The Doors (Mono Version) Amazon MP3

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

dj_vera

The Doors (Mono Version) Amazon MP3

Post by dj_vera »

For anyone that might be interested, they released the mono version of the self-titled digitally (albeit in lossy mp3 quality) on Amazon MP3: http://www.amazon.com/The-Doors-Mono-Ve ... 49&sr=1-13

You can stream it here for free, but for some reason SK is missing: http://www.myspace.com/thedoors/music/a ... s-16779143
glenn

Post by glenn »

Amazon also has the item "People Are Strange / Unhappy Girl [Digital 45]" (both songs in mono). I had never heard this mono material was going to be released (but, then again, I haven't really been paying attention).
When I was a kid, we used to put pennies on the tracks and watch them get smashed.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Light My Fire appears to run at correct speed on this mono mix. Did they correct the speed when they remastered it for mp3? Or did it also run at correct speed on the original 1967 mono mix LP?
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

glenn wrote:Amazon also has the item "People Are Strange / Unhappy Girl [Digital 45]" (both songs in mono). I had never heard this mono material was going to be released (but, then again, I haven't really been paying attention).
Yeah surprisingly this and the LMF/CS digital singles received no promotion. Both of them can be streamed on Myspace Music though.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

hardrockcafe wrote:Light My Fire appears to run at correct speed on this mono mix. Did they correct the speed when they remastered it for mp3? Or did it also run at correct speed on the original 1967 mono mix LP?
Yeah I wondered that myself. I never got a chance to hear the recently remastered mono debut, did they speed correct it?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Interesting. Wonder why this is a download-only release?
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

midnightx wrote:Interesting. Wonder why this is a download-only release?
I was wondering the same thing. Is it possible that they are planning to release this on CD?
Mouseofzen

Post by Mouseofzen »

Encuentro wrote:
midnightx wrote:Interesting. Wonder why this is a download-only release?
I was wondering the same thing. Is it possible that they are planning to release this on CD?
Any updates on this?
davis

Post by davis »

I wondered why anyone would want the mono version of the album. But, if this is the version that includes "high" with "She gets" and Jim's "fuck"s are audible in The End, I'll buy it.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

davis wrote:I wondered why anyone would want the mono version of the album. But, if this is the version that includes "high" with "She gets" and Jim's "fuck"s are audible in The End, I'll buy it.
Some people like the mono version, I guess. I have the mp3 version, and I don't like it nearly as much as the stereo versions. The stereo versions are much better. The mono version doesn't have the word "high" in Break On Through, but you can hear the "fuck" chant as you can on the vinyl. The original mono mix, as with the original stereo mix, didn't include the word "high."
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Encuentro wrote:The original mono mix, as with the original stereo mix, didn't include the word "high."
Which I would like to see corrected on future stereo reissues (as in not having "high" included). It would be interesting as a bonus track, but the historically accurate presentation is what I was used to for decades and what I still prefer. The rumor has been the Jampol is going to have Steve Hoffman remaster the catalogue again; so I can only hope that the original, historically accurate mixes are presented this time around. (assuming I want to make another purchase of these recordings)
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

midnightx wrote:
Encuentro wrote:The original mono mix, as with the original stereo mix, didn't include the word "high."
Which I would like to see corrected on future stereo reissues (as in not having "high" included). It would be interesting as a bonus track, but the historically accurate presentation is what I was used to for decades and what I still prefer. The rumor has been the Jampol is going to have Steve Hoffman remaster the catalogue again; so I can only hope that the original, historically accurate mixes are presented this time around. (assuming I want to make another purchase of these recordings)
I feel ths same way. The word "high" in Break On Through still sounds odd to me.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

I like it as a bonus track (Jim's scream of "High!" is intense), but I agree it shouldn't replace the original album version.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

The mono mix that's available for download on iTunes and AmazonMP3 is speed-corrected, hopefully we see the original stereo mix get speed-corrected as well.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

I love the way Ray's Vox punctuates Jim's "She get" in the original mix. The "high" covers part of it up. I feel like the original mix is more effective as he is building up to the "high" rather than saying it each time despite the fact that he doesn't say it in the original mix. However, he did sing it that way live, building up to the word "high." In my opinion, it's more effective that way.

I agree, Porsche, that the way he sings "high" is intense. It somehow sounds better in the 40th mix than the '99 remaster in my opinion. In the '99 remaster, it sounds as if it wasn't edited in very well. It almost sounds a little choppy. It sounds smoother in the 40th mix. I agree that the 40th mix is like a supplement to the original.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

dj_vera wrote:The mono mix that's available for download on iTunes and AmazonMP3 is speed-corrected, hopefully we see the original stereo mix get speed-corrected as well.
As I understand it, the mono mix always ran at the correct speed. It's when the stereo master was created that the speed problems were introduced.
Encuentro wrote:I agree, Porsche, that the way he sings "high" is intense. It somehow sounds better in the 40th mix than the '99 remaster in my opinion. In the '99 remaster, it sounds as if it wasn't edited in very well. It almost sounds a little choppy. It sounds smoother in the 40th mix. I agree that the 40th mix is like a supplement to the original.
Yeah, you can tell they just dropped "high" into the '99 remaster. Doesn't really sound like it fits the song. The big problem I have with the remix is that there's no low end. If you listen to the original followed by the remix, you wonder, "Where did the balls go?"
effectfreak

Post by effectfreak »

Has anyone else noticed that vocals on "Back Door Man" in 40th anniversary release sound really muddy compared to earlier versions?
Five Star Edge

Post by Five Star Edge »

Is there a verison of BOT where the line 'higher' isn't dropped in but still sung? I heard a remix where Morrison sings the whole line (She gets high) naturally and it sounds like it was from the version on S/T. Just wondering if there is a regular version available?
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Is it the entire 1st album that runs slow or just Light My Fire? The difference between the original mix and the 40th mix of LMF is very noticeable, but I haven't noticed a speed difference between the different mixes of the other songs.