The Whisky

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

BallroomDays67

The Whisky

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I had no idea that Love played such a crucial role in the history of the Whisky A Go Go. In the Einarson book, Arthur says that the owners were considering closing the Whisky before Love started performing there and drawing huge crowds. Love's highly successful shows in turn encouraged other bands to perform at the Whisky. Would it be accurate to say that Love's initial shows at the Whisky marked the beginning of its rise to legendary status?
Johnny Echols

Re: The Whisky

Post by Johnny Echols »

BallroomDays67 wrote:I had no idea that Love played such a crucial role in the history of the Whisky A Go Go. In the Einarson book, Arthur says that the owners were considering closing the Whisky before Love started performing there and drawing huge crowds. Love's highly successful shows in turn encouraged other bands to perform at the Whisky. Would it be accurate to say that Love's initial shows at the Whisky marked the beginning of its rise to legendary status?

The Whisky had been experiencing a decline in revenue, since the days when Johnny Rivers was king. It was the beginning of a changing of the guard in Hollywood. And because there were so few patrons, the Whisky had a reputation for not paying their acts. This caused many groups to be leery of playing there, making the situation even worse. So when we were booked, we came with our own audience who filled the place beyond capacity, they made money and paid us well. Soon other successful groups began to accept bookings. It was a win-win for every body. JE.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Why were Love willing to give the Whisky a chance despite that reputation? Was it confidence that the large audience of dedicated fans would ensure payment? Also, what brought about the move to the Whisky?
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Why were Love willing to give the Whisky a chance despite that reputation? Was it confidence that the large audience of dedicated fans would ensure payment? Also, what brought about the move to the Whisky?

Ronnie Haran, (who later became our manager,) worked there. She Felt the Whisky would provide an excellent showcase for the group. So she introduced Arthur and I to Elmer Valentine, who assured us that if we played, we would be paid. Besides the Whisky still held a kind of mystique for musicians in Hollywood. So we decided to give it a shot, "glad we did" JE. :D
Last edited by Johnny Echols on Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Hey Johnny, do you remember Ronnie suing Jac Holzman?
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

jim4371 wrote:Hey Johnny, do you remember Ronnie suing Jac Holzman?

I didn't realize she had, but if it was about him promising her a percentage of the Doors, and then reneging, she was absolutely right! JE.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Any more details she shared about that? Who do you think should get credit for leading Holzman to see the Doors? Some people give credit to Ronnie, and Holzman himself gives credit to Arthur. Though, since he was sued by her, he might have a good reason not to credit her..

Here are a few articles from Billboard in 1971 about it:

Image Image
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

jim4371 wrote:Any more details she shared about that? Who do you think should get credit for leading Holzman to see the Doors? Some people give credit to Ronnie, and Holzman himself gives credit to Arthur. Though, since he was sued by her, he might have a good reason not to credit her.
Arthur made the recommendation, and Ronnie made the introductions, All of us were aware of her participation. That's so like Jac, to try and weasel out on a technicality. How did it resolve?
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Sounds reasonable.
As of yet, I haven't found out what it was. Most likely settled out of court, since I can't find any other mention of the case in print.