LOVE's and Laurel Canyon rockers' abodes

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

LOVE's and Laurel Canyon rockers' abodes

Post by jamestkirk »

Love and it's members moved around quite a bit. That seemed to be the norm for all the musicians that lived in and around the Canyons (Laurel and Topanga) and the Strip.

The interactions (musically, chemically, and so on...:wink:) at various flats by musicians and artists who have now become legend is....legendary.

It fascinates me that a few now infamous Hollywood hotels and motels catered to & tolerated the antics and loud music of the rockers back then...motorcycles being driven through hallways etc. There was one hotel that had a conference room that even allowed bands to practice in. The establishments obviously were filled with guests that were also tolerant of the rockers and hippies and freaks....so I can only assume those abodes would not have many straights staying there. It must have been freak-heaven back then.

Any interesting stories? I noted that you (Johnny stayed at one where Rothchild stayed. Also many artists lived, more or less, "permanently" at hotels, chosen over homes...either out of choice or necessity (like Morrison did).....possibly to live out the romantic Bohemian dream?

It seems to me it was all a kind of large communal living scene in some ways, sharing music, food, and partners.....
mostly good times, before the 70's and hard drugs took hold.

Any thoughts or feelings about living the life then, Michael, Johnny?
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Re: LOVE's and Laurel Canyon rockers' abodes

Post by Johnny Echols »

jamestkirk wrote:Love and it's members moved around quite a bit. That seemed to be the norm for all the musicians that lived in and around the Canyons (Laurel and Topanga) and the Strip.

The interactions (musically, chemically, and so on...:wink:) at various flats by musicians and artists who have now become legend is....legendary.

It fascinates me that a few now infamous Hollywood hotels and motels catered to & tolerated the antics and loud music of the rockers back then...motorcycles being driven through hallways etc. There was one hotel that had a conference room that even allowed bands to practice in. The establishments obviously were filled with guests that were also tolerant of the rockers and hippies and freaks....so I can only assume those abodes would not have many straights staying there. It must have been freak-heaven back then.

Any interesting stories? I noted that you (Johnny stayed at one where Rothchild stayed. Also many artists lived, more or less, "permanently" at hotels, chosen over homes...either out of choice or necessity (like Morrison did).....possibly to live out the romantic Bohemian dream?

It seems to me it was all a kind of large communal living scene in some ways, sharing music, food, and partners.....
mostly good times, before the 70's and hard drugs took hold.

Any thoughts or feelings about living the life then, Michael, Johnny?

The Landmark was such a cool place to live, because it catered to those in what was called "show business." There were dance troupes, and members of the Ice Capades, along with musicians of all stripes. Even members of Duke Ellington's band would sometimes stay there. On any given day, one might see Gabor Szabo, and Willie Nelson, sitting around the pool, Jamming with Janis Joplin. Or Henry Vestine, teaching Mike Bloomfield a blues lick. At that very brief moment in time, everything converged, and all the stars lined up in our favor. There were so many fantastic musicians, living and congregating in one small area, (Laurel Canyon.) That looking back, it truly is hard to fathom, how many there actually were. And all of them had one common goal... creating the very best music they could. Of course there were friendly rivalries, but for the most part, there was just this magical feeling of camaraderie. The whole scene was absolutely surreal, (in the best sense) and it's sad to say, but I don't think it will ever be that way again.

On a personal note, getting to "hang" with, and Jam with musicians who were childhood heroes, was like living a dream. JE.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Thanks, Johnny....my mind boggles at the thought of such an artist mecca. The canyon of course, was always a magnet for artists and writers way back in time to the early days of LA.

You are right, I fear, about it never happening again. The world has become too jaded, too homogenized, too bottom dollar $$$ focused....the industry today would likely not have even given most of my personal 60's rock favorites a second look, let alone a record deal. So sad.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

A question for Johnny about the Castle.

Do you remember how long you all lived there and when the decision was made to vacate and why? Was it done by the whole band all at once or on an individual basis with members moving out at different times? Last question (a long shot): what became of the Castle in the immediate years after you all moved out?
You set the scene