Densmore's Drums in 1970

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

mystery_train67

Densmore's Drums in 1970

Post by mystery_train67 »

Vince, can you or anyone else give some insight into the make and model John switched for live concerts in 1970?

The drums can be seen in colour here- he seems to have three toms mounted on a single pole from the bass drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4T3ek44_4w

The drums can also be seen on the BMA Live In Philadelphia and NYC artwork, the IOW and Bakers footage among others, pretty much in any pic or footage with John in it any time in 1970.

He produced such a dull thuddy tone out of these drums, in some recordings the drums sound completely devoid of tone altogether.
I'd like to know what they are and if you ever had trouble getting a good front of house mix?

Maybe I haven't been looking close enough, but sometimes it looks as though the toms weren't all close mic'd.
dj_vera

Re: Densmore's Drums in 1970

Post by dj_vera »

mystery_train67 wrote:Vince, can you or anyone else give some insight into the make and model John switched for live concerts in 1970?

The drums can be seen in colour here- he seems to have three toms mounted on a single pole from the bass drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4T3ek44_4w

The drums can also be seen on the BMA Live In Philadelphia and NYC artwork, the IOW and Bakers footage among others, pretty much in any pic or footage with John in it any time in 1970.

He produced such a dull thuddy tone out of these drums, in some recordings the drums sound completely devoid of tone altogether.
I'd like to know what they are and if you ever had trouble getting a good front of house mix?

Maybe I haven't been looking close enough, but sometimes it looks as though the toms weren't all close mic'd.
Hmmm, I always did think John's drumming in '70 sounded a bit different compared to earlier Doors concerts.