LoVE Story

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

LoVE Story

Post by jamestkirk »

In my opinion, Love Story is the best music documentary ever. Well produced, intelligent, with great use of interviews and footage.....and of course, the best source material to utilize--the Music of Love!

It gives me great joy to hear Arthur speak proudly of British Parliament officially entering in the minutes that Love is the greatest rock band on earth, and Forever Changes--the greatest album ever.....and that all good members of Parliament should take time out to go and see them perform.

The Mayor of London said that hearing Forever Changes was as close to a life changing experience as he had ever had.

But it breaks my heart to hear Arthur say he "is still waiting to see Love inducted into the Hall"....what a shame. If any band had an enduring and lasting influence on rock & music in general it was LOVE & Arthur Lee. Isn't that the criteria? Come on....ABBA?!!!

Arthur still seemed like such an imposing and charismatic figure in the documentary, even though he was already quite ill with Leukemia by then. It is sad that Arthur never got to see the film's final cut before passing away.

Any thoughts here on the documentary would be welcome. Anything left out?

Of course, the perfect compliment to Love Story is the 2003 Forever Changes Concert DVD.

Here's to LoVE.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by jamestkirk on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

ditto...love love.... :D
Johnny Echols

Re: LoVE Story

Post by Johnny Echols »

jamestkirk wrote:In my opinion, Love Story is the best music documentary ever. Well produced, intelligent, with great use of interviews and footage.....and of course, the best source material to utilize--the Music of Love!

It gives me great joy to hear Arthur speak proudly of British Parliament officially entering in the minutes that Love is the greatest rock band on earth and that Forever Changes, the greatest album ever.....and that all good members of Parliament should take time out to go and see them perform.

Here's to LoVE.

:mrgreen:

I thought the Love Story dvd, was very entertaining, and they did an excellent job in telling one aspect of the "Love Story" Though I do believe, more of an effort should have been made in telling the story of the music itself. Kind of the way they do it on "Behind the Music."

I also think a bit more time discussing Bryan's role would have been very informative. Though he held very little sway in the day to day decisions. Bryan Maclean, played a huge role in the sound, and direction of the music. With his song writing, guitar playing, and personality, Bryan was an integral and essential component, in that which was the group Love. Before he came on board, [we] were little more than a "jam" band, albeit a very popular one. Nevertheless reality is what it is.

Kenny Forssi, was a supremely innovative bass player, who receives very little recognition for his contributions. He played exactly the right thing, at the right time. And most fans are unaware, that Kenny, (through his own initiative), turned three disparate unfinished songs, (written in different keys) into what became [the] signature song for the group...."You Set the Scene".

Michael Stuart-Ware, was the [Anchor,] the glue that held it all together. He laid the "perfect" foundation for each song, and was more concerned with the underpinnings, and rhythmic counterpoint, than he was with putting himself out front. As was the custom of many drummers at the time.

Johnny Echols,"what can I say," He (along with Bryan) played rhythm guitar on most, if not all of the tracks. He played all of the guitar flourishes, that weave throughout the songs. And as far as the lead guitar parts. "I tried to play that which complemented the song. Most lead players at the time, shouted me, me, look how many notes I can play. I always thought, the most important thing is the song.... not Me!"

Arthur Lee. The man was a genius "word-smith." He could paint a picture with words, like no-other, before or since. He was also a vocalist without peer. Arthur brought darkness, light, color, subtlety, and outrageousness to his songs, in a way that is absolutely unique. As an all-around visionary, creator, performer.... Arthur Taylor Lee, is one of a kind!

When we dwell on personalities, or who did what to whom, we tend to lose the essence of who these people were. They were five uniquely talented [Individuals.] Who were never told what, or how to play. But were given the opportunity, earned through ability. Along with, blood sweat tears toil, and laughter. To experiment, invent, and create.... which culminated in the creation of a body of work.... that has become timeless! JE.
Last edited by Johnny Echols on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I think that it's an excellent documentary, and especially enjoyed the interviews with Arthur, Johnny and Bryan at some of the locations that played an important role in the history of Love.

Johnny, what was it like to revisit the former site of Bido Litos? When had you last been there? Were you surprised by anything that you saw, either because it had or hadn't changed much?

I also really enjoyed the outtake filmed at Canter's. I've been there many times.
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

BallroomDays67 wrote:I think that it's an excellent documentary, and especially enjoyed the interviews with Arthur, Johnny and Bryan at some of the locations that played an important role in the history of Love.

Johnny, what was it like to revisit the former site of Bido Litos? When had you last been there? Were you surprised by anything that you saw, either because it had or hadn't changed much?

I also really enjoyed the outtake filmed at Canter's. I've been there many times.
The experience was bitter-sweet. I hadn't been back at Bido Lito's, since we last played there. I'm not really sure what I was expecting. But when I got there, everything started flooding back. The "vibe" was as strong as ever, even though the space had undergone massive changes, the "air" was still the same. I felt the years melt away, it was very much like coming home! Canters was a different story, I've been there many many times over the years. Coming back as a kind of "relic" from another day, was disconcerting, to put it mildly. I felt very much "out of time," and couldn't wait to be out of [there.] JE.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Lead singers and lead guitarists were what was hot then....you are right, it was a ME kind of trip.

Avery few drummers were singled out-Ginger Baker, Keith Moon=and an even fewer bassists. Bruce Palmer is another underr-rated bassist. He was the heart beat and innovator that gave Buffalo Springfield their unique sound....as did Dewey Martin. Spring was a top favorite for me in the 60's.
Michael told me he really loved Dewey's playing and his favorite was "Hot Dusty Roads"

What did you think of the Springfield and did you see them at their heights at the Whiskey?
=)

I would like to say I admire your philosophy on the part a guitarist should play in the music. I always enjoy the way your playing weaves itself around Arthur's singing.
Another favorite guitarist that plays in a way similar to your convictions was Lee Underwood, long time guitarist for my favorite --Tim Buckley.

What did you think of Underwood...and Buckley-- as a guitarist also. Buckley was another innovator that did not rest on his laurels!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

I love Both Buckley, and Underwood. They were about the music, not the bull**** JE.