GETHESEMENE

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

GETHESEMENE

Post by jamestkirk »

Long rumored, but we know never recorded....the follow up to FOREVER CHANGES.

WILL IT EVER BE, JOHNNY? WAS IT EVER ROUGHED OUT AT ALL BY LOVE?
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

Gethsemene, is most definitely still on the table. It has sort of morphed into ideas that were developed during group get togethers or "jams". Some of the songs were worked on by members of Love, and not quite finished. But most were written by me alone. This is a work in progress, still in the process of being sorted out. I know many folks are impatient, wondering if this is ever going to happen. From my perspective, finishing and releasing this "album" is my highest musical priority [period.] Stay tuned! JE.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

...with bated breath.

:D
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
fpicks

Post by fpicks »

Cool!

Just wanted to say that I met Johnny (with Aurthly and Baby Lemonade)
a few years back in Chicago when they were touring with the Zombies. What a great show! everybody was very friendly and very cool. Seeing Love and the Zombs in such a small club setting was unbelievable! I feel fortunate it have had the opportunity.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

What is the GETHSEMENE sound going to be, like Da Capo or more like Forever Changes?
When you think it's finished, are you going to record with Mike Randle and friends or is it to soon to talk about?
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

Actually Gethsemene, will sound a bit like each, of the first three Love albums. Though some of the songs, will go in a totally new direction. I have worked on this project with several people who were close to the group, including David Angel, and Vince Flaherty. Mike Randle, and all of the "Davids" will have a prominent roll, in the final product.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

These following tracks were available for the "Gethsemane Tapes" back in the days:

The Time has com from some counting to be done _Lee
Peaceful times again -Lee
Sixth Cents (or sense) -Lee
Freeway Flyers -Lee
Up town 'n down -Lee
Sanctuary -Lee/Echols
Only for a moment -Bryan Maclean
The Outlaw in me - Lee/Maclean

Do you recall any of these titles and were they recorded?
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

The Freedom Man wrote:These following tracks were available for the "Gethsemane Tapes" back in the days:

The Time has com from some counting to be done _Lee
Peaceful times again -Lee
Sixth Cents (or sense) -Lee
Freeway Flyers -Lee
Up town 'n down -Lee
Sanctuary -Lee/Echols
Only for a moment -Bryan Maclean
The Outlaw in me - Lee/Maclean

Do you recall any of these titles and were they recorded?
Those titles come from someone with a very vivid imagination, we never recorded any of them. There were literally hundreds of song titles floating around in the group, so I can't say all of those quoted, were made up, by an "outsider" but I'm quite certain, I never had any involvement with them. Love was a very mysterious group to a lot of folks, then, as well as now. There just wasn't that much readily available, factual information about us. So some people felt free to manufacture their own. and "manufacture" they most assuredly did.

For many of us, Gethsemene, was the site of the greatest betrayal in all of human history. And viewing the world through the eyes of a nineteen year old kid. I thought that title was perfectly appropriate to the situation I found myself in. And that's why I chose that name. When I think about that choice now, I can only smile, at the monumental "chutzpah" of that young boy. By the way, Arthur thought it meant get-some-money. JE.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

That mystery surrounding Love is what makes them so appealing i think. Until Michael's & John's books, we really only had rumor and innuendo...and Arthur's dislike for the press called most of what he related into question....I always thought Arthur did interviews with a wink and a nod. Even in his final "interview" in Love Story, Arthur still had that appealing twinkle in his eye.

Some of those myths surrounding Love must have been rather annoying at best and hurtful at worst, Johnny & Michael....but I am guessing you learned to ignore such drivel early on.

The Castle was one of the only sources for fans for a long time and though well done, much was no more than hearsay. Any stories or myths that really annoyed or hurt....more than others?

Are you in contact with Snoopy ever, Michael or Johnny? He seems rather bitter about his time surrounding Love...though it seems Arthur treated Snoop rather better than some other former Love members. SNOOPY STARTED SOME PRETTY FANTASTIC RUMORS HIMSELF....

Here's to Love!

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

jamestkirk wrote:That mystery surrounding Love is what makes them so appealing i think. Until Michael's & John's books, we really only had rumor and innuendo...and Arthur's dislike for the press called most of what he related into question....I always thought Arthur did interviews with a wink and a nod. Even in his final "interview" in Love Story, Arthur still had that appealing twinkle in his eye.

Some of those myths surrounding Love must have been rather annoying at best and hurtful at worst, Johnny & Michael....but I am guessing you learned to ignore such drivel early on.

The Castle was one of the only sources for fans for a long time and though well done, much was no more than hearsay. Any stories or myths that really annoyed or hurt....more than others?

Are you in contact with Snoopy ever, Michael or Johnny? He seems rather bitter about his time surrounding Love...though it seems Arthur treated Snoop rather better than some other former Love members. SNOOPY STARTED SOME PRETTY FANTASTIC RUMORS HIMSELF....

Here's to Love!
I'm not sure I've achieved the personal growth, and maturity required to understand the motives of the person who called himself "Snoopy". Though I'm working on it. JE.