All you need is LoVE and the Beatles

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

All you need is LoVE and the Beatles

Post by jamestkirk »

Were you personally influenced by the Beatles music, or at least by their success, as an inspiration. Many it seems, were. Even Dylan admitted admiration for them before going electric.

Arthur WAS, I believe I remember reading. Of course Arthur was influenced by so many of the great blues and jazz artists first and foremost.

I guess it was hard not to be inspired at least by the Beatles. I was a drummer in a little rock band in 7th grade....we saw with that first chorus of "She Loves You" that any one with a guitar or drum and a will could play music, just like the Boys, Before then it was the star solo artists with back up bands you never saw. Now all one needed was a bass, guitar, drums, and you were on your way.

I think the best part of the Beatles is that with the best of the groups like Love or Buffalo Springfield, the Beatles inspired them to strive to achieve, not imitate!

What were your influences-- Michael.... Johnny?
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

I most assuredly [was] influenced by the Beatles. Not just the music, but their whole persona. Those dudes were [the] essence of "Cool" back then.

As for personal influences, from Jazz, there is Coltrane, Miles, Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, Gabor Szabo, Charles Lloyd, Elvin Jones etc. From the Blues world, there's John Lee Hooker, BB King, T-bone Walker, Albert king, Luther Allison etc. I love most music, and am always interested in hearing from someone who has something to say..... Known, or unknown! JE.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Did the American Four/Grass Roots/Love include any Beatles songs in their live set?
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Did the American Four/Grass Roots/Love include any Beatles songs in their live set?
That's really strange, as pervasive and ubiquitous as they were. And we being a club band, (the American Four) I can't recall playing any of their songs. We played the Stones "Satisfaction" and " As Tears Go By." We did "Gloria" by Them, and we did the Byrd's "Tambourine Man," and many many other covers. But never once do I recall ever even attempting to do a Beatle song! And I can't even tell you why! JE.