1969 Reunion

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

BallroomDays67

1969 Reunion

Post by BallroomDays67 »

There are differing accounts of the 1969 Santa Monica Civic "reunion" show, which I believe was the last show by the "Forever Changes" lineup (minus Bryan). In "Pegasus Carousel", Michael describes it as having been a success, with Arthur "less on edge" and Johnny "as flawless as ever." However, in the Einarson book, it's described in less positive terms. Can you tell us more about that period of time? It seems somewhat similar to what occurred during the recording of "Forever Changes", with the band regrouping after having been replaced by other musicians. Was Bryan definitely out of the band for good? In addition to doing live shows, were there any discussions about recording for the Blue Thumb label? If so, was any particular material discussed?
Johnny Echols

The Santa Monica Civic affair.

Post by Johnny Echols »

Arthur finally realized that Love were in fact a group, consisting of Bryan, Kenny, Michael, Johnny, and himself. Where the original group would routinely fill rather large venue's, such as the Earl Warren Show Grounds, or the Fillmore Auditorium. His new group found it difficult to draw even a hundred people to the Whiskey. After several ill-fated outings, it was obvious the interest was just not there. They were often dissed in the press, and called "ham fisted impostors". Also the Record Companies were not happy about the lineup change. They were not looking for another predictable R&B act. An embarrassed Arthur, soon had had enough, and decided to get the original group back together.

All of the members, except Bryan, got together to play a "Warm-up" show at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Bryan Chose to take this opportunity, to demand more of his songs be added to the set. Both Arthur and I said no, so he stayed home.

The show sounded great, the guys were playing better than ever, it would have been considered a success for any other group. But for us something was missing, that something was Bryan. The [magic] was not there. We just did not have the same sparkle, the give and take. The laughter and the kidding was gone. And so was the audience connection. Things had changed that quickly. Making an unhappy situation worse, Arthur had surrounded himself with people we did not know, or like. All things considered, it just wasn't the same. Over the next few weeks we talked it out, went back and forth, and finally decided to go our separate ways.

The sad part of it is, we could have worked it out. I'm absolutely certain that if I had been more together, and less consumed with "Chasing the Dragon. I could have kept this group of people, who were so much a part of each others lives, from making a mistake, we all came to regret ! JE.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on what must have been a very difficult period.

Do you recall if Bryan wanted to perform new songs that he had written, or were they ones from the Love albums?
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Thanks for sharing your thoughts on what must have been a very difficult period.

Do you recall if Bryan wanted to perform new songs that he had written, or were they ones from the Love albums?

No, he had a bunch of brand new [Bryan] songs! JE.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I can understand why Bryan would want the "new" reunited Love to be more of a Lennon/McCartney type of marriage. But after all, even if creating the sound and color of LoVE was about ALL of Love's original members, it was Arthur's trip as the main songwriter & visionary If Bryan had become an equal partner in songwriting, it would have changed the whole aura and color of LOVE. It seems that neither you or Arthur wanted that, and for "sound" reasons.

Am I on the right track for your reasoning?
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

jamestkirk wrote:I can understand why Bryan would want the "new" reunited Love to be more of a Lennon/McCartney type of marriage. But after all, even if creating the sound and color of LoVE was about ALL of Love's original members, it was Arthur's trip as the main songwriter & visionary If Bryan had become an equal partner in songwriting, it would have changed the whole aura and color of LOVE. It seems that neither you or Arthur wanted that, and for "sound" reasons.

Am I on the right track for your reasoning?
Your reasoning is spot on, as usual. Had we gone in that direction, It would have been a different group entirely. Two of Bryan's tunes added an interesting counterpoint. Too many more, would have never worked with the audience we were trying to cultivate. Musical tastes, were not nearly as varied as they are today! Besides Bryan's songs required way too much work, in order to get them to sound like us. He had very definite ideas, that didn't always jibe with ours, and that would present a problem. There was always a fight, in trying to make them viable, and many times we just didn't see eye to eye. You say tomato, I say grapefruit!

This was all totally subjective, and mostly a matter of Arthur's, and my personal tastes, and what we deemed best for [our] group. It wasn't about "ego", or Arthur pushing his weight around, or me being recalcitrant. If a song of Bryan's was good, or had the potential to be so, we would have given it serious consideration.

Bryan was very intelligent and the two of us were great friends, and I miss him dearly. We often shared rooms when on the road, and had some very interesting and lively conversations. We got along very well.

As I've said... this is all a matter of my personal opinion. The topics I speak to in my posts, concern what I believe, or know to be fact. Or what I've been told in conversations with those directly involved. I'm not here to start a "jihad" or buck the party line. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm quite content where I am, and Salmon Rushdee doesn't need another roommate! JE.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Thanks Johnny. A measured and forthright answer from you as usual....that is what impressed me most while watching Love Story...every time. I watch it from time to time, sometimes in parts or complete. The music and vibes are very good, but Love Story is another subject I want to start soon.....
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley