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley