'The Doors: Live In Vancouver' - Nov. 22, 2010

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

jim4371 wrote:Did anyone get the magnet?
I got the FF magnet, AND t shirt. The shirt sucks though, because I don't like the particular cut of american apparel shirt they used.

considered the Vancouver magnet, in fact I don't remember if I did buy it or not.

Why do I feel like I am opening myself up to ridicule by admitting I bought the FF magnet and shirt?

One thing is for certain, they're a DAMN GOOD magnet! Strong as all hell.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Stronger than dirt?
phoenixone

Post by phoenixone »

Complete show is available on musime (free): http://www.musicme.com/The-Doors/albums ... 45757.html
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Spinner.com has a complete stream of "Money" available here: http://www.spinner.com/2010/11/22/the-d ... ver-money/
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

What happened to the Vancouver pint glass? It's no longer available on the website. Was it cancelled?
fpicks

Post by fpicks »

Porsche wrote:Spinner.com has a complete stream of "Money" available here: http://www.spinner.com/2010/11/22/the-d ... ver-money/

Listening now, thanks! I'll be grabbing this on my home from work tomorrow!
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

The Vancouver pint glass is apparently sold out. Did anybody get one?
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

I want to see what copy of the ad they used - I gave them one I didn't touch but then I made one that was perfect and they weren't sure if Music Today would catch up.
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

...would love to read some reviews of this new release by BMA from the freedom man forum members.....please post.....
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

While it does have additional dialogue and the phasing problems have been corrected, "Live in Vancouver 1970" sounds slightly dull and muffled in comparison to "100 Minutes." IMO, it isn't the clear winner here. As far as the music is concerned, the tracks with Albert King are what differentiate it from other 1970-era releases. Otherwise it's about average, and a step backward performance-wise from the previous release (Felt Forum). I still think they should have waited with this one.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

BallroomDays67 wrote:While it does have additional dialogue and the phasing problems have been corrected, "Live in Vancouver 1970" sounds slightly dull and muffled in comparison to "100 Minutes." IMO, it isn't the clear winner here. As far as the music is concerned, the tracks with Albert King are what differentiate it from other 1970-era releases. Otherwise it's about average, and a step backward performance-wise from the previous release (Felt Forum). I still think they should have waited with this one.
Additional differentiators: Love Me Two Times (rarely recorded in concert) and a 17+ minute Light My Fire with embedded versions of "Summertime," "Fever" and "St. James Infirmary." Now we can hear this medley sober -- unlike the Boston April 70 version.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

"Love Me Two Times" is inferior to the two killer versions from the Stockholm shows. We also have L.A. Forum, Roundhouse, Asbury Park, and a humorous version from Miami. I suppose that the Vancouver version is unique in that it's the only "1970-ized" version.

I totally agree about "Light My Fire", and should have added it to my post. Very cool medley!
mystery_train67

1970 LMTT versions also include Bakersfield, and Hawaii. both 1970-ized
Liberty Man

Post by Liberty Man »

And Long Beach.
mystery_train67

wooooord up! I've been listening to Long Beach over the last 24 hours, it used to be one of my favs as a kid, now I remember why. Thanks for posting it, most of my collection is still on cassette tape so its good to get some digital versions.

I've been listening to your dallas 70 too. Im undecided as to which source i prefer, but yours definitely has more top end... problem is, every source we have either has some bad ass noise reduction on it, or it was recorded with noise reduction, or under a blanket or something..... its like no matter what you do, you'll never be able to hear those cymbals of johns cos the higher frequencies just arent there to be brought out.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

mystery_train67 wrote:...
I've been listening to your dallas 70 too. Im undecided as to which source i prefer, but yours definitely has more top end... problem is, every source we have either has some bad ass noise reduction on it, or it was recorded with noise reduction, or under a blanket or something..... its like no matter what you do, you'll never be able to hear those cymbals of johns cos the higher frequencies just arent there to be brought out.
Since this is a show I particularly enjoy, I wonder if a professional job (I'm not saying more dedicated since the sound improvements made by the members of this forum over the last years have been really great) done with sophisticated equipment and software can brings us a better sound. I don't know if the permanently deferred official downloads will include some important audience recorded shows (Hawaii, Long Beach, Dallas, etc) but if so, I'm curious to know if they can do much better. We all know what was done in Boot Yer Butt but perhaps in the future they will be more careful.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

My copy of LMTT from Long Beach is about 4 seconds long. Was it recorded in full? I don't think I've heard the Bakersfield or Hawaii versions. It isn't included in my copy of the partial Bakersfield show.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

BallroomDays67 wrote:My copy of LMTT from Long Beach is about 4 seconds long. Was it recorded in full?
There's two different AUD sources for Long Beach. The source with the complete LMTT is the one that Bruno just uploaded.
coltturkey01

Post by coltturkey01 »

The Bakersfied Version can be heared here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipUEBsXD2A0
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

coltturkey01 wrote:The Bakersfied Version can be heared here:

Sounds like the speed/pitch corrected version at that.
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

BallroomDays67 wrote:"Love Me Two Times" is inferior to the two killer versions from the Stockholm shows. We also have L.A. Forum, Roundhouse, Asbury Park, and a humorous version from Miami.
L.A. Forum version is excellent (the whole show is awesome). About those '70 audience recordings, I would like to hear Honolulu '70 remastered without those terrible bass distortions and Long Beach '70 would be great too. Dallas '70 could be made a little bit better, but that master clone we already have is great also (those cymbals don't really exist on the recording, as the frequency spectrum goes to just 4 KHz).
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Lost Prophet wrote:
BallroomDays67 wrote:"Love Me Two Times" is inferior to the two killer versions from the Stockholm shows. We also have L.A. Forum, Roundhouse, Asbury Park, and a humorous version from Miami.
L.A. Forum version is excellent (the whole show is awesome). About those '70 audience recordings, I would like to hear Honolulu '70 remastered without those terrible bass distortions and Long Beach '70 would be great too. Dallas '70 could be made a little bit better, but that master clone we already have is great also (those cymbals don't really exist on the recording, as the frequency spectrum goes to just 4 KHz).
Did Botnick record the Honolulu show on a cassette or something? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I read some thing to that effect.
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

BallroomDays67 wrote:
Did Botnick record the Honolulu show on a cassette or something? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I read some thing to that effect.
Yes, it seems that Bruce Botnick recorded Honolulu '70 for personal purposes. But, it seems also that the master is lost, and all we have is the DCM version which is the Nth gen tape (with those very loud bass distortions, highly noticeable in the versions of "Peace Frog" and "The End") and the 3rd generation tape (which I haven't heard myself but I will one day when it gets put in wider circulation). That 3rd gen is way better than DCM version (so I've heard) with much less distortions but it has two or three cuts on it (during "Mystery Train" and "The End"), but that can be filled with the DCM source, so we can have a complete recording of this concert. Info about 3rd gen. version I got from Len and very much appreciate that.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Lost Prophet wrote:
BallroomDays67 wrote:
Yes, it seems that Bruce Botnick recorded Honolulu '70 for personal purposes. But, it seems also that the master is lost, and all we have is the DCM version which is the Nth gen tape (with those very loud bass distortions, highly noticeable in the versions of "Peace Frog" and "The End") and the 3rd generation tape (which I haven't heard myself but I will one day when it gets put in wider circulation). That 3rd gen is way better than DCM version (so I've heard) with much less distortions but it has two or three cuts on it (during "Mystery Train" and "The End"), but that can be filled with the DCM source, so we can have a complete recording of this concert. Info about 3rd gen. version I got from Len and very much appreciate that.
Who knows? Maybe Bruce has spread this story not to be pressed. I wouldn't be very surprised if the official downloads will come to include a surprise involving Honolulu '70.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

It was actually hardrockcafe who asked the question regarding Botnick's recording of the Honolulu show.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

What tape media and recording speed did Botnick use to tape Honolulu? Soundboard from PA console? Cassette or open reel tape? Tape speed? Are the circulating copies from his recording of the show?
mystery_train67

dj_vera wrote:
BallroomDays67 wrote:My copy of LMTT from Long Beach is about 4 seconds long. Was it recorded in full?
There's two different AUD sources for Long Beach. The source with the complete LMTT is the one that Bruno just uploaded.
i'd like to know what the 3rd source for this concert is.... perhaps a SB or two track... for a while, Greg was convinced there was a SB of this show.
Liberty Man

Post by Liberty Man »

Lost Prophet wrote:Yes, it seems that Bruce Botnick recorded Honolulu '70 for personal purposes. But, it seems also that the master is lost, and all we have is the DCM version which is the Nth gen tape (with those very loud bass distortions, highly noticeable in the versions of "Peace Frog" and "The End") and the 3rd generation tape (which I haven't heard myself but I will one day when it gets put in wider circulation). That 3rd gen is way better than DCM version (so I've heard) with much less distortions but it has two or three cuts on it (during "Mystery Train" and "The End"), but that can be filled with the DCM source, so we can have a complete recording of this concert. Info about 3rd gen. version I got from Len and very much appreciate that.
I did a job on the DCM version which includes bass reduction and high frequencies improved, I also made some repairs on the different cuts.
I'll reupload it in a few days in the Downloads section, if you are interested.
Liberty Man

Post by Liberty Man »

dj_vera wrote:
coltturkey01 wrote:The Bakersfied Version can be heared here:

Sounds like the speed/pitch corrected version at that.
You are right, it has quite the same pitch correction than my job but not the same duration, it seems to be a pitch correction with preserving duration.
I feel it a little too slow.
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

Sorry, Ballroom Days 67, my bad.
Liberty Man wrote: I did a job on the DCM version which includes bass reduction and high frequencies improved, I also made some repairs on the different cuts.
I'll reupload it in a few days in the Downloads section, if you are interested.
That's cool, but 'The End' and 'Peace Frog' are just too distorted on the DCM version. On 'The End', when Jim screams, that's when it's too much distorted. Anyway, I would like to hear your improvement and that's great.